Kids Along For The Call

In a separate string, there was a discussion going on what to do with minor aged children left at the scene, by their caretakers getting sick or injured. However, another string, in my view, is needed, for a different topic that came up.

What are your views of bringing a minor aged child of a member of your department along with them, on a call?

The classic movie image is the children of fire fighters riding along with "Dad" to a call. Most of us remember the scene, when the fire officer's helmet gets blown through the window from a "Backdraft" explosion, and the look of anguish on his son's face, as shown on the front page of the newspapers, from the opening of the movie "Backdraft".

I have always been against bringing children along on calls, due to the dangers inherent to the job. Perhaps I am a bit prejudiced, as, at my old Volunteer Ambulance Corps, some members would bring along their children to, in essence, be baby-sat by the dispatcher. I never could get them (the children) to listen to me.

Someone mentioned a mother and child killed when Mom lost control of the fire tanker she was driving at emergency status. The thought someone had a 3 year old, in any emergency vehicle, NOT AS A PATIENT, unrestrained, is so depressing to me, I almost cannot put it into words.

I will allow the concept of having children in the hose bed of an engine/pumper company., as I have been told that they are almost buried under the hoses to hold them in.

So, my brother and sister EMT City residents, what say you to the concept of children of members of the department, accompanying the adult department member on calls?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Children should not be on emergency calls. If you are off duty with your family be with your family. It is bad enough that we might bring home a sickness, why expose them to the risks that we are paid to take.

I have to agree with spenac ( again? ) and Cookie. Bringing children on a call is friggin insane and totally whacker. If you are not on call, don't respond. If you are, it is your responsibility to have arrangements in place for the care of your children. As always, if it was 24/7 professional dept, than this shouldn't even be an issue. This has to only happen in the vollie sector. I can not, for the life of me, imagine a paid dept. allowing such foolishness.

Might be hard to prove hippa violation. IF the child is present with the patient then that might be provable but if the child is not in the room with the patient probably not.

:shock: Besides the obvious safety, lack of professionalism and company liability concerns... can you say HIPPA violation? Good God man!

Just to make a correction that has been made many times it is not HIPPA it is HIPAA. Before we discuss HIPAA violations maybe we should all relearn what it means? Heath Insurance Portability Accountabily Act.

Just thought I'd throw that out there since I have been corrected on it myself.

And before we go any further...can someone define "child"?

5y/o or 18y/o...perhaps it makes a difference?

My 18y/o nephew, to me, is still a child. But he's also a Marine. would I take him? sure...

See what I mean?

Dwayne

One of our volunteer firefighters brought along her little taker on a call direct alarm which 9/10 times are false alarms. We were short staffed and her hubby was away for a week so there was no were else to go. It was made very clear he had to sit in the cabin with our comms officer and not touch anything.

Normally if someone brings kids to a call our captain’s wife takes them back to her house (were their stuffed with cake!) or someone stays back at the station and keeps them entertained.

I've heard of some VFDs that give a few members wives, mothers, etc a pager, and they respond to the firehouse and watch anybody's kids that need an emergency sitter while they go on the call. I think in one case it was the chief's wife (who was a grandmother).