call volume

kyle308

I think I need to move to a bigger area. LOL

Our calls for the first county are about 1000 per year

On the second county I am on, we run around 800.

Both places are medic staffed 24/7 one ambulance and they have other ambulances available for call that are staffed with an on call crew (not always an ALS crew) We work 12 hour shifts and usually 6 days on and 7 off.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We run about 16K a year including IFT transports. 911 calls are an average of 14K and the rest are IFT. 6 crews during the day and 4 at night. We have 10 ambulances and run a minumum of 3 double medic crews that can be split and put with basics to make 9 crews total if needed. (The 10th rig is a POS and the boss wanted us to take it and drive into the river while we were on deployment for the flooding in Sept) An average day is 40 - 50 calls during the day shift which is 8 am to 5 pm. Night shift is 5 pm to 8 am. My schedule is 5 9 hour days but the norm is 24 hour shifts and in some cases 33 hour shifts.

There have been days that each crew does 10 calls in 9 hours. We cover all of Chemung County NY, part of northern Bradford County PA and part of Tioga County PA, hence the dual cert.

I think I need to move to a bigger area. LOL

Our calls for the first county are about 1000 per year

On the second county I am on, we run around 800.

Both places are medic staffed 24/7 one ambulance and they have other ambulances available for call that are staffed with an on call crew (not always an ALS crew) We work 12 hour shifts and usually 6 days on and 7 off.

There are pros and cons to busy systems. Pros- generally you see an incredible variety of stuff, and your skills are sharper.

Cons- Lots of BS calls, and it takes a toll on your body- physically and mentally.

I guess the grass is always greener...

As a service we run about 56,000 calls per year across 14-18 trucks (we staff additional trucks during the day). Each crew is assigned to 2 or 3 posts that they rotate through, switching every month. One of my posts is the busiest in the county and we run an average of 6-14 calls per 12 hours working downtown in the major county city, and at my other post we average around 1-4 calls per 12 hours working in one of the small rural towns in the county.

Less than a call per day ? Do you get paid or are you volunteer ?

It shouldn't matter if they are volley or paid. You have to remember that some rural services don't get the call volumes. Also it may be a smaller response area. I know there are times we go days without calls. They also could be talking actual patient contact calls and not standby, lift assist, etc.

well our area constanly does around 250- 300 ++ jobs a day

the service does well over a 1000 ++ jobs an day and past a million transports a year

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.