Kids Along For The Call

Wendy, there isn't any difference. Neither of the groups you describe belong on a ambulance. I'm not sure about other States, but NC won't certify anyone until they reach the age of 18. With this theory, no one under the age of 17 would be on a ambulance until they are doing clinical ride time, or are certified and boarded, which wouldn't happen until they are 18.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ruffems, I started this thread as a separate issue from a minor aged child who otherwise would have been left at the patient's pickup point unattended. This is supposed to be on our agency members who either respond with their children to calls in their POVs, bring them to the base station to be attended to while the member goes out on a response, or actually have the minor aged child as a "ride along" on the equipment during responses.

I would ask that this not be hijacked into a vollies versus paid department discussion, as we have...ye gads, how many strings on this do we have? I acknowledge this is probably more prevalent in the volunteer sector. I state my opinion here, that there are areas so distant that a private service would have to establish a station in the area, and import help, or stay vollie, as they are already in the territory, but don't do EMS fulltime, just when, and as, needed.

Now, back to the topic. As of this point, everyone seems to have a lot of good points, even as these good points might be exact opposite to the next posting, also with good points. Let's keep up this discussion, folks.

Just to make a correction that has been made many times it is not HIPPA it is HIPAA. Before we discuss HIPAA violations maybe we should all relearn what it means? Heath Insurance Portability Accountabily Act.

Just thought I'd throw that out there since I have been corrected on it myself.

Yea, I know what it means... Thank you. :oops: Besides my inability to type, I can't spell worth a damn, I'm a little overweight and my feet smell! Now that we've cleared all that up, I think the point I was trying to make is that there are potential HIPAA issues here if you were to bring a kid in the ambulance with you, or anywhere that the child could overhear or see a patients personal health related issues. We all know that kids can't keep a secret and will just blurt out the most embarrasing things at the most inoportune time. If you thought it was akward when little johny told the church lady about Mommy and Daddy "wrestling", imagine what your going to feel like when little johny tells the class at school during show-n-tell, about how you saved little Timmy's mommy from a drug overdose last night. #-o

You know, I just made a joke about this before because I thought the idea of it was patently absurd, but of course, oh no, never can I just say "That's silly," and be done with it. There are people, right now, reading this and not seeing "what the big deal is"

So, here we go. WHAT THE HELL IS THE MATTER WITH YOU PEOPLE? ARE YOU &%#ING STUPID? JESUS H. CRIMENY WHAT IS GOING ON IN YOUR HEAD? NO! DON'T ENDANGER YOUR KIDS BY DOING THE JOLLY VOLLEY THING WITH THEM IN THE CAR! ARE YOU DENSE?

<huff> <huff> <huff> Okay. Look, there is a great big difference between taking a patients children along with you to the hospital from a scene AND YOUR OWN &%#ING CHILDREN WITH YOU TO THE CALL! GOD! Sorry... I'm sorry. I'm not sure the exact legalities of it from state to state, but basically, you'll have a lot easier time explaining why the unsupervised children of the patient were in the ambulance with you then YOUR KID in the front seat. Big difference. Huge difference. Huge enough that I think it would be plainly obvious to anyone even considering it, but apparently &%#ing not.

You know, contrary to popular belief and what it says on your t-shirts, fires will be put out, and people will be treated and transported whether you respond or not. The world will go on, so take care of your kids first. Either that or give them up for adoption if your goddamn career/hobby calls to you that much. They'll be better off.

You know, I just made a joke about this before because I thought the idea of it was patently absurd, but of course, oh no, never can I just say "That's silly," and be done with it. There are people, right now, reading this and not seeing "what the big deal is"

So, here we go. WHAT THE HELL IS THE MATTER WITH YOU PEOPLE? ARE YOU &%#ING STUPID? JESUS H. CRIMENY WHAT IS GOING ON IN YOUR HEAD? NO! DON'T ENDANGER YOUR KIDS BY DOING THE JOLLY VOLLEY THING WITH THEM IN THE CAR! ARE YOU DENSE?

<huff> <huff> <huff> Okay. Look, there is a great big difference between taking a patients children along with you to the hospital from a scene AND YOUR OWN &%#ING CHILDREN WITH YOU TO THE CALL! GOD! Sorry... I'm sorry. I'm not sure the exact legalities of it from state to state, but basically, you'll have a lot easier time explaining why the unsupervised children of the patient were in the ambulance with you then YOUR KID in the front seat. Big difference. Huge difference. Huge enough that I think it would be plainly obvious to anyone even considering it, but apparently &%#ing not.

You know, contrary to popular belief and what it says on your t-shirts, fires will be put out, and people will be treated and transported whether you respond or not. The world will go on, so take care of your kids first. Either that or give them up for adoption if your goddamn career/hobby calls to you that much. They'll be better off.

Yeah, what he said.

We can lock this topic now. :roll:

Well I'm 17 and I have gone on calls before with medics for school I did a ride along last year where my dad works I wasn't with him at the time but I was with two medics he knew and he had to sign papers saying that the county he works for wouldn't be held responsible if I got hurt while I was with them. It was a great learning expreanice I'm hoping to do a Intership with that same service next semester. I know that the minute you step foot on the scene your health is at risk so I think that when a child does a ride along for educational purpose its okay. I have also been on a call with my dad when I was three and my parents where dating at the time he was a volunteer FF/firstresponder and while we where Cleaning the trucks up the tones went out so I went with them and sat in the truck but it wasn't like my dad brought me to work with him because he didn't we where at the playground which happened to be where the trucks where getting wash and I wanted to go see them and when the tones went out my dads caption said its a really bad house fire we could use your help can you come with us my dad looks at me and says you want to go I was like uh okay and went and it didn't have any negative effects on me and I was only three at the time. As for bring your child to work No your kids miss you enough and spending time with you needs to be done outside of work. Taking a pt's child to the ER with them when the only alternative is to leave a young child at home alone is perfectly okay because that way you can insure the child will be safe at least once you get to the hospital and you also know you wont be getting called back out to the scene because the child has burnt themselves or something of that nature. Just my thoughts.

Well, as for no one under 18 being on rigs, I cannot say anything on that, I started riding rigs when I was 15. I've been an EMT since I was 16. So I cannot say much on that topic. However bringing your kids on a call is bad, thats a bad situation. But I thought this was the what to do with the patients kids?