Pros and Cons of EMTCity

DwayneEMTP

After all said above, I have some more.

Pro:

• one of the rare very professional forums (the only one in english I know), I learn a lot and I get to recall a lot long forgotten. Maybe it really helps me in some decisions for my future.
  • it's fun to get into english writing again
  • the working chat is cool, missed IRC for a real long time (since when there were professional emergency channels)

Con:

• readable without registration, searchable by google. if identified, i sure will get in some idiotic trouble (again). The pro's above make it worth it, though.
  • you can't get far away enough to not meet someone from home - even here is one who knows (and occasionally works with) my department. :)
  • much too time consuming!
  • some strange things, forum options and things i didn't yet get familiar with (technically)

Thanks for letting me beeing a part.

Thought about starting a new topic, but I think it fits in this discussion. I was recently labeled a troll because I did not agree with the majority in the room on a topic. I do not believe I am a troll, but for the purposes of this discussion I will count myself as one, since that is how I was labeled.

So I ask, if you could wave a magic wand and get rid of all of the trolls, what would EMTCITY look like ? Would it be better, maybe, but maybe not? I think I know (by peoples scores) which ones you consider trolls. Funny thing though, their posts seem to be the ones that get the most views and responses, and I believe some of those topics are very thought provoking, whether you agree with them or not.

Next, I would ask for a clear definition of "A TROLL", as I imagine it differs from person to person.

Thought about starting a new topic, but I think it fits in this discussion. I was recently labeled a troll because I did not agree with the majority in the room on a topic.

So I ask, if you could wave a magic wand and get rid of all of the trolls, what would EMTCITY look like ? .

Next, I would ask for a clear definition of "A TROLL", as I imagine it differs from person to person.

Well, I don't think you are a troll. whatever that may be. I would not apologize to a person who I thought was just causing trouble. I kind of miss going back and forth with you. Even though we don't agree on a lot of stuff I enjoy your tenacity. :whistle:

You are corerect in saying that if we all agreed the forum would be a boring place.

removing the trolls would just get us new trolls in different clothing.

Personally I like the trolls. Keeps discussion lively. Funny thing is that those labeled as trolls usually already know they are trolls.

I think that you were labeled a troll in that thread because you kept refusing to directly address the arguments put out to counter yours and instead kept repeating the same things over and over. The same happened to Flaming in his thread, and others if I remember correctly.

The City doesn't benefit from Trolls. Their arguments are not productive, and then the entire thread often degrades into the lowest common denominator that we see here. You didn't get labeled a troll because you had a contrary idea, you were labeled that way because you refused to accept, or even discuss the idea of risk/benefit in EMS. And then you got caught lying about how your incorrect age came to be posted. I think, that in that thread, the label fit you. But that's not the be all, end all. At least not if you're able to say, "Man, I wish I would have done that differently."

I've been labeled a troll in the past, and rightfully so. There were a few times when I just simply couldn't see any possible right answer but my own ( and several times that I posted shit faced drunk that were real treats) and was terribly disappointed that everyone else, that I had once respected, could be so completely ignorant. But the label, as you and I have proved, isn't terminal. We get off into the ditch and our friends here drag us back out again...over and over if necessary if they can see that you're at least holding out your hand for them to grab. Staying to play, and raising up your hand when necessary....definitely not troll behavior.

I don't know of a single regular poster here that doesn't get hard nipples over being challenged and disagreed with in a logical, adult manner. That is much of what most of us are here for. That is not what trolls bring to the table.

If all of the trolls disappeared tomorrow the City would lose nothing. As it's lost nothing with Crotchity being gone. On his good days he could have a decent perspective, but he had maybe 5% good days...and they in no way made up for his ignorant, bigoted shit stirring.

Would I ban you and flaming as trolls? No, of course not. I was really disappointed in your unwillingness to even attempt to see an alternate point of view in that thread, but I didn't believe that you were simply there to disrupt the thread.

Would I ban Flaming (If I had the power, which I don't, just so's everyone is clear.)? It's a close thing...often I believe that his only reason for posting in a thread is that he believes that it will cause issues, and if he argues like a child then he gets all of the attention that he is seeking, validates his, "You just hate me 'cause I'm gay" mantra. Definitely troll behavior, yet at times I get the feeling that he might actually turn a corner some day and try and be productive.

When you've got everyone in a thread, many of them long time, respected members saying, "You know, I think you're off in the ditch on this." yet you spend days saying, "I guess you're all just idiots and hypocrites beings you won't admit that I'm right." then you have to take a look and see what's going on.

I've even forgiven you for claiming to hate me in your screen name...

Just sayin'...

Dwayne

Edit. For example, I think that this was an awesome, sincere, productive question.

I don't know of a single regular poster here that doesn't get hard nipples over being challenged and disagreed with in a logical, adult manner. That is much of what most of us are here for.

Guilty bro LOL

That is not what trolls bring to the table.

So the question is, what do Kiwi's bring except a funny accent and odd-sounding medicines like GTN and salbutamol? :D

...( and several times that I posted shit faced drunk that were real treats) ..

Dude, you almost made me spit my whisky all over the keyboard!

Edited by kiwimedic
  • Like 1

Thought about starting a new topic, but I think it fits in this discussion. I was recently labeled a troll because I did not agree with the majority in the room on a topic. I do not believe I am a troll, but for the purposes of this discussion I will count myself as one, since that is how I was labeled.

So I ask, if you could wave a magic wand and get rid of all of the trolls, what would EMTCITY look like ? Would it be better, maybe, but maybe not? I think I know (by peoples scores) which ones you consider trolls. Funny thing though, their posts seem to be the ones that get the most views and responses, and I believe some of those topics are very thought provoking, whether you agree with them or not.

You blantently LIED to us and I think I have pointed that out

Ok I can't help myself here.......Sorry

What about the Ogre?? Thats me!!! Oh and the Grinch Yep thats me too Ok I better stop while I'm ahead. I couldnt help myself. LMAO

I like the city for the fact that I have learned a lot from the people here. Yes there are some people that are "tough" but some of those people have challenged my thinking and helped me as a Medic. I know I don't get the chance to get on here much, but when I am I find it helpful and it also gives me a place to visit with many friends I have gained over the years. I have run into Trolls but they are part of life. You never will rid yourself of the trolls. I guess I have learned to just laugh at them and move on.

So is all that clear as mud? I am running on no sleep LOL.

So the question is, what do Kiwi's bring except a funny accent and odd-sounding medicines like GTN and salbutamol? :D

If you bring that, do you really need to bring anything else? Man, suddenly I'm in the mood for some Outback Steakhouse.

EDIT: As for a troll, I feel they are basically someone that comes just to stir the shit and not contribute in a useful way. Different opinions and disagreement are what make this place great. HLPP, I wouldn't consider you a troll. Hard headed and a little backtracking at times, sure, but I can't say I'd fault you for that. As for crotchity, good riddens. As for Flaming, he started well but lately seems to be trolling a bit. He seems to have an agenda that he wants to push (and it's not confined to sexual orientation) and attacks those that don't go along with his plan. Maybe I'm wrong (I hope I am) but we'll see.

Edited by ERDoc

If you bring that, do you really need to bring anything else? Man, suddenly I'm in the mood for some Outback Steakhouse.

Touche good sir; have I mentioned I am also a Consultant Kiwiologist?

Hmm this bloke looks a bit crook, nurse, 500 cc's of All Blacks stat! :D

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.