Saved! New Paramedic Drama on TNT

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just thought I'd give a bit of perspective as to how a lot of these shows about ems are perseived by those of us that don't actually work in ems (though I have an obvious connection that provides a little insight). I think that the people like you that do this job are "wired" differently than say the average Joe that is being targeted by this show. I remember a former coworker of my husband's saying that the reason they can do and see the things they see on the job (this was in reference to a bad accident where someone's brains were literally all over the road) and continue to want to do the job, is because they don't find the "guts", etc. necessarily disturbing, that they can look at that and go "wow, now that's interesting", where the average person would be tossing their cookies.

That said, there is a lot about your job that the public would find to be a turn off, if it was realistically portrayed. But, boy do they want to romanticize about it. That's all these shows are, romantic fantasies for the average person. The studios know that, if the realities of your profession were really what the public wanted, then they'd give them that too.

I don't think you guys are the target audience for this, but I do sympathize with the trouble the misconceptions may cause you. Perception is everything. But, I do have to say I have always thought the lead actor is cute (sorry honey)...

Come on Dust, not even Alyssa? :shock: What if the t-shirt she wore was very tight and she didn't wear a bra? Would you still care about the storyline? :lol: I say forget the story, just stare at her chest like your supposed to.

I personally haven't seen much of the show advertisements, just one quick blip, and I thought, here it goes again. I did watch rescue me for a bit (but lovely scheduling prevents that now), and I do admit I was a fan of third watch, but not for the reasons one may think. I liked it because it actually showed that some people have a life outside of this profession, that this is not all there is. Yes they got quite carried away with some of their treatments, and exciting stuff was happening every two seconds, and all that, but it also showed they were human and made mistakes and that they had to live with those mistakes. I have yet to see a show acurately portray that side of fire/ems. Now as far as the out of control personalities, well, there is much of that which does go on in EMS. I know of several medics personally which I have worked with that were fired and lost their license for things like using drugs outta the sharps box, inappropriate actions in the back of an ambulance (enough said there), and even had a medic from the first service I worked for that killed his 8 month old child. This job puts a stress on us that we don't realize some times. It's a sad but true thing. I've been in this profession for 5 years this month in various roles. I've worked industrial medicine, occupational health, at racetracks, fire departments, and transport services. I've seen alot in those 5 years, but not nearly as much as I know many others have. I've learned alot, but I know there is still a whole lot more to learn by a long shot. The one thing I am tired of seeing on tv though is the whole GOD complex that every medic on tv seems to have. They are the best, they always get it right, and there is no state board to kick their butt when they do wrong, no dreaded QA when they want to know why you did something you knew was right, but they didn't like, and the struggle to balance a family, full time job, and trying to work usually two jobs to make a living. All the fire/ems/pd people on tv can live (quite well I might add usually) on one job. I'd like to see that happen in real life. As far as the tee shirt thing, that's at the bottom of the list. Yes it's not the most professional thing, but there are worse things. Around here there is a large volunteer fire base which makes first response as well as many off duty people who respond due to the rural area. I thank God every day for them, I've had them show up in their pajamas before, and frankly I didn't care. Our departments policy is polo shirts and BDU's until 7 pm (we don't wear the blue shirts due to us looking too much like the local cops it has caused major issues at scenes before) and tee shirts from 7 pm to 7 am. Our polos are blue with only the department logo on them. No patches at all. We are a joint fire/ems service (do rotating shifts 6 months on fire, 6 on EMS). And despite being a country service, we do a large volume of calls for the area and we are expected to always be clean, tidy, and professional acting. Bottom line is despite our best efforts, the public has the image that we don't treat the patient, we are simply a means of transport (had a gentleman tell me once, why don't you put my wife in the truck and drive to where they can actually do something for her. I used to do this job, I know it's all you do-mind you he was about 70). He and the public didn't realize how far our profession had progressed. We need to focus on educating the public, and not depend on some tv show to do it for us. Good care and professionalism will get us farther than publicity through a tv show ever will. Not law, just simply my two cents. Later.

