emt-b pay scale

EMT school takes only slightly longer than training a new employee at Taco Bell.

And, unlike Taco Bell workers, there is no shortage of EMT's. In fact, there is a tremendous glut.

Why should they make any more?

Down south, there is a shortage of basics at present... but they don't pay any more than what the first post had--about 6.50/hr

You can make 7.00/hr at BK or working for the clown.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Ohio, and have been in EMS for approximately 8 years. My first job as an EMT-B was $6.50 per hour, and at that time I had 2 children, one four year old, and a newborn. When I first too the job I was told to pack clothes for 2 weeks, and buddy they weren't lying! My first paycheck was over $1000 take home (including OT). I however do not work there anymore, because they don't pay what they should. At the time yes I was making money, but at the cost of not seeing my family. Through out the years I worked for a "Nationally Known" company and made a little bit more an hour but the drive was killing me with gas costs. So I took a position closer to home, didn't make as much but much easier on the gas bill for my car. Now I work at a company where I am making $10/hour as a Medic........ most money I have ever made per hour. Only reason I am still there now and haven't moved on is because I have some decent insurance, which is something that I have never had before in my life was health care. So in Ohio, and I'm not sure how close you are to Ohio but it may be a consideration. I do have to agree though, it is a shame that our EMS People do not make more on the hour for what they have to do and put up with. But even though I struggle, I still manage to make it! My kids don't wear Abercrombie & Fitch clothes, but then again I don't wear Calvin Clines (which were the jeans when I was growin up). My kids have a home, clothes on their backs, food in their bellies, are active in sports and other things. So trust me if I can do it, so can you![/font:8e7b243fc8]

I'm in Ohio, too. I live and work in SW Ohio. I make a good wage for what I do. I would be hard pressed to make what I make at the local full-time fire departments. I don't have insurance, because my wife has it at work. She's an RN and makes good money. Like medstudent30 said, my kids (all 3 of them) have a nice home, clothes on their back and they don't go hungry. We're able to do special things (ie. weekend vacations, nice dinners out, movies and the like). My kids have a nice selection of Old Navy clothes and a few Target items.

Thank GOD that I live in West Palm Beach, FL. I am taking the EMT Finals on May1, 3, 5 and from there I am going to the fire academy. Fire-Fighter EMT-B's working for the county here start Off making $40,000 - $45,000 per year. Fire-Fighter EMT-P's make $48,000 - $55,000 per year. Working for the City is roughly about $5,000 - $10,000 less. I don't see how some of you are making it on your salaries. While the EMT-B's make about the same as what I have seen posted on this board, why stop there, become a medic or an RN. But the Number ONE RULE IS: LOVE WHAT YOU DO OR DO SOMETHING ELSE!!!! Then pay won't matter so much.

You are right about the salaries in Palm Beach County. EMTs start at 40K and medics start at 46K and they all get a 5% raise each year for 8 years. That is why it is so competitive to get a job there as well. Good Luck!

But you are comparing apples to oranges. The salary you quote is that of a very large, WEALTHY government that is providing dual role services. This means being a firefighter. A lot of the members here are single role providers. I would like to see you go make 40K without pulling a lot of OT as an EMT in Florida. You will not do it, I guarentee it. It will require many hours of overtime. Historically, fire/rescue services always pay more because of the dual role and the fact that the IAFF puts a stronghold on every council member and makes raises and/or decent salaries happen. I am not saying it is a bad thing, but it is definitly what we need to do as single role providers. If you don't speak up and throw fits like the IAFF does, you will never get more money or a living wage. And I say this as a former member of the IAFF and soon to be again member...

$8.87 USD per hour plus shift (pm and weekend) differentials as an EMT-B/Tech in an ER. Also full benefits for about $35 a week.

Unfortunately I am having to drop from part-time benefited (requires 36-hours per week) to part-time casual in order to complete my Paramedic clinicals. Our ED employs Paramedics to treat low-acuity patients under the supervision of an NP or PA. But no one gets the pay or perks (bonuses and overtime) of an RN, which is why I am reluctantly going to tackle that next. PA school sounds nice, but just lacks the flexibility of an RN with travel opportunities and scheduling.

Western Central NY EMT-B make from $7.00/hr, CC's make around $10.00/hr & Paramedics around $12.00/hr. The further east you go towards Albany, the pay increases. I currently am with an agency about 40 miles west of Albany & we started at $8.50/hr for Basic's and after 4 yrs & no raises (agency wide) I'm at $9.27; Medics make from $11.00 to $20 /hr. Municipalities close to Albany, an EMT-B can make $15/hr to start!

I actually found something rather interesting today. A sort of reversal from which I have been accustomed to. The largest city in the state will start out basics at 7.35 but smaller cities (1/3 of the size) will start them out between 8-9. I guess looking at it more I would guess it is because the larger city pumps out more basics in the school and with more basics competing to work they can pay less as they will always fill the spots.

There ya go!

Supply and demand in its purest form.

And I have no sympathy for all those guys in that big city. They should have done their homework before they wasted their money on EMT school.

I actually found something rather interesting today. A sort of reversal from which I have been accustomed to. The largest city in the state will start out basics at 7.35 but smaller cities (1/3 of the size) will start them out between 8-9. I guess looking at it more I would guess it is because the larger city pumps out more basics in the school and with more basics competing to work they can pay less as they will always fill the spots.

Either way, both pay scales suck.

Just dont move here, im avoiding being affected by supply and demand.....thanks.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.