Heroin / fentanyl...

Usable information is something you can present to back up what it is you're saying. You can say anything you want until you're blue in the face. Until you provide a link to more definitive proof your comments are nothing but hot air.

If you're going to post an answer to a question, you must be prepared to back it up with proof and evidence. Otherwise, people will continue to ignore you or dismiss anything you have to say as nothing more than noise to hear yourself type.

Please keep this in mind.

-be safe.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Understandable. However I only comment on what I have seen with my own two eyes. Nothing I have heard about or someone told me they saw. What I experience. Mostly for the fact that if I speak on something I haven't seen I will forever be jinxed and proceed to have to go on at least twenty of those calls in the next week.

So that's what I base my opinions on:

This is EMS unfortunately half of what I see out there can not be explained in any study.

EDITED

That's what the big issue with Glucagon was. I have seen how beneficial it is. Never once witnessed any negative side effects. Everyone disagreed. That is your right, but do not try tell me how I shouldn't be giving it. If you can not give evidence in your experience to discourage it. Don't dig through multiple studies trying to find one that disputes the fact that it is beneficial. I am sure I could find a study to discourage most of what we do. That's just the world we live in. It is not an exact science, there will always be different opinions on what is right or wrong.

We haven't seen it out here yet, it will probably take some time and an episode of ER before junkies here about it on the left coast. I agree with what others have said meth is a much bigger problem out here than heroin.

I do have a question for ya PRPG. Has anyones protocols changed to allow for Narcan drips in relation to these OD's? Or are Narcan drips part of your protocols already?

I hope that's not considered a hijack, I'm just curious.

Peace,

Marty

:joker:

No...such drips arent on the state list.

But...

This wasnt out there when the state list was last reviewed...

thus...

maybe thats an idea.

but...

In the mostly urban areas it seems to be prevalent, 2 minute or three minute transport times negate getting that far.

Franklin Co, MO= meth.....number one drug of choice here. we have been seeing the Fentanyl patches getting tucked between cheek and gum for the past couple of years as a "hold me over" which has been problematic, and heroin has been on the up rise for about the same amount of time. we have been having an increase of the Fentanyl/heroin mix within the past few months. a neighboring district (keep in mind we are a rural area) handled 3 of these overdoses 2 weeks ago, 1 resulting in death and the another is still unresponsive after being transferred to a "city" hospital in St. Louis co.

as far as any change in protocols, we have not. We have however increased the amount of Narcan carried in our trucks (shhhhh....don't tell the white shirts, we didn't ask first).

This issue is one talked about outside the ER amongst the medics, during our "after call smokes". As far as any change....we just lost our Medical Director on Monday from a P.E. Good discussion and hope it continues.....I'll update with any changes we see in my neck of the woods!!!!

R.I.P DR. Dumontier.....you will be missed!

madmedic

About 6 weeks ago we had 2 males come in for the same exact thing about 15 min apart. The one's mother brought him in, not responding, got him in, went to intubate and all these fun little patches stuck to the laryngoscope! Not certain if those were mixed with any heroin. He lived that episode and another shift got called to his residence no more than 3 days later, dead on the sofa, with...you guessed it, patches in his mouth.

Second fella I don't remember exactly, pretty sure he was talking and what not, but had patches in his mouth. He lived.

We flew a guy out, young man, about 16-18. Meth OD, he got a Narcan drip, which depleted our entire hospital Narcan supply....not sure if he died or not.

Not doubting the possibility of narcotics, but why use Narcan for a meth overdose?

I will ask Dr. and get back to you. Other crew got called out for possible OD (MDC630 was on this run..hopefully he's reading and can fill in the details), pt doesn't look so well, having chest pain. Girlfriend stated they'd been doing meth.

Blah I'll have MDC post about it.

I was in our state prision here in SD for a dual OD as backup for our rural medic unit. The one who actually came out w/ narcan wouldn't confess what he and his buddy took. The Dr suspected the new mix you guys are talking about. One of the nickmames was "drop dead".

The second guy was intubated and flown via mercy air. He wouldn't respond to narcan.

-joe