Is EMS definative care?

:banghead:

Ace your just not getting it. ETI is the definitive airway intervention, key word intervention. It is no different than an IV, defibrillation, or medication administration. An intervention is not the same as definitive care. Definitive care is returning the patient back to health by treating the underlying cause/result of the injury or disease. You are confusing "definitive airway" with definitive care, its not about fixing a problem, its about fixing the patient.

Nice google skills though.

Peace,

Marty

:joker:

Scar,"

We agree but your comprehension of my wording is skewed... Definitive care is provided by a combination of treating various patophysiological etiologies, treatments, and therepies which together form 'the CONCEPT OF DEFINITIVE CARE'...My statement was that an ETI was a 'Definitive airway'...Nice try though! IT is 'CLASSIFIED' as an 'INTERVENTION', by 'DEFINITION' it is a 'DEFINTIVE TREATMENT AND AIRWAY'.....

ACE844

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry ACE I thought the thread was "Is EMS definitive care?"

Oh wait it is, but whatever, airway is not definitive treatment. Yes it fixes a symptom of the overall issue, i.e. secures the airway in an arrest, but it does not convert the rhythm. OK, occasionally it actually does convert but that is rare.

I agree though we are probably arguing semantics here.

Peace,

Marty

I'm sorry ACE I thought the thread was "Is EMS definitive care?"

Oh wait it is, but whatever, airway is not definitive treatment. Yes it fixes a symptom of the overall issue, i.e. secures the airway in an arrest, but it does not convert the rhythm. OK, occasionally it actually does convert but that is rare.

I agree though we are probably arguing semantics here.

Peace,

Marty

Ok, How about this...We're saying the same thing different ways?!?!? Because from here the print just gets finer and the waters muddier......

050910-F-1934M-008.jpg

Out here,

ACE844

Ok, How about this...We're saying the same thing different ways?!?!? Because from here the print just gets finer and the waters muddier......

050910-F-1934M-008.jpg

Out here,

ACE844

Sound good to me Bro'.

Peace,

Marty

P.S. As a fellow Boondock Saints fan, have you ever seen the outtakes? The scene with their mom almost gave me an MI, I was laughing so hard I couldn't breath. "Don't look at me, I've had ice on it!"

Definitive medical care generally refers to care that will improve, rather than simply stabilize, a casualty’s condition, e.g., surgery or other care provided in a hospital. Requirements for definitive medical care will vary widely depending on the magnitude and epidemiology of the disaster.

this comes from Boston Public Health Commission http://www.bphc.org/director/bda_medresponse2.asp

http://www.swsahs.nsw.gov.au/livTrauma/edu...ection%206A.pdf this is another good resource describes definitive care as the "second hour"

while i will agree with what was said earlier. EMS as ALS providers do in some cases deliver definitive care, however in my opinion, We are only deliver definitive treatments in the field. Yes we can do most of what the ER's can in our ambulances , but lets not get arrogant. our supplies we carry are very limited as are our skills and most of the time Protocols. Not to mention we do not have lab and Xray in the field, nor do we have a surgical suite or a surgeon in the back either.

Based on our unavoidable and imposed limits on EMS resources in the field, i would have to say that no EMS is not definitive care. We deliver definitive treatments as Ace has pointed out so many times but that is not definitive care. It is going to take more education and professional recognition before we could be considered definitive care, If we ever make it to that point.

Until then the PDP Asys has introduced us to will have to be satisfied with waking hypoglycemic PT's with D50.....

Be Safe

Race

Defibrillation for VF/VT

D50 for hypoglycemia

Epi for anaphlyaxis

These are the only situations that I would be willing to describe our treatment as definitive.

unless you have advanced practice staff like Uk emergency Care Practitoners who can diagnose and treat a range of minor injuries and illnesses as well as do ALS ambulance stuff...

unless you have advanced practice staff like Uk emergency Care Practitoners who can diagnose and treat a range of minor injuries and illnesses as well as do ALS ambulance stuff...

Zippy. Shhh. Not everywhere is a whimsical land of lollypops and dancing popcorn. Lets stay on topic. Thanks.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.