1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • I couldn't care less

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should had never to be allowed into the program. Nothng against disabilites by far, but part of the job decription is to be able to auscultate, communicate verbally, etc.. Pateint assement is based upon so many of our senses..

This was a bad deal to allow this.. the should had been placed into another division that they could perfom at.

Be sfe,

R/R 911

I agree There is so much in terms of personal safety that it just so wrong with letting a deaf person in.

1. Extrication scene - they need to be able to hear over the tools

2. Auto accident scene on highway - if they cannot hear the commander say move then they are dead.

3. Fire scene - they are near a wall that begins to collapse - can't hear the shouts to get the (*)(&)()* out of the way then they are dead.

4. Can't hear a blood pressure or listen to lung sounds - nope doesn't cut it.

5. How do they give a radio report

So there are a lot of items that they need to be able to do but cannot. I for one do not want a partner who is deaf. No offense to the hearing impaired but they have to be able to do the same job I do and I don't want to be completely responsible for them.

:D It's sad and unfortunate, but no, they don't belong in this profession. As mentioned by those above, lung sounds, scene safety issues, general communication..... There's no way someone with this disability can do the job to suit the needs of the patient and their co-workers. A lot of times, there are only two crew members on an ambulance. Not at all trying to be rude, but I would not want to depend 100% on that person as a partner. Their intentions may be well above any normal partner you may have, but their limitations are what counts. Possibly a desk job in EMS, or some other form to accommodate them...just not in the field. Too many mistakes and liability. I don't see how it could work, even with the best of attitudes or intentions.

They should had never to be allowed into the program. Nothng against disabilites by far, but part of the job decription is to be able to auscultate, communicate verbally, etc.. Pateint assement is based upon so many of our senses..

This was a bad deal to allow this.. the should had been placed into another division that they could perfom at.

Be sfe,

R/R 911

I agree with you totally...We had such problems with him..I also remember having him in my EMT class and he never did well..He didnt pass the last class final to be able to move on to take the state test.. He complained and made a big stink and they passed him along saying it was the fault of the instructor to have not have noticed that he wasnt doing well on his test. I don't know how he passed the state test. I saw him at the corp a few months after he passed the state test and a call came in for a sick male.. I asked him to do something and he didnt do it..i was starting to get upset as to why he was ignoring me and then i remembered he was deaf. Other members of the corp had problems with him for one he gave a nebulizer treatment without taking a BP first along with a nitro. Anyway to make a long story short the chief had to ask him to leave the corp..He resigned and that was it.

Not to change the topic, but I've raised the same question about a min. height requirement.

Both tie into the same issue, how safe can it be with them operating on a day to day basis.

What do u feel should be the min height requirement for this job? I'm just curious to know because i'm not that tall myself... :D

I work with a vertically challenged medic.. they claim that they cannot lift due to their height.. however; they have now became accustomed with everyone lifting for them, even their jumpbags..

I have worked with short partners before, even in the old days of actually lifting patients out of the rig (2 man stretcher) .. & didn't have any troubles. They learned they have to be in good shape...

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I am wondering for those that voted to allow them to work, how they justified their answer or reason behind it...?

Be safe,

R/R 911

Here at the county I work for, we are on for 24 hours, who/what is suppossed to wake this guy up. I guess we could go shake him up or have it rigged to where the lights come on, but where does reasonable accomidation end and just plain not worth it begin? I also agree with ausciltating lung sounds etc. I guess the B/P could be palpated in most cases, but then how is he/she going to be able to recognize a widening pulse pressure in head injury or a narrowing pulse pressure in cardiac tamponade? I just don't think that it makes good sense to allow it and your Chief seems to have made an honest attempt at giving the person a shot at making it work.

I guess those that "could care less" or would have them work .. could justify missing a pneumothorax.. or even hearing the chief complaint ? Would you go to a deaf physician ?.. especially if you were having a cough ?.. . Would we also allow a blind person as well ?..

I just find it funny they can vote,but are unable to discuss why such?..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.