Kids Along For The Call

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ride-alongs, as indicated by the existence of paperwork authorizing someone like a junior member to do so, as signed and countersigned by the person, their parents, and the chief operating officers of the service, are somewhat of a different topic, and, like the paid/volunteer discussion, are already under discussion on different strings on this site. Let's keep them on the other strings, please?

You're kidding, right?

It's a horrible and absolutely pointless idea that only makes things worse. By doing this, you are officially sanctioning people making an emergency response with their children in the vehicle! I find it absoutely bizarre that everybody here is talking about the dangers of the scene, while completely ignoring the dangers of the response.

No children. No wives or husbands. No girlfriends or boyfriends. Nobody that is not also a sworn member of the agency. Not to the scene. Not to the station. Not to the babysitter. Nobody, nowhere. Period.

What the hell are you talking about? Who said anything about an emergency response?

Oh, that's right- all volunteers are the same, and they all have whackermobiles and drive a hundred miles an hour. I forgot.

Couldn't POSSIBLY be that you don't, in fact, know everything.

What the hell are you talking about? Who said anything about an emergency response?

Uhhh... if you haven't noticed, emergency responses are what this topic -- and this forum -- are about. :roll:

Oh, that's right- all volunteers are the same, and they all have whackermobiles and drive a hundred miles an hour. I forgot.

Doesn't matter. It is still an emergency response, no matter how they are driving. And yes, I would put good money on 99 percent of them driving differently than they would if it were not an emergency response. At the very least, we're looking at going a little faster, rolling through stop signs, and just generally driving less carefully. Regardless, it is still a "response." That term makes it official business, which means no riders. Not even mailmen are allowed to carry riders. It is ignorant to think a lower standard should apply to EMS.

Couldn't POSSIBLY be that you don't, in fact, know everything.

You are correct. It could not possibly be.

I can only talk from a Fire point of view, I have no experience with emergency paramedics but I strongly doubt in fact I could guarantee that kids could not ride on calls.

I strongly agree with kids not coming along on calls. I have no problems with them staying behind at the station as long as a responsible adult (preferably with a working with kids check) is present.

Most rural fire services in Australia are volunteer based. When your pager goes off then you respond, we have no roster which makes it difficult to find a babysitter in 30 seconds.

When responding to the station it’s frowned upon not to mention illegal to speed or break normal road laws. It’s also illegal to fit your vehicle with any form of warning devices i.e. beacons and sirens. They recommend driving the fire truck to normal road laws even when responding to an emergency. I mean you have thousands of liters of water and equipment not to mention 6 volunteers on board, how long will it take to stop if something happens? The only time we break normal road laws is if we have a possible entrapment or on the highway when no body else is driving near us.

Sorry, but I can't find any reason why anyone would need to bring their child to a call. I understand rural EMS, really. I grew up in a town of 128 people depending on traffic. Our zip code was only 3 numbers long. Depending on how good of a golfer you are, you could drive through town in two different ways.

Ok, enough.

Anyway, if there weren't enough volunteers to respond, mutual aid was called. Granted this was fire & first responders. We didn't transport, ever. So it's not like there was a risk of no response. Even if we were responsible for transport (shudder) there would have been shifts of coverage to ensure the people responsible to respond were prepared.

In a case of fire, mutual aid was called anyway unless it was a car fire or something minor.

As far as ride-alongs for minors. This seems like a bad idea. Very bad. There's no reason for it. If they want to learn about first aid, they can join the scouts. If your service is actually using children for ems or fire, close your doors and walk away. If I were at your fire for mutual aid and I find out you have a kid responsible for fire suppression, we're going to have a serious discussion about our mutual aid agreement as soon as the fires out.

• 2 weeks later...