Pros and Cons of EMTCity

DwayneEMTP

Hey all,

Having about 700hrs/day to sit and think, I was thinking today about the pros and cons of EMTCity. What happens best here? And worst?

Here are a few that come to mind for me...

Pro:

An endless supply of information, in context.

An amazing variety of providers from all parts of the world, at all levels of experience.

Plenty of thick skinned folks to remind me when I'm being to much of an asshole.

Cons:

I think that often we are too hard on the new folks. Expecting someone exploring to be able to take advice in the same tone as someone that's been here a while is unrealistic I think.

Things I hate:

People that can't seem to spell their own name one day and then the next are claiming that the cellular physilology of the newly discovered Angolian tropical disease should be common knowledge to any 'serious' provider.

Trolls

People that have no opinion until someone with bigger balls expresses their and then says something to the effect of, "Yeah! me too! That's what I was going to say!"

Those are off the top of my head...any ideas?

Dwayne

Damn, you seriously do have too much time on your hands! :D

I see the City as a resource. There are a great deal of knowledgeable people here and I have learned great things from them. A lot of the stuff I read here I then research myself which leads to a better understanding and a greater knowledge.

As in every community, there are also the village idiots. This is a public forum and so anyone can join. I personally don't have a problem with most, but it is annoying to be in a great topic of conversation and have somebody steamroll through it with their ignorance. I sometimes think that there should be a little more Moderation at the City.

All in all, I think the pro's far outweigh the cons and I hope to be visiting here for a long time to come.

WM

Pros: I keep coming back

Cons: I keep coming back

This site is a good tool to kill a few minutes, learn something new, teach a little, shoot the bull and generally engage the neurons in something collectively constructive.

And I've met a few interesting people here.

But the best thing is you blokes over this side aren't as queer as those neo-Nazi bastards who run that other site :D

Edited by kiwimedic
  • Like 1

Pros: I keep coming back

Cons: I keep coming back

This site is a good tool to kill a few minutes, learn something new, teach a little, shoot the bull and generally engage the neurons in something collectively constructive.

And I've met a few interesting people here.

But the best thing is you blokes over this side aren't as queer as those neo-Nazi bastards who run that other site :D

Uh? Am I missing something? Where is that?

pros

Great place to have a discussion about calls you have done where you think you could have done something different

Have a chance to meet some real great people and make some new friends

The people on this site are for the most part are all passionate about EMS and are active in participating in discussions in a positive manner.

Cons

sometimes we judge people to quick.

It is addicting and I don't get my work done.

Would be nice to have a forum for BLS discussions only.

Pros

Reality check to force my head out of my ass

amazingly supportive community when bad things happen

smart smart people that collectively know waaaaay more than any 1 person

different locations, job paradigms, thus expanded point of view for any one willing to listen

and last but not least - administers nothing like the neo nazis on that other site. (I quit there over a year ago and I haven't been back)

Cons

some pretty harsh words from people that don't see the nuances (takes balls to post here)

unrequited needs for face to face time with people that sometimes become close as family

• Like 1

I swear my first posts at that, or one of those neonazi sites was to some dickhead that was bashing, (supposedly kindly but with obvious arrogant passive aggression), on some kid that had asked what I thought was a simple, but common question.

I posted something like, "Hey hotshot, how's about you grab your tweezers, put your limp dick back in your pants and cut this kid some slack? Sorry man..Ignore the internet hero...This is what I think....blah, blah, blah."

The very first response that I got to my very first post when I checked back was to see that I'd been banned! And friggin' Dust was a member there at the same time! WTF? Heh....

Yet every month I get a 'We miss you! Come back!" email...Funny shit right there...

And for the record, if this thread derails and ends up just talking shit about stuff? I'm good with that too... :-) I'm just really happy to be able to bullshit with people that speak English...

Dwayne

• Like 3

I swear my first posts at that, or one of those neonazi sites was to some dickhead that was bashing, (supposedly kindly but with obvious arrogant passive aggression), on some kid that had asked what I thought was a simple, but common question.

I posted something like, "Hey hotshot, how's about you grab your tweezers, put your limp dick back in your pants and cut this kid some slack? Sorry man..Ignore the internet hero...This is what I think....blah, blah, blah."

The very first response that I got to my very first post when I checked back was to see that I'd been banned! And friggin' Dust was a member there at the same time! WTF? Heh....

Yet every month I get a 'We miss you! Come back!" email...Funny shit right there...

And for the record, if this thread derails and ends up just talking shit about stuff? I'm good with that too... :-) I'm just really happy to be able to bullshit with people that speak English...

Dwayne

Oh, now I know what you lot are talking about!

That's the other thing I've noticed lately, more of us are willing to put our balls onto the line in order to learn from a scenario. I think it's great that people feel comfortable enough to do that here. The logical conclusion to all of this is that we can look forward to some excellent case scenario's in the near future.

I know you'll think I'm over the top ( well, he would anyway..) but I can see a certain person looking down upon us and smiling.

WM

• Like 1

Pros:

I have met some very interesting people over the years and made some great friends.

Always something for me to debate.

Great time killer.

Cons:

I have met some very interesting people over the years and made some great friends.

Always something for me to debate.

Great time killer.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.