Saved! New Paramedic Drama on TNT

Meanwhile, on a general level, based on the comments here, I didn't realize all the smart ones were in EMS, and everyone else was dumb.

I don't see that anybody said that. My specific point, as well as Scaramedic's point, was that most everybody misunderstands that which they have no other exposure to other than television. I specifically stated that I was as dismayed with public safety's perception of journalism as I was with journalism's perception of public safety. It's universal. It is not us against them. Everybody's understanding of the world is shaped by the media. And the media, unfortunately, has no better understanding of reality than the general public.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there people who don't understand everything? Absolutely, they exist in every business, and they will always be there.

Also, I imagine that outside of the trade publications JEMS, etc, there are very few reporters at newspapers around the country dedicaded to covering EMS or EMS issues. At major metropolitan dailies, sure, there are people covering the fire departments and police departments, and maybe losely EMS.

Maybe that's where the PR person comes in, to help educate the media, no? I think expecting the media to know every detail about the EMS arena is a bit crazy, especially if those reporters are covering EMS issues today and the flower show tomorrow.

Anyway, that's a larger issue, which gets beyond "Saved."

Completely agree. That was exactly my point.

But I'm not really talking about "the media" as in journalists. The point is the general public and their perception from entertainment television and movies. The news media does about as good a job of covering EMS as they do anything else, give or take.

OK so you have seen the first episode. Great good for you. but the rest of us that only get to see what the previews and 30 second trailers on the net have to show, well we have to go by what is seen.

If he ends up truly loving being a paramedic then let him show pride in himself and him service by dressing in the uniform and not having it unbuttoned, untucked, and open showing a concert tee shirt or what ever it is. and as far as being forced in to med. school by his father, sorry again, bad story line. Can not be forced into anything after 18yrs old. So that doesn't fly either. The statement made by whom ever about this being a hobby and not a career is the biggest problem. How someone could possibly think that a statement like that would not live in the mind of a kid or even an undecided adult that could be looking to make this a career is beyond me.

IF you have been reading the posts in other forums and notice the over all attitude of this site or at least of the main contributors you would know that professionalism and education are the paramount in the continued improvement as forward push of EMS. Those of us that have made this our careers and dedicated ourselves to the drive for professional recognition are the ones that can see the damage this can and will cause.

And as far as how the media represents EMS here where i am from ... well it is slowly improving. i can still see a young reporter seeing this as their first " experience " with EMS and letting it sway his judgment. We are consistently being treated like the red-headed step-children. Because of this kind of influence.

Race

Don't any of these producers think of ER's model of medical accuracy? The way the characters and their interactions are portrayed as people that might actually exist in an ED somewhere?

Here's another example of what I think this show is going to be like to medical professionals, Grey's Anatomy. They never study, or work patients, they are too busy gossiping and porking each other. They are emotionally unstable and probably should be on some kind of medication too.

The public wants a show about a dedicated professional so it can step out of their world and into theirs and zone out on the tube. People that are above this soccer mom pandering portrayal of a vulnerable, tortured, nice guy.........*sigh* formula once again, will be watching something else.

I know. They can just log on here.

I know I'm probably wrong with this opinion. Besides RESCUE ME,how many other shows out there presently or in the past have shown Police and Fire the way shows portray EMS. Some of you know what I'm getting at. EMS is usually portraid as 2 guys wheeling a litter to the Pt loading them and both crew members jump into the front of ambulance and drive away. I think we are always portraid in a negative way in shows.

I had been on a call several years ago,where the medic and I loaded the Pt in the back of our unit,and the family member asked if one of us was going to ride in the back with their family member. I said that the medic was going to be starting an IV and we would be placing this person on a monitor,etc etc. The family member was surprised and said to me (I'm not kidding) that is not what she had seen them do on the tv shows. :?

So I have to agree with several people on this topic. :D

I agree, perhaps this show doesn't show EMS in all that positive a light, but at least it presents a little a more depth to the characters than most of the 2D portrayals.

First of all, the idea of a med school drop out/underachiever being a paramedic isn't all that far fetched. I know a great deal of people who have abilities, talent, and educational background to do a great number of things, but because of their own personalities or choices in life, they find working as a paramedic is where they want to be. The first paramedic I ever worked with way back in the day doing EMT-Basic observations was originally an architect from Boston. I really wish I knew him longer, there definitely was an interesting story of why he was where he was. I currently work with a former gourmet restaurant chef and someone with a masters degree in history. Myself even, I won't delve into my personal life, but at one time my career goals were far different from where I am now. EMS is a great place to be for the intellectually gifted underachiever.

I haven't seen an episode yet, but doesn't look all that bad, honestly. I guess if I had to pick between watching Johnny and Roy get someone out of a train car after they were overcome by fumes with no protective gear on (seen it), or those friggin twerps on 'In a heartbeat' stop football practice to go save some lives, or Doc et. al on Third Watch respond out of the fire station to save a woman encased in ice (seen that too), or watching someone work a paramedic when he has other options in life and some emotional problems, I'd pick the latter.

As bad as some of the earlier television shows were, some portrayed EMT's & Medics as professionals. Yes, some scenes was for t.v. production only. What is truly scary is that Emergency is nearly 35 years old. Still so many communities do not even offer this level of care.

Our profession needs to have more "watch dog" groups.like other professions do. To help assure, that our profession is presented in a positive light. Maybe, recommending that Paramedics do not transport obvious DOA with L/S .

R/r 911

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.