emt-b pay scale

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well now i see that career is not as easy as i though

6-8 per hours that is the hourly rages of a illegal Alien that is ridiculous

you are saving people lives not packing veryfine's bottler juice.

I'm still wanna know what is the rage of pay here in Massachusetts. for and EMT-B

and if there are out-there any government program that prepare people for this kind of Job.

keep the touch.

you are saving people lives not packing veryfine's bottler juice.

Don't flatter yourself. It's less than 200 hours of night school that can be completed in less than a month. It's not rocket surgery. What exactly do you think that should pay? :?

and if there are out-there any government program that prepare people for this kind of Job.

Yep. The U.S. Military. I highly encourage it. :wink:

well i hear that you have to go to school for around 6 months, take a test and if you pass it then you will be EMT-B (6 months) IS THAT TRUE ?:-k

and between pay for the class or go to the army and take it for free......well i choose the first option.

but thank you for the data anyway.

there are good places where the pay is around 9-12 hours if MA is one of those i will like to take the risk... this carreer has future step by step you cound become in Paramedic one day. that good. well say no more.

God Bless. :wink:

6 months or less. The B curriculum is often taught in 2 week marathon classes (which I don't recommend). The thing is, there are very few times when a B is going to "save" lives. If a B ends up saving someone, it is more likely that they have removed them from a dangerous situation (which is important) than performed a medical intervention. Basics have training and skills that allow for transport and not much more. I am currently a B, so I do know how little I can do and am frustrated by being unable to provide more definitive care. If anyone thinks that B's are truly capable of life saving medical interventions then tell the medic "I've got it" next time you respond to an unresponsive cardiac patient.

well i hear that you have to go to school for around 6 months, take a test and if you pass it then you will be EMT-B (6 months) IS THAT TRUE ?

You have to evaluate an education based upon content, quality, and contact hours. How many weeks or months or years it takes to complete the course is irrelevant. I can make an EMT class last anywhere from two weeks to two years by reducing the number of hours per class and per week accordingly. It's meaningless. You're still only getting 110 to 250 hours of instruction, maximum. Do you really think they can teach you anything impressive in that short time? The guy who cuts your hair has about twenty-times that education before he can take his test. Think about it.

Before you spend a dime on an EMT course, you had better do some very serious and focused job market research in the area you intend to work. That doesn't mean looking in the want ads. That means getting on the phone and calling every service listed in the phone book. It means putting on some slacks, a shirt and tie (or dress, as the case may be), and going to visit them and asking them what your job prospects are as a brand new graduate EMT. Ask THEM if you can even get a job. Ask THEM what they pay. Ask their employees what they make and what their working conditions are like. What you are likely to find out is that the only job you are going to find in urban Mass is not an EMS job, but an ambulance driver job for a private, non-emergency transfer company, hauling grandma from the nursing home to her doctor's office and back all day long. And for damn little money. If you are happy with $8 to $12 dollars an hour in urban Mass, then I hope you are comfortable living with your parents for the foreseeable future. Sure, a paramedic makes a couple dollars an hour more, but those jobs are just as hard to come by. You won't find a real EMS job in the Boston area until you have several years of experience.

Things are not as they seem. PLEASE do the research and the math before you commit to this nonsense. Don't leap before you look.

I think there's one piece missing from this extensively explored topic, and I'm going to mention it even though I suspect I'm going to have people jumping down my throat...

We're not viewed as professionals. I'd like to think that we are, and I like to think that someday we may be, but right now, I don't feel that as an EMT-B anyone considers me to be much beyond an "ambulance driver" or a "dialysis monkey". Even working full-time in a system that uses BLS for 911, this comes up a lot. Being viewed as the absolute bottom of the healthcare food-chain isn't exactly conducive to decent pay.

Part of this is the limitations of BLS - we all know what they are and it has been discussed to death, so I'm going to skip that.

The other part, I think, is how some of us act in facilities and in people's homes and when out and about in uniform. I do my best to be professional, to be polite and generally to present a clean, competent appearance to my patients and to hospital/facility staff. Not all of my co-workers make the same effort. I have partners who do not know the meaning of "clean shirt", and who do not make use of deodorant. I have partners who make no effort to not bang the stretcher and patient into doorways. I see some other EMTs being rude or indifferent to patients, rude to staff, and some who even take the attitude "Why should I do any interventions, we're just driving them". Some partners don't even consider it necessary to spell words correctly in reports or remove trash from the back of the ambulance between calls. I've even met EMTs who'd rather lower standards than get some extra education to deliver better patient care. Nothing says "we care" like the gauze wrappers from the last patient, mumbled replies, and smelling like a football player after the game.

I don't want to generalize, because there are a lot of very good, very professional EMT-Bs out there, but what I've gotten out of working in this field is a general indifference and lack of awareness of the overall image we're projecting. Until we can get our act together and be more professional, I wouldn't expect much respect or the pay scales that come with respected professions.

I think there's one piece missing from this extensively explored topic, and I'm going to mention it even though I suspect I'm going to have people jumping down my throat...

Not by anybody who matters. :wink:

The force is strong in this one, Jake! :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.