emt-b pay scale

Your post is in effect, accurate. the only part you missed was the 120 hrs of skills.

I didn't miss it, I skipped it. It's been discussed to death.

If you'd like to address it, however... 120 hours is minimal, as I'm sure you're finding as you go through paramedic school. You'll probably do more than that in ride time and clinical time. I'd hope, anyways.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll probably do more than that in ride time and clinical time. I'd hope, anyways.
Count on it. I was referring to skills, not education as I have found out.

I agree, it has been flogged long enough. Banish me to the bar. :occasion5:

You have to evaluate an education based upon content, quality, and contact hours. How many weeks or months or years it takes to complete the course is irrelevant. I can make an EMT class last anywhere from two weeks to two years by reducing the number of hours per class and per week accordingly. It's meaningless. You're still only getting 110 to 250 hours of instruction, maximum. Do you really think they can teach you anything impressive in that short time? The guy who cuts your hair has about twenty-times that education before he can take his test. Think about it.

Before you spend a dime on an EMT course, you had better do some very serious and focused job market research in the area you intend to work. That doesn't mean looking in the want ads. That means getting on the phone and calling every service listed in the phone book. It means putting on some slacks, a shirt and tie (or dress, as the case may be), and going to visit them and asking them what your job prospects are as a brand new graduate EMT. Ask THEM if you can even get a job. Ask THEM what they pay. Ask their employees what they make and what their working conditions are like. What you are likely to find out is that the only job you are going to find in urban Mass is not an EMS job, but an ambulance driver job for a private, non-emergency transfer company, hauling grandma from the nursing home to her doctor's office and back all day long. And for damn little money. If you are happy with $8 to $12 dollars an hour in urban Mass, then I hope you are comfortable living with your parents for the foreseeable future. Sure, a paramedic makes a couple dollars an hour more, but those jobs are just as hard to come by. You won't find a real EMS job in the Boston area until you have several years of experience.

Things are not as they seem. PLEASE do the research and the math before you commit to this nonsense. Don't leap before you look.

DustDevil Thank you for the instruction i will take it, DAMN man you are really clear :shock: :shock: . maybe is not as easy as i thought at the beginning........ so i will reach for other areas. without forget this one of course. because i think that i can do it the only thing that i have to do is go for the goal i mean make the best of me and if there are out there a few opotunities there is almost the same everywhere nowaday but i'm not a dumb and for that reason i have to call how you told me on the top of this page to the diferent employers and "see the job market" right ? {my grandmother said that we have to hear the instructions :wink: of the others that wise}

a have a question .......... what about the communication skill in this carreer is an essue? there are many places here in massachuttsets alson the Northern Essex Community college have the Emt-1 program

Emergency Medical Technician

7 Credit Hours, 4 Lecture Hours, 6 Lab Hours

Electives: Cori/Sori Check Required, Open/Free

Prerequisites/

Proficiencies: Basic Reading proficiency and Basic Writing proficiency

Course Description Meets DOT 1994 and MDPH/OEMS 1998 curriculum requirements. Successful course completion qualifies the individual for the Massachusetts Emergency Medical Technician (Basic) Certification Examination. Areas covered include: airway management and oxygen therapy; wound care and fracture management; injuries to the head, neck, and spine; shock; pharmacology and aerosolized medications; cardiac arrest management (including use of defibrillators); medical emergencies; emergency childbirth; auto extrication. State Exam and Certification fees are not included in tuition. PLEASE NOTE: CORI (Criminal Offender Record Information) and/or SORI (Sex Offender Record Information) checks are required prior to participation in this course.

and other one in 14 days. just starter at the Unitek college

An Emergency Medical Technician - Basic (EMT-B) renders pre-hospital basic life support at the scene of an emergency, during transport of the sick and injured, or during inter-facility transfer within an organized EMS system. Unitek offers the finest accelerated EMT training available. Get certified in less time and gain real hands-on experience. Learn, not cram, from the best EMT instructors! Two weeks of intense training for a low, all inclusive price, and an iron-clad test passing guarantee

Excellent posts... many do not like reading or discussing it... it is called professionalism. One thing that is very lacking in EMS. Shame we cannot mandate it in classes, yet again so many instructors do not understand it as well.

Professionalism is like providing good care and fine wine. It is developed initially with proper education and grows each day with experience. Sometimes, the wine becomes vinegar and is discarded, like many of the medics, unfortunately once in a while there are some vintage medics that still have that "gall" flavor.

Behavior on and off duty, dedication to their profession (not lusting over L & S or Star of Life's), as well as educating oneself to be better each time should be a standard for each medic. This is not installed or emphasized enough in schools.

R/r 911

I agree however; it should start before being employed. Some of the problem lies that employers are usually "seasoned medics" which does not give an additional thought of professionalism. Hopefully, some of them have attained upper education and has as well been exposed to professional demeanor.

If we instituted it in the beginning, we would have at least a foundation to begin with.

R/ r911

• 2 weeks later...

Here in Texas I startred out of school EMT-B making 10.00 per hr and i work for a transport service but we do 911 too. I'm in medic school and things are really different but i love it

• 2 weeks later...
Anyhow, you have to take more into account than simple base rate. While they may be making three dollars an hour more than you in NYC, they are also paying a LOT more just to live there, so they're probably no better off than you. Same thing pretty much anywhere in California.

I work in Orange County, CA, one of the richest counties in the nation, and make 7.65 an hour, with time-and-a-half after 40 hours and an average 72 hour work week. It's probably one of the worst paid counties in the nation when adjusted for cost of living.

Not to beat a dead horse but the last 3 jobs I've held paid nearly 40-60K a year depending on overtime and on call pay.

I'm a full time consultant now so I make significantly more but if I were to want to return to EMS then I'd drop back to the last service I worked for.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.