Should deaf people be allowed to be EMT'S or Medics

emt3225

Should deaf people be allowed to be EMT and Medics  

83 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • I couldn't care less

He complained and made a big stink and they passed him along saying it was the fault of the instructor to have not have noticed that he wasnt doing well on his test.

This is an unfortunate reason that many people get into this profession, when in actuality they shouldn't have.

Sorry, but I would never work with a legally deaf person on the job. Never ever. In the end they are going to be putting me at risk for many reasons, both clinical and practical. I don't second guess my partner if he/she decides on a treatment plan. Unless A) They ask. :lol: It is grossly apparent to me that it may not be the right diagnosis C) It is against standing orders.

Because in the end, I could very well get in trouble for not reasonably recognizing it.

The only exception that I can see is if you work in a system where you have a lot of hands on EVERY scene, and they are one of them. Unfortunately most normal EMS systems have 2 people in the vehicle and no other "trained" help on scene. Sorry, in the end it is my job too...Same goes for people that can't reasonably lift...

my physician is your typical general practicioner and had no problems in med school or his residency performing the required tasks.

I find this hard to believe. Part of your job is to diagnosis based on YOUR findings, not on someone elses assessment. Auscultation of various sounds (lung, BP, etc...) is an INTRINSIC part of YOUR job. You are unable to do this? Sorry, look into research medicine. I don't take my partners word (nor I assume do they take mine) on EVERY element of an assessment. You disagree? Want a second opinion? Do it yourself...Unfortunately this disability limits this wholly...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know to be honest, I haven't gotten a serious of medics that were an inch apart and tested to see at what point are they to short. I will say that 4'8" wouldn't allow for the person to use the stair chair today, and if the patient codes they would have had to lifted onto the cot to do CPR effectively.

The shortest I can recall that I've worked with was 5'2" and while she only weighed in at 106 lbs., she could lift three times her body weight. :wink:

BTW: I'm only 5'7.5" <~~~have to throw in the .5" :lol:[/quo

I'm 5'4 and everyone else in the Corp towers over me..Soo i leave them to do all the lifting... :lol:

I agree with many of the replies. At my factory, we cannot hire people who are deaf or illiterate due to the safety risk to themselves and coworkers. Hearing is critical to most jobs, but there are some jobs that can accomodate deaf people. Illiterate people usually get through a simple hiring process. Many companies now have skills testing that bring that out. With technology today, many jobs are operated by computer, and throw in all of the safety signs (some cannot be interpretted with pictures) and you can see the problem.

Although with all of the abbreviations on Pre hospital reports, they could probably jot down some jibberish and it would almost be readable. JK

Being partially deaf myself I guess I'm a little biased. I have difficulty listening to breath sounds. I can do it in a perfect environment, but with a little noise I have a hard time. But that's what a partner is for. It seems that there are a lot of people in EMS who have some sort of difficulty that could potentially interfere with performing their job... height, weight, asthma, allergies, dyslexia, etc. But they all find a way to compensate. Hearing impairment should be no different.

Having said that, I wouldn't want to work with a partner who is deaf as well. That would be very bad for the patient, and make it a very long and conversationless shift! :lol:

Devin

Being partially deaf myself I guess I'm a little biased. I have difficulty listening to breath sounds. I can do it in a perfect environment, but with a little noise I have a hard time. But that's what a partner is for. It seems that there are a lot of people in EMS who have some sort of difficulty that could potentially interfere with performing their job... height, weight, asthma, allergies, dyslexia, etc. But they all find a way to compensate. Hearing impairment should be no different.

Having said that, I wouldn't want to work with a partner who is deaf as well. That would be very bad for the patient, and make it a very long and conversationless shift! :lol:

Devin

pretty fair assessment -

i know of and used to recieve patients from a deaf paramedic - he wore hearign aids in both ears and theonly problem he had identifed was listening to breath sounds etc - one suggestion he was looking into - at the suggestion of some of the medical physics types was is it possible to get an electronic stethoscope and interface it with a inductive loopset - pop the aids to the 't' position and bob's your mother's brother - forget ambient sounds totally and just hear what the steth was picking up

A little known document, sarcasm noted, is the functional job analysis for EMT and Paramedic. This is a Dept of Labor/DOT document. Before emotion writes a check and your..., never mind. Familiarize yourself with this, especially if you are an instructor. You can find it in both the EMT-B and EMT-Paramedic National Standard Curriculum. States also have rules and regs regarding physical ability.

Also, as noted earlier ADA doesn't give a blanket coverage. Reasonable is the key. Just a little light reading to keep you out of trouble.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.