Abuses of the EMS uniform

When you buy the alcohol;

Other Consequences you probably did not think about;

If you are found out; the Law has the ability to also go after the one person & business that sold you the alcohol.

http://www.iihs.org/research/qanda/underage.html

) Codified Statute: 18 Pa. Cons. Stat. s. 6307 About relevant text excerpts

Effective from 1/1/1998 or earlier (first date of APIS coverage) through 1/1/2006 (latest date of APIS coverage).

Relevant Text:

6307. Misrepresentation of age to secure liquor or malt or brewed beverages

(a) Offense defined. - A person is guilty of a summary offense for a first violation and a misdemeanor of the third degree for any subsequent violations if he, being under the age of 21 years, knowingly and falsely represents himself to be 21 years of age or older to any licensed dealer, distributor or other person, for the purpose of procuring or having furnished to him, any liquor or malt or brewed beverages.

(:lol: Minimum penalty. - In addition to any other penalty imposed pursuant to section 6310.4 (relating to restriction of operating privileges) or this title or other statute, a person who is convicted of violating subsection (a) may be sentenced to pay a fine of not more than $500 for subsequent violations. No court shall have the authority to suspend any sentence as defined in this section.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many years ago we had an employee wear his squad jacket off duty and purchased liquor. He was observed by a hospital employee that notified the EMS manager. to make it short, he was excused for unprofessional conduct and behavior, (as noted in HHR) that might cause embarrassment to the company.

This person AK is illuding to, appears to be more than immature. Everyone makes mistakes, but it takes an idiot to ignore advice and purposely repeat them. Unfortunately, they will get caught. Their medical career will be over forever, as well as leaving a blackeye to whom they represent. Shame youth and ignorance will tarnish ones life forever, so many do not understand in this business forgiveness and a forgetful memory is hard to come by.

Word of advice to all students and those new in EMS. You may hear of all the crazy behavior, (which sometimes is true) but those in business realize one stupid mistake is all it takes to ruin and end your career forever... so, think at long range and consider is it worth it ?

Like the previous posters, I too am appalled at the behavior of this person. EMS struggles for professionalism, and this does nothing to assist us in achieving that.

We all know of incidents where people use the uniform for personal gain, and it continues to be an embarassment for the profession.

AK, I hope that the person you refer to reads these posts, and that they take it seriously. THe actions they commit now will have a detrimental effectnot only on their own career, but on the profession as a whole.

AK, keep us up to date - hopefully this thread reaches this person in time.

WOW YOU PPL GET DISCOUNTS, I NEVER KNEW THAT.

Advice to the underage guy who thinks that wearing uniform makes you anything but, I will say your a shrewed prude.

Drink and driving kills, if you havent been to one and you think you can do just about anything, should goto the hospital's ICU when the family decide to stop the vent of their brain dead loved one, who in fact was hit by a drunk driver. Who are you when you decide that it's ok to wear the uniform, who gave you permission that you could, I would be very afraid because AK knows who you are and he could very well report you.

I'd be $hitting my bricks but then again, I'm alot smarter than you and wouldnt dare ruin a good thing for me or hurt the loss of loved ones if I ever dared driving drunk thinking I can drive no problem, look at the big I am, I'm NOT a show off.

Dont be a smart a$$, you have brains, maybe you should use them from time to time, maybe you'll acomplish something with it. Wanna make your parents proud, do something right for a change.

We get discounts for people in uniform who are (should be) on duty. Keep in mind that going to or coming home from work in uniform, I consider it "ok" if you get a discount (for you, not your entire family). I never ask why I did not receive a discount if I didn't get one where one is normally given. I also do not chronically go to restaurants and such to eat specifically to get discounted food. In fact I can't remember the last time I was given a discount on anything because I was on the job (and I NEVER bring a lunch and always buy food).

I 100% disagree with people wearing their uniform/partial uniform off duty and expecting to get a discount. This has lead (in some cases) for us to loose our discount. I have heard of guys who are on their days off wearing a work t-shirt and going in with their family and expecting a discount. I don't know what these people are thinking.

At least here however their is really no mistaking people as things that they aren't. All 3 emergency services (police, fire, ambulance) are all municipal and all career. There are no "volunteer" or private services that work 911 in the city. The only one that even remotely could be mistaken are private, non-paramedic (in fact in the majority of cases non-anything really medical) transfer services. They drive an ambulance and could be mistaken for paramedics at times, and I'm sure they are.

Now on to buying alcohol. I probably buy alcohol in uniform a handful of times a year (always on the way home from work and usually because I don't have time to go home and change etc...I am of legal age). I don't go into a bar or something in uniform. I go to the beer or liquor store and go home. I have never been asked (jokingly or otherwise) about drinking on the job or approached by how it is wrong to be doing this.

Using your uniform for the specific and overt purpose of buying alcohol (illegally) is wrong. And while I'm sure if you have been on the job a while, you have "gotten out of something" due to your position (i.e. speeding ticket), you are not purposefully doing something illegal knowing that you will get a pass because of a jacket.

Reassess priorities.

It was Dust wasn't it? Was he using his uniform to sneak into a local teahouse?

Seriously though, very bad form on the part of the City member who is using his position to illegally buy alcohol. I agree with what the others said, if you get caught your career is going to take a big hit.

As far as abuse goes let me tell a little story.

When I worked in Tulsa we had several area restaurants that would give free food to EMS, Fire and Police. During an OT shift with a part-time Para we were posted close to one of these fast food joints so I decided to grab some chow while we could. As we pulled in I asked my partner if she was hungry and she said no. So I hope out, walk up to one of the speakers (It was a Sonic) and place my order, my partner then pops out of the unit and orders food. I asked if she had changed her mind and she said no, she was just getting it to take home to her son after the shift. :shock:

To me this was wrong and being the Senior Para on that truck I cancelled our orders and then explained to her how not cool that was. It really ruffled her feathers but I did not care. The franchise owner has made the decision to provide crews with food when they are on shift, not to feed their families. This decision costs him money and I was sickened that someone would abuse it.

When I related this story to my usual partner he informed me there were employees who would go to some of these restaurants off duty in uniform to get free food.

Just goes to show there are a never ending supply of assholes in EMS.

Peace,

Marty

We have several eating establishments that give on duty personnel a discount. Papa John's gives us 50% off every order. I wonder, is that policy specific to that particular store or is it a company wide policy? Are they under the impression that we're volunteers? Seems kinda silly for me to get a discount when I'm making more per hour than the three guys putting my order together combined. I've never been comfortable with this and I cringe when guys say "hey, make sure they give us the discount this time" when a crew goes out to pick up the food. There are plenty of people out there more deserving of a discount than me. Give it to the volly fire fighter that buys his equipment with his own money. Better yet, give it to the WWII veteran trying to squeak out a living on social security.

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate the effort on the part of the business community and I certainly don't look down upon providers that take advantage of the generosisty. I just don't think what I do is special enough to be worth special treatment.