Abuses of the EMS uniform

Reread fromt he beginning please. This thread had nothing to do with the perks we get while on duty in uniform, it was more of a focus on an UNDERAGE person using his uniform to PURCHASE ALCOHOL!! This is why we were "casting stones" as you say.

My apologies AK. When I closed the sentence with "personal vehicle" I had intended to imply off duty while driving to or from being on duty. In addition, here is your opening salvo;

"Hello to all

Just solicitng opinions on people that use their uniform for personal gain or discounts. We have all seen these types. You know the ones that wear them to a certain restaraunt in order to get the discount which is normally afforded to on duty crews or the ones that call up the pizza joint and request the discount despite not being on duty. "

Your "focus" on alcohol doesn't emerge until the third paragraph of your thread. I agree that what this person did was wrong. I also felt it was time to stir the pot and see if anyone responding to this thread had gotten off of a moving traffic violation while in uniform, off duty and driving their own personal vehicle at speeds they knew were against the law. Kind of a "discount" so to speak.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Pick one year from my life between 15 and 20 and you will find enough broken laws, shameful behavior and things I wish I could change ...

The absolute worse thing that could happen is that this young man believes that he is as vile and worthless as you all have told him he is. He's not...He's a kid.

I think it was Ruffems that said things would get ugly.

We all make mistakes being young. It does make me question the wisdom of putting those too young in the EMS position. It is asking professionalism, discretion, and adult behavior in addition to placing significant power, responsibility and trust in the hands of those who are not yet adults in society's eyes. I certainly recognize this is hard enough in those of us over 25, 30, 45, etc.... however, life experience, education, maturity does change who you are. But those that abuse it should be called on it (and let me say right now I am in no way implying everyone underage abuses their position).

If you screw up, you either learn from it and benefit from it or you don't. If you can learn from it, fantastic.

I hope this person is not chased away, drawn and quartered, flogged in the streets, or burned at the stake.

Let's not all go to bed mad.

Personally, I'm too lazy to put on my uniform just for a discount, but I've never understood the glamor or fun of getting drunk either. The only place that I will ask for a discount out of uniform is the local movie theater, but they give a discount to off-duty fire or police on weekdays anyways (I know, I used to work there).

Ok, the thread is going to be locked for several reasons.

We all have made our point by now and maybe any future young members will review it and take heed.

Yes, I could have made this a hypothetical and I debated back and forth before posting. However, I decided in this case tough love was best. No BSing, cut to the chase. The reason I felt so strongly is because I have immense admiration of this individual. He has so much potential and I thought if we rallied behind him with positive peer pressure, things would correct themselves. It did not quite turn out that way, so alas we must end the chat. He reminds me of myself when I was the same age, full of gusto and passion for the business. I also know the stupid things I did and I was fortunate enough to have certain mentors that I repsected steer me back on course so as not to ruin my chances at an EMS career.

I have now talked with the person in question and have been corrected. I will stand here in front of you all and make a formal apology to him and take whatever comments you wish to pm my way. Evidently, I missed a "just joking" comment. He assures me that despite contemplating such a thing, he could not and would not ever do such a thing as it would ruin his chances of a nice career in EMS. I apologize to you sir, I will take you at your word.

All though things have been harshly said, I hope he realizes it is only because we are passionate about our business and the fact that we are constantly trying to keep higher standards presented to the general public at all times. May all of our dedication and determination pass onto him as he is the next generation that will one day be passing it on down the line.