Kids Along For The Call

And regarding children in the ambo, here is our policy. We are not to transport people under the age of 18. If there is not parent, relative or guardian I have to call me resource hospital or have a police officer ride with the pt.

If your PT is the adult and there are children there with no one to watch them (another adult) you must secure transport for them via more ambulances, police of a state agency like human services.

Always call a superior and put the decision on them.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to comment on possible delay of care, when the patient is a minor aged one.

If the child is unaccompanied, and not emancipated, it is considered to be "Implied Consent", and the patient can be cared for and transported.

FDNY policy is, do the care and transport, and request the NYPD meet you at the receiving ED. Then, the PD will have the responsibility of "Protective Custody" until the responsible family member(s) can be contacted, or child welfare agencies.

And then there are those systems that have neither on-duty supervisors, nor online medical control to call for directions. In those systems, you have to just man-up and make an intelligent decision. Obviously, though, a lot of medics simply weren't ever cut out for independent practice.