Discrimination Against Gays

flamingemt2011

As mentioned in the other section, I am writing a column for JEMS about discrimination against gays (preferrably men) in our industry. I would really appreciate some of the older gay men in this forum who can contrast the old days versus today to show how much or how little we have progressed. Any private messages will be kept confidential. Thanks in advance.

As mentioned in the other section, I am writing a column for JEMS about discrimination against gays (preferrably men) in our industry. I would really appreciate some of the older gay men in this forum who can contrast the old days versus today to show how much or how little we have progressed. Any private messages will be kept confidential. Thanks in advance.

The problem is that you get no good information when you ask only gay men how much or how little you have progressed as you've made no effort to speak to the suspected discriminators, nor make any effort to weed out the whiners and malcontents. And it would be prudent to separate EMS and Fire as if you're going to hang with those that are often immature and regressive you will recieve the treatement expected there. To paint the entire field with the Fire brush is simply ignorant, right?

So is it then your intention to just be a Chicken Little type reporter, or were you actually trying to write a valid article?

Dwayne

I think you are going at this the wrong way. Are you only interested in someone's opinions if they are gay? Not a very valid sample to make a reasoned and balanced article if you are only looking at one point of view. Present some pertinent questions and I'm sure folks would be more than happy to respond.

Cant speak for the poster, but I think that lesbians have pretty much been accepted in Fire and EMS, whereas gay men are still ostrisized.

I dunno if I can really concur with that. In the 70s and 80s, the lesbians were quite obvious. Stereotypically butch with bad attitudes, especially towards men. Nobody but other dykes wanted to work with them. On the other hand, the queer men (so as not to offend 2c4) were almost all in the closet. Generally, if you found out they were queer, it was either by accident or rumour long after they were gone. So really, I can't tell you how the men were accepted in the old days. There were only a couple that I ever knew about at the time, and they were okay guys that were well liked. Several were later revealed to be queer after leaving, but all were guys who were well liked while employed there.

In the late 70s, I had a partner that was awesome. Our station was always being visited by hott chicks coming to see him, which was nice for his partner. He and I both left the service to become cops. He was a cop for over ten years, and a good one. Then, years later, I saw him on the front frigging page of the Dallas Morning News. They did a big story on him, talking about how hard it had been to stay in the closet as a gay cop. That was big news to all of us who had ever worked with him! But, in retrospect, none of us ever remembered seeing him actually date or bang any of those hott chicks, so we felt pretty stupid for not figuring it out.

Then there was the fire battalion chief I worked with in the early 80s. Decent chief. Knew his stuff. But he had a personality that sucked. Always acted like he was the smartest person in the room, but obviously was not. The kind of guy who sucks you in with his smile at the beginning, but quickly shows himself to be an arsehole and backstabber. Hadn't seen him in several years until bar closing time one night. Partner and I made the scene of a shooting in a gay bar parking lot. One guy down and circling the drain. I hopped out to make a rapid assessment while my partner went for a backboard and MAST pants. A few seconds into it, the flamer in the pink shirt and tight jeans, who was hovering over the victim and answering all my questions, addresses me by my first name. I turned to take a good look at him, and sure enough, it was the fire chief. Despite being an a-hole, he covered his private life well and did well professionally.

I wouldn't really say that lesbians are better accepted. I think they're still pretty well despised. It's just that we have come to realise that they are the majority of females in EMS, and you can't fight those kinds of numbers. Besides, they tend to only want to work with other dykes, so it doesn't affect the rest of us much.

As for the queer men I've worked with in the last decade, I never really saw anyone having a problem with them. They were not "in the closet", but neither were they carefully hiding their status. I really think that is the key. No matter what your orientation is, if you make that the defining characteristic in your life, you'd better expect people to be offended.

Edited by Dustdevil

As for the queer men I've worked with in the last decade, I never really saw anyone having a problem with them. They were not "in the closet", but neither were they carefully hiding their status. I really think that is the key. No matter what your orientation is, if you make that the defining characteristic in your life, you'd better expect people to be offended.

I really don't care 'what' my partner is as long as they can do their job well, and I can believe that when the fecal matter hits the oscilating temperature control device; they've got my back.

What I fail to realize is this....why the G/B/L/T crowd feels the need to shove their sexuality and sexual preferences in the faces of EVERYBODY....

When's the last time you saw a 'Hetero Pride' celebration/parade/festival?

I can understand being proud of WHO you are, WHO you've become/developed into....but like Dust says, why make your sexuality/sexual preference be your defining element? Are you not MORE than just that, or is that your only 'redeeming quality'?

We, (the general public), get it....there are those who love members of the same sex, can we just chill with the 'in your face' statements about it?

What I fail to realize is this....why the G/B/L/T crowd feels the need to shove their sexuality and sexual preferences in the feces of EVERYBODY....

Edited for comedic effect.

I have yet to be discriminated against. I cannot stand people who wave their sexuality in peoples faces. I don't give a shit what you are. In fact, I'd probably dismiss your presence, if you were a 'flaming homosexual'. I can say that. I have pride, but I don't wear a goddamn rainbow outfit. In fact, unless we're in a bar, drinking heavily.. There is very little chance that I'd hit on another male. I'm more likely to go after a female, because honestly, they're less dramatic.