As happy as I am to see more Paramedic/EMT representation on TV, I am horrified of Saved. We are a profession that is vastly unknown to the majority of the public. What little they do know about us... comes from television and movies. I remember as a kid wanting to be a firefighter because Kurt Russel was the man in Backdraft and because he did all those amazing (and risky) stunts. I thought that's what firefighters do.... I was wrong. The public knows us be the images they see of us. Many people when they find out I am an EMT ask me what it's like. Because I work with a Rescue Ambulance, and closely with the fire department, they ask if it's really like Rescue Me. It is GREAT that television producers want to make shows about us to try to show the public the truth, but they really need to hire a consultant to tell them what it's really like. Hell... they can give anyone of us a call and we could set 'em straight. lol.

The thing is, I don't think that their goal is to show any truth about your profession at all. I think they are going with the "what sells" mentality here. The general public likes to think that you all have days full of drama and heroism (and sex in the back of the ambulance; I'm sure they have a demographic study to show the appeal of including this). There are many aspects of your job that just wouldn't be "entertaining". The stereotype sells.

It is a shame that shows like this further perpetuate misconceptions about your jobs, particularly when it undermines the respect you deserve. But it is a t.v. show, not a documentary, and the people most likely to be interested in the truth already know it, and respect you. If they don't, I would venture to guess that is because it does not fit into their agenda (I'm speaking of doctors that demean you to make themselves look bigger and parents/family that don't like the choice you've made, for whatever reason).

You know why you do the job, you know the realities of your job. That's what is important. If people come to you and ask if your job is like a particular show, and you feel it is appropriate to educate them, then by all means, do so. Rather than be irritated by the question, maybe you can view it as an opportunity to set things straight. It's the people that don't ask that I'd be more concerned about.

Ultimately, does it matter so much what other people think? Does it mean your job is not important? I don't think so. But, I do understand your frustration and need to vent.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, what do you know we got noticed!.. Now it is a shame that they placed him with apparent idiots to gather some exposure for a real life experience and exposure .. from the article:

one of the MEdic describes not wearing gloves :

"We were on a ride-along with this guy who had no gloves," Scott said. "We really liked this guy. He had been a paramedic for nine years. He said, 'I don't like not having the human touch. When I'm treating someone, I don't want them to feel like there's something between them and me. I don't want them to feel like this unwanted person"

I guess he doesn't want to loose that human touch of Hepatitis, HIV, Community Acquired Pneumonia, etc. as well or his patients receiving all the nasty critters he touched when he touches them as well. Yeah, this is the idiot I want taking care of my grandma who might be immunosuppressed. Thanks buddy for the human touch and diseases as well! No thanks! Granny rather not be on Vancomycin because you want to "feel there is something between you and them... uhhh!!! like viruses & bacteria maybe?... Get a clue... hopefully, whatever EMS this is that employs this moron fires his ass. The makers of Tamiflu and Levaquin thanks you!...

R/r 911

Thanks, Fan! :thumbright:

I guess he doesn't want to loose that human touch of Hepatitis, HIV, Community Acquired Pneumonia, etc. as well or his patients receiving all the nasty critters he touched when he touches them as well. Yeah, this is the idiot I want taking care of my grandma who might be immunosuppressed.

Meh... gloves are just an excuse for lazy providers to not wash their hands. Conscientious hygiene is key, not rubber.

I guess he doesn't want to loose that human touch of Hepatitis, HIV, Community Acquired Pneumonia, etc. as well or his patients receiving all the nasty critters he touched when he touches them as well. Yeah, this is the idiot I want taking care of my grandma who might be immunosuppressed. Thanks buddy for the human touch and diseases as well! No thanks! Granny rather not be on Vancomycin because you want to "feel there is something between you and them... uhhh!!! like viruses & bacteria maybe?... Get a clue... hopefully, whatever EMS this is that employs this moron fires his ass. The makers of Tamiflu and Levaquin thanks you!...

R/r 911

I've got to agree with Dust. Gloves are INCREDIBLY oversued in EMS. Water...soap...not gloves to touch every patient.

I agree of course with soap and water (with at least a 15-30 second scrub otherwise it is useless), but having access is not always possible. Please, the hand gels just give a false security... the gloves should be for the patient benefits .. not just ours. Ever cultured the steering wheel or arm rest of an EMS rig?.. I have, that is why I suggested gloves.. please wear them if I am the patient... I rather not have the "extras"... :wink:

R/r 911

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.