Medics refuse to take service dog

HERBIE1

We've transported a sight-assisting canine in the ambulance; and a beagle from an MVA. Our policy for transporting a service animal, compliant with the protocol - if it won't affect patient care. The shelves in our medical bag compartment snap into place. It's an interior cabinet, with antimicrobial walls, as the rest of the unit has. We remove the shelf, and the contents; and put it either in the front... Or have someone take it back to the station. As not having the bags won't affect what we do, they're just portable extras. The ambulance still has everything it's supposed to, in cabinets. Put a blanket on the floor, put the animal inside; and in both cases, it just laid down and enjoyed the ride. Both times it was secured in the EMS room, attached to the ER. The service dog was reunited with the owner when the patients spouse arrived, as the ER was extremely full, and the patient agreed (the patient) didn't need the dog yet. We don't have animal control, etc., to pick up animals. If they're alive, uninjured; and dogs. Either a fireman will take it home, to the persons home, or to a shelter in another area. If it's injured, we do what we can for it, and take it to a vet. Usually at our expense.

We do the same for cats too.. Except we don't transport them in the ambulance. We do have oxygen masks that fit them, though... http://www.wagnpetsafety.com/

The dog in this case was not just a pet, or an animal that someone had registered so the owner didn't have to leave it in the car while they stuffed their face. Unfortunately there are those who abuse the system, such as that person.

For those medics to want to just leave the dog there on the pavement was grossly inappropriate. The dog was the eyes for a human who's eyes didn't function. If it were me in that position, I most certainly would have taken the patient's "eyes" along with me, and taken the time myself to find another solution once at hospital.

We've all taken passengers that came only because the patient "didn't want to be alone" or whatever the reason. Why not take the patient's lifeline?

Cursing? Kind of touchy tonight?

Hey I subscribe to Pattons view on cursing, and if I want to curse AT someone, all I have to do look around here without getting online.

HOWEVER, if I want good discussion and debate then this is one of the places I would like to go, and in this venue cursing AT each other gets in the way....( now cursing ABOUT SOMETHING is a different thing altogether.... :punk: )

Just saying...

Edited by croaker260

Heres a better question, and a reason to not take the dog...How do i secure it? I dont carry dog seatbelts, and NJDOHSS states that any ambulance inspected and certified by said agency must be crash worthy and have all objects secure. If the ambulance is involved in an MVC, now this 110lb german shepherd is a 110lb projectile flying at my dome. If both my patient and i have to be properly restrained in transit, the dog should too, and i dont have the ablity to do that.

Nice try bullets but your argument does not work, and I am on your side. No vehicle is equipped as you state, even most animal control vehicles are just pick up trucks with empty cages on the back. The dogs are secured in an individual cage, but are not restrained (many are not even air-conditioned).

Heres a better question, and a reason to not take the dog...How do i secure it? I dont carry dog seatbelts, and NJDOHSS states that any ambulance inspected and certified by said agency must be crash worthy and have all objects secure. If the ambulance is involved in an MVC, now this 110lb german shepherd is a 110lb projectile flying at my dome. If both my patient and i have to be properly restrained in transit, the dog should too, and i dont have the ablity to do that.

A pet taxi cage would probably work so long as the cage was restraned and meets the owners approval to exume the service from liability if the animal is in some way, form, or fashion, injured during transport.

...The dog in this case was not just a pet, or an animal that someone had registered so the owner didn't have to leave it in the car while they stuffed their face....

How do you know?

...The dog was the eyes for a human who's eyes didn't function. If it were me in that position, I most certainly would have taken the patient's "eyes" along with me..

Could you not be bothered to read the rest of the thread? What is the dog going to 'see' for this man in this environment? That is all very politically correct and I'm sure it makes you feel warm and yummy, but it doesn't address the issues that are being discussed.

...Why not take the patient's lifeline?

Again, read the thread so that instead of simply parroting the same tired shit you can answer the questions asked. In what way is this dog a lifeline for this patient in this environment?

Why is everyone choosing to ignore such a simple question?

Get used to it ambo, thats what they do in this room. You are right, and again I ask, what do you think the hospital is going to do with this dog ? I am sure the hospital has alpo and dog water bowls to keep the dog happy for the week the patient is in the hospital. Also, if you guys are not aware there are lots of people who claim that their pet is a service dog just so they can fly with them in the passenger area instead of cargo, they claim the pets sense their seizures. A big load of BS. The patient does not need this dog in the ambulance or hospital.

Just to clarify.

There are trained dogs out there for epileptics, who can sense a seizure coming. They bark to let the owner know, so he can safely get on the ground (or off the street) beforehand, as to not suffer any traumatic injuries.

In this context, you can of course argue, that he/she won`t need that dog while being cared for in the ambulance and hospital (I get your point Dwayne ;) ).

I`d still take the doggie. ;)

Edited by Vorenus
  • Like 1

A very interesting read which has given me another opportunity to give pause to what I might do in the same situation. I went and reviewed our local protocols and there is nothing there specific to service animals, which I happen to like. I get to make the decision on how I want to handle and, if I do have concern, I can call command for backup.

For the record, I have had dogs in the back of my ambulance, during a fire rehab, while attending to a patient having breathing difficulties. He is being given a neb treatment and the dogs are being calmed by the patient while, at the same time, are calming the patient because he doesn't have to worry about them while his house is ablaze. (I seem to recall, once upon a time, where care AND comfort of my patient is my job.)

Now, these were pets and not service animals. Additionally, I wasn't transporting. But I can already see that I will do what I feel is best for the situation at hand. Had I needed to transport this gentleman, I would not have taken his pets because the receiving facility would not have had anyway to continue care of the animals. However, I had both my command and Red Cross available to assist which would have continued in his comfort.

So, I can see where I would consider taking the service animal if at all possible and if the situation warrants it. At the same time, I can also see myself leaving the animal in the care of command, law enforcement, red cross, or my local VFD to have the animal transported en tandem.

But, let me throw this one at you. Let's say your patient is unconscious/unresponsive and you need to fly your patient. I am truly assuming that HEMS most likely will not take the service animal for various reasons. Now, how do we get the service animal from point A to B with an extended transport time and across multiple counties?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.