emt-b pay scale

Now it would be interesting to see how many actually keep their cert/license current in comparing those of < 2rs. As well as the % of increase in pay with retention, in comparison of those not in front-line EMS.

Alas, I would check.. but, I am taking a break doing my research thesis as it is....

R/r 911

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Craig, I would like to know if EMT's in Australia are part of the Civil Service or not.

Thanks...

civil service?

not sure what you mean.

here the state has control over all the emergency services

it is not city municipal based like in the states.

the state has one police force(15000+ employees)

one fire brigade (too bloody many......lol)

one rural fire service (70 000 volunteer and paid memebers- as from their web site) and

one ambulance service (3000+ employees)

the police and fire briagdes/services are under control of the emergency services minister

the ambulance service in under the control of the state health minister via the health department

due to the size of the state in remote areas there are volunteer rescue services (technical rescue not ems) that do some of the work (they being the State Emergency Service and the Volunteer Rescue association), both of these services are accountable to the state emergency services minister as well

as for the other states i really dont know

stay safe

I know that I chose the profession,it did not choose me.I was a phlebotomist before becoming an EMT.Pay for that was $7.00 an hour.I am currently enrolled in the medic course for this fall.I know what that the pay scale for our medics is $7.50.Our minimum wage is $5.15.I find it sad that our Wal-Mart employees make $8.00 an hour.BUT...I enjoy what I do,just not the pay.On one hand you look at your job as enjoy what you do,but you also have to survive and support your own family.

I know that I chose the profession,it did not choose me.I was a phlebotomist before becoming an EMT.Pay for that was $7.00 an hour.I am currently enrolled in the medic course for this fall.I know what that the pay scale for our medics is $7.50.Our minimum wage is $5.15.I find it sad that our Wal-Mart employees make $8.00 an hour.BUT...I enjoy what I do,just not the pay.On one hand you look at your job as enjoy what you do,but you also have to survive and support your own family.

First, thank you for finding your spelling and grammar checks. 2nd, if you want more money, your going to have to move elsewhere. North, South and west of you in adjoining states are paying pbasics twice that. Otherwise, Walmart seems a better option.

PRPG

I know that I chose the profession,it did not choose me.

Wow! I think you are the first person I have ever heard be honest enough to admit that!

Personal responsibility. What a concept! :thumbleft:

Anyhow, you have to take more into account than simple base rate. While they may be making three dollars an hour more than you in NYC, they are also paying a LOT more just to live there, so they're probably no better off than you. Same thing pretty much anywhere in California. And of course, there are large local variations too. I know AMR pays medics in one county two dollars an hour more than they pay their medics in the next county. Same employer. Same area. Two different pay rates.

Texas certainly has its share of places paying in the $6 dollar range for EMT's. But we also have a few excellent services that pay their medics $40k to $50k a year and up, before overtime.

Considering a great many EMT's in this country "work" for free, consider yourself lucky that anybody is willing to pay even $6 dollars an hour for your services.

Wow! I think you are the first person I have ever heard be honest enough to admit that!

Personal responsibility. What a concept! :thumbleft:

Anyhow, you have to take more into account than simple base rate. While they may be making three dollars an hour more than you in NYC, they are also paying a LOT more just to live there, so they're probably no better off than you. Same thing pretty much anywhere in California. And of course, there are large local variations too. I know AMR pays medics in one county two dollars an hour more than they pay their medics in the next county. Same employer. Same area. Two different pay rates.

Texas certainly has its share of places paying in the $6 dollar range for EMT's. But we also have a few excellent services that pay their medics $40k to $50k a year and up, before overtime.

Considering a great many EMT's in this country "work" for free, consider yourself lucky that anybody is willing to pay even $6 dollars an hour for your services.

The pay differences are higher than that actually...and we have volunteer medics too here...

Kristina, look to other areas. Believe it or not, you can make a living in the BLS world. Just find the right places to do so.

I have thought about moving,but I have 3 children and my family is here.The cost of living is changing here,but not the pay!Like I said before...I have 2 jobs.At my other job I am a set up manager for "new Lowes stores",the pay is so good!But this is not my profession.The reason I asked this question is because I travel all over the U.S. with this job and people freak out when I tell them how much EMT's make back home.I spoke with a lady when I was in Colorado and the make no less than 18 an hour on her squad.I should not complain about my pay,but I can not be a full time EMT/Paramedic on these rates of pay.But I want so passionately to put my time into something I care about doing.

I live in Ohio, and have been in EMS for approximately 8 years. My first job as an EMT-B was $6.50 per hour, and at that time I had 2 children, one four year old, and a newborn. When I first too the job I was told to pack clothes for 2 weeks, and buddy they weren't lying! My first paycheck was over $1000 take home (including OT). I however do not work there anymore, because they don't pay what they should. At the time yes I was making money, but at the cost of not seeing my family. Through out the years I worked for a "Nationally Known" company and made a little bit more an hour but the drive was killing me with gas costs. So I took a position closer to home, didn't make as much but much easier on the gas bill for my car. Now I work at a company where I am making $10/hour as a Medic........ most money I have ever made per hour. Only reason I am still there now and haven't moved on is because I have some decent insurance, which is something that I have never had before in my life was health care. So in Ohio, and I'm not sure how close you are to Ohio but it may be a consideration. I do have to agree though, it is a shame that our EMS People do not make more on the hour for what they have to do and put up with. But even though I struggle, I still manage to make it! My kids don't wear Abercrombie & Fitch clothes, but then again I don't wear Calvin Clines (which were the jeans when I was growin up). My kids have a home, clothes on their backs, food in their bellies, are active in sports and other things. So trust me if I can do it, so can you![/font:f1e60d8ba4]

Before I changed stations within the same company, my old partner was a basic. We walked into McDonalds one day and jokingly, he asked if they were hiring. Well, they were and he was hired on the spot making a dollar more on the hour at McD's. He didn't have to worry about AIDS, MRSA, C-Diff or any other contagious crap. He has no plans on getting back into EMS and is working on his manager-ship at McDonalds.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.