Kids Along For The Call

I've heard of some VFDs that give a few members wives, mothers, etc a pager, and they respond to the firehouse and watch anybody's kids that need an emergency sitter while they go on the call. I think in one case it was the chief's wife (who was a grandmother).

That's actually a good idea if you have someone who can.

As far as the rest of the post is concerned, Yes I remember this happening in the early 90's when I started in emergency services. I don't think it should happen any more due to the obviously stated reasons above.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with spenac about the health issues if nothing else. When I come home from work on a weekend morning, I usually don't even let my kids hug me until I shower and change because getting them sick and climbing in and out of the ambulance on the side of the interstate are about the only two things that regularly scare me about the job.

That's actually a good idea if you have someone who can.

You're kidding, right?

It's a horrible and absolutely pointless idea that only makes things worse. By doing this, you are officially sanctioning people making an emergency response with their children in the vehicle! I find it absoutely bizarre that everybody here is talking about the dangers of the scene, while completely ignoring the dangers of the response.

No children. No wives or husbands. No girlfriends or boyfriends. Nobody that is not also a sworn member of the agency. Not to the scene. Not to the station. Not to the babysitter. Nobody, nowhere. Period.

Just to make a correction that has been made many times it is not HIPPA it is HIPAA. Before we discuss HIPAA violations maybe we should all relearn what it means? Heath Insurance Portability Accountabily Act.

Just thought I'd throw that out there since I have been corrected on it myself.

=D> (sniff sniff) chokes back tears....I am soo proud of you!

Stay true to the cause!! Higher education standards for all!

You're kidding, right?

It's a horrible and absolutely pointless idea that only makes things worse. By doing this, you are officially sanctioning people making an emergency response with their children in the vehicle! I find it absoutely bizarre that everybody here is talking about the dangers of the scene, while completely ignoring the dangers of the response.

No children. No wives or husbands. No girlfriends or boyfriends. Nobody that is not also a sworn member of the agency. Not to the scene. Not to the station. Not to the babysitter. Nobody, nowhere. Period.

:roll:

First off I apologize for the hijacking of the other thread by changing the subject, and I also thank Richard for starting this one. One of my questions is what is the best way to make sure that this practice stops? It has been done on the volly/paid squad I work for for years now. The three year old doesn't come to work with mom, it's after work hours when we are all volunteer that this happens. All I know is that I can't imagine putting my 8 or 10 year old in the rig ( even if it is in the front seat) while it is going priority one ( L+S) to a hospital. It is bad enough that we have to go emergent anyway, but why have your child in the rig, when you are in the back working on a critical patient? It just amazes me that these people think that they are so indispensable that they need to do this. I don't know if trying to find something on the state website would work or not. Supposedly our insurance carrier said this was an okay practice. I would greatly appreciate all advice on how to stop this.

Thanks everyone,

NYAEMT-I

It just amazes me that these people think that they are so indispensable that they need to do this.

Beautifully said. :thumbright:

Ask your DA and/or City Attorney for a legal opinion on the potential legal ramifications of the practice. I've never met a DA who was afraid to prosecute a volly. Most of them jump at the opportunity. I'm betting s/he will make a pretty solid case for charges of Reckless or Negligent Child Endangerment (whatever NY calls it) if an accident were to occur. Quite possibly, s/he will be incensed enough by the practice that s/he will threaten legal action even if there is no accident, if they don't cease and desist. Either way, with a written legal opinion in hand and on file, the organisation will have no option but to discontinue it.

Of course, if word gets out that you are the one that pushed this, you will be sacked.

Not that some of you care but many of these places have few providers.
Irrelevant. Children do not belong on the Ambulance, in the station etc. It only takes 2 people to run an ambulance. Hopefully they have more providers than that. If you have the kids, stay home or find a sitter.