Should deaf people be allowed to be EMT'S or Medics

emt3225

Should deaf people be allowed to be EMT and Medics  

83 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • I couldn't care less

Also when you have a deaf tech how can they hear what the PT is complaining of...Also what about when Med Com is trying to give the deaf tech a med order..Its not going to happen and then the PT'S life is at a greater risk...I really dont think they should be on the bus..

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really dont think they should be on the bus..

I don't have a problem with them on a bus. But they definitely have no business on an ambulance.

The American with Disabilities Act (herein referred to as the ADA), requires that employers make reasonable accommodations for employee's with disabilities. However, the ADA does not go as far as to extend blanket protection to individuals who are not able to perform the job. I think in this case any accommodation that would be made could be deemed as unreasonable. The employer would not be in violation of federal law, and patients would not be endangered by an individual who, unfortunately, has no business performing this job.

I assume it's not available from Books On Tape. :lol:

LMAO... :laughing3: .. Well he wrote they appearantly loved him, since he never heard them complain...LOL..

I can see the foreward .. thanks to all those patients, that I missed your wheezing, and to all those that were screaming in the house due to the fire, that i couldn't hear you .. sorry!

Be safe,

R/R 911

well.....i have no problem with a deaf EMT or Paramedic, i dont know any deaf people who would put themselves in the position to work in a field that requires so many different auditory cues. i do however have a deaf physician who i have no issues dealing with, etc etc.... his interperter that has been with him for over 15 years at the same hospital is also a PA and whenever something that requires hearing, such as lung sounds, or heart sounds need to be checked, he checks them. there is no reason a deaf person couldnt work in the healthcare field. that isnt an emergency setting. my physician is your typical general practicioner and had no problems in med school or his residency performing the required tasks.

but, ada's "definition" of reasonable, usually wouldn't require that a position where hearing is so vital to the safety of the employee as well as their ability to perform their function would not apply to an EMT or medic, i dont think. also: i don't think that in california you can even get an ambulance drivers certificate if your physical card says you have any hearing or vision deficits that are not correctable. but, i could just be guessing..

What do u feel should be the min height requirement for this job? I'm just curious to know because i'm not that tall myself... :lol:

I don't know to be honest, I haven't gotten a serious of medics that were an inch apart and tested to see at what point are they to short. I will say that 4'8" wouldn't allow for the person to use the stair chair today, and if the patient codes they would have had to lifted onto the cot to do CPR effectively.

The shortest I can recall that I've worked with was 5'2" and while she only weighed in at 106 lbs., she could lift three times her body weight. :wink:

BTW: I'm only 5'7.5" <~~~have to throw in the .5" :lol:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.