Medics refuse to take service dog

HERBIE1

But, let me throw this one at you. Let's say your patient is unconscious/unresponsive and you need to fly your patient. I am truly assuming that HEMS most likely will not take the service animal for various reasons. Now, how do we get the service animal from point A to B with an extended transport time and across multiple counties?

In this particular scenario I would get LE or command to hang on to the dog until the time that the patient or family could return for it. I would even be willing to pick the dog up myself and care for it until it could be returned to it's owner.

How do you know?

Could you not be bothered to read the rest of the thread? What is the dog going to 'see' for this man in this environment? That is all very politically correct and I'm sure it makes you feel warm and yummy, but it doesn't address the issues that are being discussed.

Again, read the thread so that instead of simply parroting the same tired shit you can answer the questions asked. In what way is this dog a lifeline for this patient in this environment?

Why is everyone choosing to ignore such a simple question?

Having a bad day are we, Dwayne? You put a tablespoon of asshole in this soup. I addressed the post as I saw fit, and I won't apologize because your idea of an answer doesn't jive with what I said.

The article stated the man was blind. The blind man has a seeing eye dog. Hmm ... Quoting this person in the article:

"They refused to take a service animal who I need very much," said Graham, who suffered minor injuries. "He is my eyes."

And as per the article, he was treated for very minor injuries, so he likely didn't spend much time in hospital. What's the big problem with having his service animal there? Not like the animal was getting in the way while he coded or went for surgery ... So, seeing as how his hospital visit wasn't for a major life threatening reason, what was the big deal with taking the animal?

What if he wanted to bring his gun because he did not feel safe ? I see this as a safety issue, as I know several medics who are terrified of dogs, and dogs can smell that fear. This is no different than choosing to stage, his convenience does not trump my safety.

well if it happened here you could be fined for NOT accomodating the dog, it is illeagal to refuse a seeing eye dog, be it public transport, resturants, medical facilities etc

Since I don`t really know much about your regulations (and I just know that this question will eventually come anyways ;) ):

Can you quote or link to the paragraph stating that?

:wave:

Siffaliss, again, try reading the whole thread instead of just jumping in...I've repeatedly stated that I would of course have taken the dog.

But again, as you most often do, you chose to comment on my attitude instead of offering an intelligent reply to the questions asked. You're answer doesn't have to jive with me in any way, I was simply suggesting that you try and enter into an ongoing conversation having some idea what everyone is talking about.

Because the paper said it, it must be true? As others here have mentioned, that needs not be the case, though I have no need to question the validity of his claim to needing a qualified service dog to make my point.

I saw that he claims that the dog is 'his eyes', and many others here have agree. It's important for him to make that claim to shore up his lawsuit. I'm calling bullshit. I've challenged those here that disagree with that opinion to explain how this mans tool has any value in the environment that he was entering, yet none have done so.

There ya go. I've kinda summarized it for you. Saved you all of that pesky ready before making your next comment.

Dwayne

I saw that he claims that the dog is 'his eyes', and many others here have agree. It's important for him to make that claim to shore up his lawsuit. I'm calling bullshit. I've challenged those here that disagree with that opinion to explain how this mans tool has any value in the environment that he was entering, yet none have done so.

Totally get your point, Dwayne. It`s more of an emotional issue here (that being said, being not such a heartless bastard as I seem to be, I`d get the doggie on board for the pt. sake as well as the doggies) . But I think you`re right - from a legal point of view, there`s no necessity for the pt. to have the dog in his vincinity in the imminent present.

So IHLPP, it is okay to refuse a transport if you do not feel safe accommodating a service animal, but it is not okay to refuse a transport because you do not feel safe taking an unrestrained hyper-obese patient in your ambulance? Or are you only sympathetic to disabilities that CAN'T be controlled through diet or exercise?

• Like 2

I was going to say the same thing Asys but now I dont have to.

After reading all the replies since my last one, I'm not so sure that taking the dog with the patient is an earth shattering decision to make. The patient had minor injuries and was treated for them in probably a relatively short period of time. I probably would have taken the animal with the patient in this case. However, if the patient was seriously inured, I would have asked an officer to call family to come and get the dog and they could take possession of it so that it was safe and waiting for the patient when he got out of hospital.

To be honest, the animal would have no value while he was in the ambulance or the ED. Calling family to come and get the animal on scene and transporting it themselves to the ED would be better than just leaving it on the roadway. If family could do that, after the patient was treated and released, his "eyes" would be there waiting for him. Taking the animal with the patient is a convenience for him so he doesnt have to track it down when he gets released.

Teri (signed for Dwayne so he doesnt get me mixed up with Toni again LOL)

So IHLPP, it is okay to refuse a transport if you do not feel safe accommodating a service animal, but it is not okay to refuse a transport because you do not feel safe taking an unrestrained hyper-obese patient in your ambulance? Or are you only sympathetic to disabilities that CAN'T be controlled through diet or exercise?

Asysin, you need to go back and read the thread. I was the one who WOULD transport the obese patient, it was the rest of the room who disagreed. There is no way to know how a dog will react when scared. Yes these dogs are trained (I assume) but how many times have you been on calls where dogs attack their owners ? The patient does not need the dog while in the ER.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.