Abuses of the EMS uniform

Hello to all

Just solicitng opinions on people that use their uniform for personal gain or discounts. We have all seen these types. You know the ones that wear them to a certain restaraunt in order to get the discount which is normally afforded to on duty crews or the ones that call up the pizza joint and request the discount despite not being on duty.

These types of people have always pissed me off as they have no respect for the profession and just no common sense. I remember when one place cut us off due to abuse from off duty members. I never ask for these discoutns ever!! Even if I know they give it to us normally and they accidently forget one time, I will not ask. It is not my right, it is only a privelige.

What prompted this rant of mine you ask? Well, it seems as if a young member of the City who we all have grown to appreciate and have been mentoring/advising feels it is ok for him to wear his uniform to purchase alcohol. He is underage, however whenever he wears it, they sell him alcohol. So not only does he not have respect for the uniform or profession, he is furthering a negative image of EMS by buying in uniform and he is also showing blatant disregard for the law. It must be ok to break the law and disrespect us all because you have a uniform on. WHat makes this ok? Well, he says he isnt worried about being fired because he is "just a vollie". What kind of crap is this?

Young man, you know who you are, and I will no longer defend your character in PMs as I have done many times over the past few weeks.

You have a lot of explaining to do if you ever wish to have credibility or respect from me and I am sure many others will say the same.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:shock: Do any of you know what would happen if I tried to buy alcohol (I'm well above age, BTW) while I had any part of my uniform showing? First of all, someone would probably have a camera, and then someone would call the complaint unit, and then I'd probably end up with my picture on the front page of the paper with some sensationalist headline that was only partially true. Ak, this goes beyond who's giving who private EKG lessons in the back of the ambulance, this is a matter of some serious offenses, if you don't want to say who it is, I am of the humble opinion that it is your duty as a public safety provider to take whatever steps necessary to make sure this behavior is alerted to the proper people. I sure hope it isn't who I'm thinking of.

I Agree this kind of behavior is intolerable and AK you should alert the proper people. Be it this kids' instructors, employers, supervisors, etc. Whether or not you want to reveal him to the city is your business but his actions are a detriment and disgrace to EMS and he should have some kind of retribution for his actions whether from his instructors/employers -suspension from whatever program he is in or fired or just reamed by the city. :?

:shock: Do any of you know what would happen if I tried to buy alcohol (I'm well above age, BTW) while I had any part of my uniform showing? First of all, someone would probably have a camera, and then someone would call the complaint unit, and then I'd probably end up with my picture on the front page of the paper with some sensationalist headline that was only partially true. Ak, this goes beyond who's giving who private EKG lessons in the back of the ambulance, this is a matter of some serious offenses, if you don't want to say who it is, I am of the humble opinion that it is your duty as a public safety provider to take whatever steps necessary to make sure this behavior is alerted to the proper people. I sure hope it isn't who I'm thinking of.

Yet the rubber duckies can march down 5th Avenue shitfaced in their dress uniforms...Gotta love FDNY

Form a united front with his peers, so that he can better understand the seriousness of the situation. When confronted most will admit to the error, and at least consider changing their ways.

Think of it as an "intervention".

mediccjh is right though. We definitely do not need this type of representation in public.

I have ONLY ONE Winter Jacket, and its got my Volunteer Ambulance Patch on it, and i went into buy alcohol for Poker Night, well It was -40 C I think thats -40 F as well, ANd i removed my Jacket and walked the 100 Feet to the Store in TShirt and pants to the Liquer STore to get my stuff.

Personally, I would be to Embarassed to Wear anything relating to Unifrom in a place like that or a Bar or Anything while Off Duty. That should be Common Sense that you show a little respect for YOurself, Others, and The uniform you wear to Not wear it in such places off duty.

As for Abuse of the EMS Discount, PErsonally i cant say i ever Witnessed anyone 'Abusing' The Privilege, and When i do get a Discount Im Honored.

The most I have ever done was when i go out to Tim Hortons to get a Coffee on a road trip, i would Choose one Tim Hortons over another because one gives a discount and the other does not. Or One gives EMS a Free Coffee and One Doesnt.

Thats not Abuse is it ? ?

Never Once have i ever said "Hey, Dont EMT's Get Discounts" When I never got a discount.

Actually last time I got the discount and said "Sweet, I got a Discount" and the Time Hortons Lady is like "Yeah, we honor our Heroes To"

That made me Smile Real Big for a few hours.