Discrimination Against Gays

flamingemt2011

Great post...however I had to go research boxcar children to find out exactly who I was. :)

I never read the series, never heard of it.

I had read all 150 books in the series as a child. No cable, no internet.. and I was a child of the 80's. The first book will always be my favorite. Even have their Cookbook still.

White stuff on the screen, Bushy. Not the awesomeness I want to be oozing with, use a tissue. :whistle:

Edited by Doctor_Phil

White stuff on the screen, Bushy. Not the awesomeness I want to be oozing with, use a tissue. :whistle:

According to usa today on page 9a. Only 1.8% of americans say they are gay.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

According to usa today on page 9a. Only 1.8% of americans say they are gay.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Isn't 1.8% of the US population about 6 MILLION people??? Pretty significant, no?

Other than a random statistic Ruff, what was the point as I may have missed what you were referring to?

Isn't 1.8% of the US population about 6 MILLION people??? Pretty significant, no?

Other than a random statistic Ruff, what was the point as I may have missed what you were referring to?

yep it was a random statistic but I think it goes to show that we aren't talking about a small population of the US, many of which are discriminated against on a daily basis.

I think that we all discriminate in one way or another.

Good point ruff, and I am fine with you choosing who you hang out with, I think that is bias or personal preference, not discrimination. What I am argueing against his discrimination by employers. I would not label you a homophobe because you refuse to go to gay bars or hang out with gay people, but when you treat them less than professionally in the workplace just because they are gay, that is a problem.

Good point ruff, and I am fine with you choosing who you hang out with, I think that is bias or personal preference, not discrimination. What I am argueing against his discrimination by employers. I would not label you a homophobe because you refuse to go to gay bars or hang out with gay people, but when you treat them less than professionally in the workplace just because they are gay, that is a problem.

When did I say that I refused to go to gay bars or hang out with gay people. Did I say that? I'm not sure if that was your insinuation but as a matter of fact, I have multiple gay/lesbian friends. I actually have helped one of my lesbian friends get a job at my company.

I also am going to dinner tonight at a restaurant with a colleague and the place we are going is I believe a bar frequented by many gay/lesbian people.

I get the feeling that your statements above were rhetorical rather than directed specifically at me.

Can someone remind me about when the heterosexual pride day and parade was again ?

I personally have had enough of this "special rights advocates" for ALL these organized militant groups demanding fair treatment and that have been so "persecuted", they will receive 1.8 % of my concern.

Using ones sexual preference to define ones own persona is just a tad pathological .. IMHO.

Get over yourself PLEASE and the flamingEMT call sign is quite indicative.

Quote Dust: As for the queer men I've worked with in the last decade, I never really saw anyone having a problem with them. They were not "in the closet", but neither were they carefully hiding their status. I really think that is the key. No matter what your orientation is, if you make that the defining characteristic in your life, you'd better expect people to be offended.
Edited by tniuqs
  • Like 1

Hardly a random stat, Ak.

Define significant.

I'm sure there are plenty of groups that make up 1.8% of the population, yet there are no laws, regulations, or protections specifically directed at them or protect them, are there?

The point as I see it is that we are talking about a group that we are being led to believe is far more prevalent in our society than they really are.

Do you really think that making an overarching, far reaching policy for such a small group is a sound idea?