Is EMS definative care?

Someone made an interesting statement on a thread today.

Can EMS be defined as definative care?

People are advocating heavily on field pronouncements of arrests, where EMS is described as being able to do just as much as an ED.

In reality, EMS can do much of what an ED can do. I know this question is a bit intangible, but im curious. Can EMS be defined as definative care?

XoXo

PRPG

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PRPGfirerescuetech, I guess it depends on the situation and how definitive care is defined for the situation. I do not think you could even consider the er definitive care for many conditions.

Take care,

chbare.

PRPGfirerescuetech, I guess it depends on the situation and how definitive care is defined for the situation. I do not think you could even consider the er definitive care for many conditions.

Take care,

chbare.

Interesting thought.

Then, consequently, i pose the question, what is "definative care"?

PRPGfirerescuetech, I would define definitive care as medical care that will help cure or improve your patients condition rather than stabilization or buying time.

Take care,

chbare.

PRPGfirerescuetech, I would define definitive care as medical care that will help cure or improve your patients condition rather than stabilization or buying time.

Take care,

chbare.

"PRPG, Chbare,"

I think this is more a 'principle' than a strict definition. Although it seems over time that this 'principle' both in practice and teaching has evolved into a solid 'definition' for which one gets a whole variety of answers and doesn't necessarily have a 'strictly universal definition'.

Also I would agree with the 'principle' of your statement 'chbare,' yet would ask you to respectfully consider the fact that there is a 'principle' which is generally accepted that both the ER, and EMS provide forms of care which are both 'definative', 'lifesaving', and often at times the same treatments!!

Food for thought,

ACE844

Ace844, I agree. I would never want to strictly define definitive care, this is a broad and simple way of understanding definitive care. I also agree that many er and ems treatments are the same. I do not want to simply say ems and er are not definitive care, because in situations they are, but rather say definitive care should be in context to the situation.

Take care,

chbare.

Ace844, I agree. I would never want to strictly define definitive care, this is a broad and simple way of understanding definitive care. I also agree that many er and ems treatments are the same. I do not want to simply say ems and er are not definitive care, because in situations they are, but rather say definitive care should be in context to the situation.

Take care,

chbare.

"chbare,"

I agree completely. If there is anyone viewing this that disagrees with us, could you please post a 'UNIVERSALLY PRACTICED AND ACCEPTED DEFINITION OF 'DEFINATIVE CARE''. I think you'll be hard pressed to find it for exactly the reasons mentioned above!

out here,

ACE844

I agree it depends on the situation as well as the injury and illness. Would a clinic be called definitive care or is it the person (physician) the definitive care? I interpret it as well as to have the ability to "rule out" or eliminate process, and either transfer to a more definitive care or have the ability to solve to treat the problem.

R/r 911

Defibrillation for VF/VT

D50 for hypoglycemia

Epi for anaphlyaxis

These are the only situations that I would be willing to describe our treatment as definitive.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.