Medics refuse to take service dog

HERBIE1

What if he wanted to bring his gun because he did not feel safe ? I see this as a safety issue, as I know several medics who are terrified of dogs, and dogs can smell that fear. This is no different than choosing to stage, his convenience does not trump my safety.

If he has a liscense for his gun and is allowed by law would there be a problem?

So IHLPP, it is okay to refuse a transport if you do not feel safe accommodating a service animal, but it is not okay to refuse a transport because you do not feel safe taking an unrestrained hyper-obese patient in your ambulance? Or are you only sympathetic to disabilities that CAN'T be controlled through diet or exercise?

I thought we had resolved that issue in the appropriate thread. Please do not derail this one.

HLPP... I think you need to retread Asys's post. He is saying that it's not okay to refuse to take an unrestrained hyper obese patient because of safety issues but it's okay to refuse to take the service dog because of safety issues. Yor are creating a double standard for yourself and you are consistly inconsistent.

• Like 1

HLPP... I think you need to retread Asys's post. He is saying that it's not okay to refuse to take an unrestrained hyper obese patient because of safety issues but it's okay to refuse to take the service dog because of safety issues. Yor are creating a double standard for yourself and you are consistly inconsistent.

Do we really want to redo the unrestrained fat person thread again?

what happens if it is an unrestrained obese service / seeing eye dog? Where would IHLPP stand on that???

• Like 1

Do we really want to redo the unrestrained fat person thread again?

Yes, we do, because I'm right. IHLPP's non sequiter will not throw me off. On one hand she said that it is okay to transport an unrestrained hyper-obese patient despite the obvious safety (and IMHO legal) problems, then on the other hand she says she will not transport a service animal because of the safety problems. I'm sorry if some of your crew members are scared of doggies, but the thought of several hundred pounds of living flesh compressing me to a pulp in a motor vehicle accident frightens the heck out of me. You can't have it both ways.

Edited by Asysin2leads
  • Like 1

If he has a liscense for his gun and is allowed by law would there be a problem?

When I took a concealed carry class they were pretty clear that it wasn't an unrestricted right to carry. So if there was a location (hospital, school, post office etc.) that said you couldn't have a gun there you couldn't bring it in, regardless of your license.

People who come into my ER get parted from their guns, knives, pepper spray and billy clubs. Those that have a problem with that policy are welcome to leave and seek care elsewhere, or don't get care. Someone else's right to carry does not extend to my ER, a place with children, intoxicated people, gang members.

Those that disagree are welcome to have a talk with PD. And I find they tend to take my side.

In Texas, hospitals and nursing homes are no carry zones. I am not sure about ambulances. Does anyone know?

Edited by DFIB

Siffaliss, again, try reading the whole thread instead of just jumping in...I've repeatedly stated that I would of course have taken the dog.

But again, as you most often do, you chose to comment on my attitude instead of offering an intelligent reply to the questions asked. You're answer doesn't have to jive with me in any way, I was simply suggesting that you try and enter into an ongoing conversation having some idea what everyone is talking about.

Because the paper said it, it must be true? As others here have mentioned, that needs not be the case, though I have no need to question the validity of his claim to needing a qualified service dog to make my point.

I saw that he claims that the dog is 'his eyes', and many others here have agree. It's important for him to make that claim to shore up his lawsuit. I'm calling bullshit. I've challenged those here that disagree with that opinion to explain how this mans tool has any value in the environment that he was entering, yet none have done so.

There ya go. I've kinda summarized it for you. Saved you all of that pesky ready before making your next comment.

Dwayne

Again, it's a matter of you not liking/agreeing with what I had to say regarding the view I had on the thread. Don't like what I have to say or disagree with me? Skip over my post. And you chose to bring your attitude, so don't get your thong in a bunch when it's commented on :fish:

In Texas, hospitals and nursing homes are no carry zones. I am not sure about ambulances. Does anyone know?

If the ambulance is going to pull up to a hospital then you are being brought directly to a no carry zone, so I don't think it makes much sense to have a gun in the ambulance and then have to ditch the gun between the door of the ambulance and the door of the ER. And if you are carrying in the rig it is saying "I'm afraid for my safety from the EMT/paramedic," in which case, why call 911?

If the ambulance is going to pull up to a hospital then you are being brought directly to a no carry zone, so I don't think it makes much sense to have a gun in the ambulance and then have to ditch the gun between the door of the ambulance and the door of the ER.

This is really the only reasonable argument. LE can hold the gun for the patient along with the Dog both for the same reasons. There could be exceptions. Most concealed carry zones are defined by the state and could vary depending on where you work.

And if you are carrying in the rig it is saying "I'm afraid for my safety from the EMT/paramedic," in which case, why call 911?

This scenario is not necessarily true. Emergencies don't all happen at home or near a place where a firearm can be stored. A third party could call 911. Also, we can't turn a firearm over to the "next of kin" because they might not meet the legal requirements to cary a firearm on their person. Giving them a gun, even just for safekeeping, could constitute a crime for the medic.

This brings to mind another question. An unconscious patient that has a legal firearm is going to be transported. the medic discovers the gun during his secondary assessment.

Should he wait for the Police to hold the gun for him or should the medic secure the weapon in the rig and turn it in at the hospital along with the patients belongings to be held in a secure area at the hospital?

I know what I would do but am interested in others thoughts.

Edited by DFIB

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.