emt-b pay scale

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Don't know if you'll be interested in hearing this but over here in the UK our EMT's earn $22.93 per hour and our Paramedics earn $28.90 per hour. (I've done the currency conversion as of 09-05-2006.

Staff in London earn more because of the cost of living. Hope this helps you get paid more.

Dan

Thanks Dan. I'll be moving to " Jolly old England " asap. :wink:

It just goes to prove what most have stated here. Education is paramount to progressing EMS to where it should be and the pay which it deserves.

80 k at 81 days is roughtly 1k per day.

At a 24 hour shift, thats roughly 40 per hour.

You serious? How many years you been there?

Ya, I find that difficult to believe that is base hourly pay. That must include a fair amount of OT shifts during the year...

Who does 911 in Chicago? Chicago FD or do they have a separate municipal Chicago EMS or whatever. Because I don't see how in a large city you can work 24 hour shifts in EMS unless you have a massive municipal service (and I mean massive we have 100+ ambulances on the road during weekdays) or private services do 911 too.

Toronto has a population of roughly 3/4 of a million people more than Chicago and we would NEVER be able to do 24 hour shifts with EMS (unless there could be guaranteed downtime, which there cannot). We are the only ones that can respond to 911 calls in the city, if other services are able to respond I could see how 24 hours could work, but beyond that no (again, I'm very ignorant of US EMS systems). There are some 24 hour fire stations here, but there are also double (like 80ish) the amount of fire stations than EMS. Fire would have a far easier time to "cover off" a 24 hour station that has been out all day or whatever. Fire does not does not functional medically here beyond a first responder type roll more basic than an EMT-B skill set (they don't do vitals) and they are normally only sent to high priority (Delta and Echo) type calls.

With current conversion at my current rate of pay I make 28.21 US an hour.

Holla!

ok , I got 20 yrs!Starting pay stinks(46k) but after 5 yrs they are at68k.New guys work 87 days per year,after 5yrs 84 days ,after 15 yrs 81 days ,after 25 yrs 80 days per year!We are fire based and union, I stress union because if we were non union they wouldn't give us crap.Fireman work 24 /48 and we work the 24/72, due to a law suit in 1995, they had to pay us or change our hours!We work out of firehouses and we have preference to cross over to the fire side, every class of fireman must have 10% paramedics.Thats to maintain there ALS engines(I think we have 25 ALS engines).

that's what sucks about chicago for basics :-) I can't wait to start paramedic school. I am from here but I took the basic course in galveston island, texas, and they run municpal stations or whatever you call it. They are so short EMTs they went to the local community college and told us as soon as we pass NR come to Galveston EMS and we can work 911. (they usually partner you with a Paramedic)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.