Saved! New Paramedic Drama on TNT

I don't even have the patches I should on my jumpsuit!! I have not gotten the wife to so them on yet. When I passed NREMT (I think I am the only EMT-B in the station that is nationally registered) I asked where the patch goes and I was told "we do not wear that!" I think it is just because the person I asked was jealous I had done something she hasn't!!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to be contrary.....I think I like it. :lol: It may be completely inaccurate, but it puts us in the public eye. LMAO..... this reminds me of a couple calls I had where the family or bystanders on scene were like "this is like Third Watch". Funny how they don't think of it as entertainment mimicking reality but the other way around. It's quite absurd really. But anyway, it is good to see, if nothing else, that the public is recognizing what we do as a separate profession to fire fighters and that they find it interesting enough to waste some time on watching. :bootyshake:

OK...ok....I'm glad that they are putting more medic shows on t.v.....so I like the thought process...but for God's sake will someone do it RIGHT??!!!???

This really PISSES me off......Like Race and Rid said....WTF?!! How are we to be taken seriously....?? I'm so sick and tired of everyone passing our job off as just fun and acting like it's no big deal. Professionalism is SO important to me, and then this schmuck is on t.v. wearing a t-shirt...and the whole "hobby" thing.....

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(OK...I'm done....I've been up all night on calls...can you tell? I need my morning coffee and a nap...oh and possibly some valium..... :mumum: )

xoxo

I was wondering how long it would take for this string to heat up.

First, I've seen the whole first episode, I have a feeling a lot of folks will be upset at the portrayal. The T-shirt thing. The shock thing. There's also a scene where he has sex with his former girlfriend/nurse in the back of the rig, while its parked at the hospital, if I remember correctly. I'd have go back and check, but I think there might have been a scene without gloves, too.

And there are some touching moments, too.

That said, let's not forget, it's a TV show, nothing more. I don't believe viewers walk away from any show beliving that's exactly the way a profession is whether it be paramedics or truck drivers in BJ and the Bear.

Characters have to be flawed in some way to be interesting. Likewise, with any show, they've got to build up drama, too. Hell, would anyone want to watch segment after segment of a good, sweet paramedic answering call after call of an elderly woman who puked on herself?

I was wondering how long it would take for this string to heat up.

Characters have to be flawed in some way to be interesting. Likewise, with any show, they've got to build up drama, too. Hell, would anyone want to watch segment after segment of a good, sweet paramedic answering call after call of an elderly woman who puked on herself?

Good point....but I'm still pissed.... :angry8:

Ok... I can't view the clip here, so I'm not sure I have a clear view of the type of "T-Shirt" that you are all describing, but I CAN say that some of our departments here wear T-Shirts.... Would it be my first choice for my staff.. no, however, it doesn't affect the way that they provide care. We have some of the very best EMT-B's and Paramedics in our area... folks who are at the top of their game and ability regardless of their attire.

And once again I'll state that I can't view the clip (but will this weekend) but it's important to remember that this is TV. With that said... I can't tell you the number of times that I've had conversations with my family, friends or the public who don't "do" EMS, who DO think that what is portrayed on TV is close to the real deal.... and I have to remind them that it IS a show.

The truth is... some of this stuff DOES happen at some places.... Have I ever heard of someone "getting some" in the back of the rig.. of course... numerous times. Have I ever known of a "Medic" (speaking of both EMT's and paramedics) that didn't wear gloves when they should have... Yep! And there are TONS of folks out there who have no choice but to wear the "Dynamed" jackets, with the generic patches (not our service, but there are small services out there that don't design their own patches). There's nothing wrong with portraying the "off duty" realism... other than the fact that we don't want folks to think that's what we ALL do.

I'm a HUGE proponent of Professionalism, Education and Effectiveness.... but we shouldn't get in an uproar when these "Drama's" come on the TV/Movie Screen... It happens with every Occupation... do you think that what you saw on M*A*S*H was true to form...? It may have been for one or two units, but not likely for the entire Army.... If you want the public to get a clear view of what EMS is, and who we are as professionals, then get out and do some PR events, be a professional on each and every call, treat others with care and respect, and dont' complain when you get "another" transfer.... If we were doing more of these things, we wouldn't have to worry about the public watching a TV show and getting the "wrong idea"... of course.. that's just my 2 cents.... :wink:

This show may be dramatic. It may be well written w/ exciting interaction between characters. It may do well. BUT it still pisses me off that they take my profession and show the unprofessional side w/ a paramedic that has issues. I know "RESCUE ME" did well initially but I get tired of seeing real life problems w/ us supposed heros/public servants. Unfortunately a lot of the public does believe what the see on T.V. as real. And yes we do have "Cowboys, Renegades, Drunks, Jerks, and downright A-holes in EMS/Fire. I have to fight those unprofessional images that the public has more than I like.

Just my 2 cents.

The T-shirt issue in question is this. Tom Everett Scott, who plays the lead paramedic, wears his duty shirt unbuttoned with some sort of logo t-shirt underneath. That's what people are referring to as far as the T shirt thing goes. Is it a big deal, absolutely not. But some in the EMS field will get bent out of shape because he's not professional looking.

Will some people think this is the real deal, of course. But, a large portion of the TV viewing community is smarter than that. They understand what's on the small screen isn't exactly a perfect portrayal.

As for the mention of Rescue Me, that's terrific show, one of the very best dramas on television. And yes, some of the FDNY don't like it. But, there are also some in the FDNY that do think its accurate, or close enough.

The difficulty with these sorts of situations is this: Lots of people react without seeing the actual show, and go just on a clip. Wait until it airs in June and if you think it blows, great. If you like it, great. But wait until you see the whole thing before just shooting it down willy nilly.

I guess we both have the same opinion.. the way some people perceive journalist. Like Mary Tyler More show, with Ted Baxter, Lou Grant..(Hey, it won numerous awards as well) or Will Ferell in anchorman (it's all the same anyway right ? ) Hey, the public is smart enough to figure that out right ?

Yeah, the public is so smart Tylenol has to place national ads not to take an overdose or McDonald's with lids.. Coffee is HOT !... Sorry, you are preaching to the wrong group of people... Based on the general public intelligence, if breathing was not an autonomic reflex.. most people would be dead by now!

R/R 911

Ridryder 911,

Now come on now, you know those warnings are on the coffee because of the lawyers, not the people who spilled the coffee.

And, as a journalist with 25 years of experience, I've not had one person compare or ask about my work in relation to Ted Baxters.

And, again, having seen Saved, I can tell you the representation of the paramedics is no where as silly as Baxter or Will Ferrell.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.