Medics refuse to take service dog

HERBIE1

I don't know anything about this animal, is it properly trained etc etc. What if it goes berserk while I'm starting an IV on the pt., thinking I'm harming him? Find someone else to transport the animal. If you called 911, and have a true emergency, lets not worry about your dog.

Sorry? Are you fucked in the head or are you actually serious? I can't tell through the extreme fail it's just too strong mate!

Of course the service dogs are properly trained.

Lets not worry about it? Would you not worry about taking some other essential piece of equipment for the patient? Would you not take Grandpa's wheelchair?

Sorry? Are you fucked in the head or are you actually serious? I can't tell through the extreme fail it's just too strong mate!

Of course the service dogs are properly trained.

Lets not worry about it? Would you not worry about taking some other essential piece of equipment for the patient? Would you not take Grandpa's wheelchair?

The law does not require service dogs to be properly trained. That is a huge assumption on your part.

"The ADA defines a service animal as any guide dog, signal dog, or other animal individually trained to provide assistance to an individual with a disability. If they meet this definition, animals are considered service animals under the ADA regardless of whether they have been licensed or certified by a state or local government." (http://www.ada.gov/qasrvc.htm)

The ADA may not however the agencies who supply service animals are a different story

I want a helper monkey to start my drips and do the laundry n' shit y'know?

A buddy of mine had one of those. Then she divorced him.

But really who is the law of the land? The companies that supply animals or the ADA?

The law not require the dog to be trained but that doesn't mean it isn't trained; I mean lets think about it the AFB or ASPCA or whoever is not going to give some blind bloke a seeing eye dog that shits on the floor and leads him into rush hour traffic.

When they used to run TV ads for the Blind Foundation here they knocked on about how it took something like 3,000 hours of training to become a guide dog.

A guide dog has more than 4x the minimum required Paramedic training in Texas ... we should give the dog the drug box :D

Are you fucked in the head or are you actually serious?...Would you not worry about taking some other essential piece of equipment for the patient?...

Before you go all jungle fever Underworlder, go back and read the rest of the thread. As has been asked multiple times, what about this dog makes him an essential piece of equipment in this environment? Seems like a simple question really...

Do you take every pet of every patient that asks? I sure don't. But why, when grandma sheds a tear while petting and saying goodbye to her old dog, why don't you offer to take it? It would serve the exactly same purpose as here, only be even more kind in her case.

And depending on the reason I'm taking grandpa, I may or may not take his wheelchair....they have em all over the hospital, as they DO actually serve a purpose in that environment.

Mate are you serious bloody hell ow you can't not take some blind bloke's guide dog pretty stink bro not even beached and no ghost chups required

I know of a crew who have transported seeing eye dog; can this guy get round (with help), take a shit and whatnot without said seeing eye dog? Fine, twist my arm, technically yes but I don't think its morally right to not take the dog

Now I still reckon I want one of them helper monkeys

Now I still reckon I want one of them helper monkeys

Kinda biased on helper monkeys, it`s hard to keep them living in a natural way. Hate dolphine therapy on the whole.

Before anybody gets the shit down on me - there are other animals who`d gladly do those tasks (as dogs do, training mainly goes through playing with the dog) without them being held unnaturally.

Horse therapy can reach as much as a dolphine therapy (evidence still needs to be brought forward that the contact with dolphines is better than the interaction with other animals), but it won`t damage the horse. I always hate to see the pictures of those poor crippled dolphines in pools.

To topic: I`d take the doggie, service animals are good trained and at some point he`ll need the dog, may it be only for emotional support (which would be higher I guess, than that of a "normal" pet).

I wouldn`t take the wheelchair in most cases, though. There are wheelchairs in hospital and the pt. will be transported back home to his own wheelchair in any case, so there`s no need for that thing.

First and foremost, a service animal IS NOT A PET!

It is an animal TRAINED to assist a handicapped person in doing whatever the handicap causes him or her to be otherwise limited or unable in doing. Dogs usually assist in blind people getting around town, acting as hands to open doors for those who are wheelchair-bound with upper extremity paralysis, and I've heard of a few trained to push a button activating a medical alerting device to call either a central station alarm company, or 9-1-1. Some animals seem to be able to sense when "their person" is having a siezure, and alert this to others in the area

Most, if not all, service animals actually wear a form of ID, such as a thing that looks like a vest that has wording on it, such as "Service Animal, Do Not Pet". The service animals used by blind folks are usually in a harness that has a hard raised handle, which I equate to appearing like a handle for a wheeled suitcase.

On a secondary note re the vest or harness: most agencies that train the animal/human teams have the animal under some kind of understanding, through the training, that they're "on duty" when wearing that harness. "Playtime" begins when the harness is removed. Don't many of us, when going on duty, refer to it as going into the harness?

Momma B, in person, and myself via TV, have seen a rather unusual service animal. Would you believe a blind woman being led by a miniature horse?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.