Is this considered backwards racism

Just Plain Ruff

Ok let's hold parents responsible!!!. How does one do that? You can hold the teachers responsible by limiting their raises, requiring additional education. Hold the students responsible by making requirements which punish or take away extra curricular activities such as sports and band.

But how do we hold the parents responsible. Some parents don't give a shit about this type of stuff and will pitch a holy shit fit if they are asked to do anything more than doing the bare minimum.

You can't take education away from their kids as its a right!!

Parents have no true vested interest in making their kids succeed because the truth is that it truly doesn't affect them the parent. Little johnny is failing, what are you going to do to the parent?? This is a serious question. What kind of penalties can you atach to the parent? I'm betting there are no penalties that you can assess the parent that won't get taken to court by the aclu in a heartbeat.

Taking away the privelidges of litle johnny who is failing, has no family structure, is a memberof one of those classes that annie posted above, is just punishing the student andnot the parent.

I do not have the answers but I can guarantee that my son will have both parents involved in his schooling and education. To do less for my children will be shortchanging their education and that does nobody any good.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

I agree, Ruff….

But if we can’t hold parents responsible, how can we hold anyone else responsible? I didn’t have that child – why should the majority of the responsibility fall to me?

I do believe that part of the problem is that it has become too easy to fall into the “the government will bail me out” mentality. If it wasn’t so easy to get handouts for being a 16 year old single mom, maybe instead of becoming the 22 year old with 4 kids, that person will look for other options. I’m not saying that people don’t need assistance. I am saying that I see too much of that assistance being chosen as the first option, not the last option.

You are right – how do we penalize parents? We can’t penalize the child – they are the innocent victim in the situation.

I think as a society, we do have to be more vocal about what is best for children, and part of that is not promoting dreck like “Teen Moms” or “Who Da Baby Daddy (Maury Povich)” on television. We need to change social services funding so that low or no income parents don’t just receive money to care for their children – perhaps they can get free daycare so they can go to school to gain better employment, or some other method of giving them a hand up, not just a handout.

Parents have no true vested interest in making their kids succeed because the truth is that it truly doesn't affect them the parent.

Really? As you know, I am not a parent (not by choice), but do the majority of parents really not care if their kids succeed? Or am I just reading too much into this? How can it not affect the parent? Is there no pride in ensuring that your children, your family, is successful? Maybe that is the root of the problem – a complete lack of personal pride in success and a job well done.

Let`s go back to the OP….. I think the same thing applies in that situation. Rather than blaming race, or “I didn’t get the same benefits as someone else,” I do think people need to be more responsible for their own actions, and their own success, instead of blaming their failures on someone or something else. Take some pride in overcoming adversity and succeed despite the odds; be a positive example to others, rather than using excuses to justify failure.

I agree, Ruff….

But if we can't hold parents responsible, how can we hold anyone else responsible? I didn't have that child – why should the majority of the responsibility fall to me?

I do believe that part of the problem is that it has become too easy to fall into the "the government will bail me out" mentality. If it wasn't so easy to get handouts for being a 16 year old single mom, maybe instead of becoming the 22 year old with 4 kids, that person will look for other options. I'm not saying that people don't need assistance. I am saying that I see too much of that assistance being chosen as the first option, not the last option.

You are right – how do we penalize parents? We can't penalize the child – they are the innocent victim in the situation.

I think as a society, we do have to be more vocal about what is best for children, and part of that is not promoting dreck like "Teen Moms" or "Who Da Baby Daddy (Maury Povich)" on television. We need to change social services funding so that low or no income parents don't just receive money to care for their children – perhaps they can get free daycare so they can go to school to gain better employment, or some other method of giving them a hand up, not just a handout.

Really? As you know, I am not a parent (not by choice), but do the majority of parents really not care if their kids succeed? Or am I just reading too much into this? How can it not affect the parent? Is there no pride in ensuring that your children, your family, is successful? Maybe that is the root of the problem – a complete lack of personal pride in success and a job well done.

Let`s go back to the OP….. I think the same thing applies in that situation. Rather than blaming race, or "I didn't get the same benefits as someone else," I do think people need to be more responsible for their own actions, and their own success, instead of blaming their failures on someone or something else. Take some pride in overcoming adversity and succeed despite the odds; be a positive example to others, rather than using excuses to justify failure.

Agreed here- all good points. Remember the old saying "40 acres and a mule"? Notice that is says nothing about guaranteeing a good crop yield, good weather to grow, or good prices to sell your product. We now not only EXPECT, but DEMAND positive results for everything we do. If things do not go exactly per plan, we need to blame someone else and/or require the government to bail us out from our predicament- particularly when we make bad choices- sometimes for generations.

Now I am all for a safety net to account for unforeseen circumstances, but that safety net has turned into the world's largest circus tent. It has become far easier to play the victim card than to work.

The problem with the issue of "bad parenting" is that no 2 parents are the same, and no 2 kids are the same. That means there is no universal template to raise a child, but I think there are certain commonalities we can all agree on. Encourage the kids to stay in school, encourage them to become engaged in their education, encourage them to take responsibility for their actions, and encourage them to work hard at whatever they do. Most of all, stay involved in their lives- YOU are responsible for your children- not the school, not the teacher, and especially not the "village". Too often, that "village" is actually at the root of their problems.

Teach them by example- either yours, or another positive role model. Those things alone would solve a whole bunch of problems.

We need to get past the notion of social engineering and simply throwing money at problems. Unless someone is suggesting that only those with money can be properly raise kids, all the programs and money in the world will still not turn a bad parent into a good one.

When I went to renew my drivers license, under race, it had like three or four choice; and then other. So, I wrote human. They made me do a new form, and check off white, because "while that's funny, it's not acceptable".

For sex, I wrote, "Yes, please?"

Had to rewrite mine, too.

Well since I don't have sex with black women or chinese women I'm already a racist so what's one more thing that will get me the racist tag.

Before dating Lady J, I never felt attracted to any particular black or Chinese woman, and none of them seemed interested in me. Besides, they were already married, or had boyfriends, and in a few cases, they had girlfriends to exclusion of anyone else.

On the FYI, my hyphenate is American born of German-Polish-Russian background reform movement Jew, Lady J's is American born of Sicilian-Italian background Roman Catholic.

Racist?

http://www.ltgov.bc.ca/ltgov/biography.htm

OK I agree with all of the it the parents responsibility to raise their children to be respectful, responsible additions to society. I did this as a parent and I am tremendously proud of all my 3 boys. I have told them all of their lives "I don't care if you are a ditch digger as long as you are a good person" (no offence to ditch diggers). My husband and I had rules and they were to be followed or there would be consiquences. In our community our High school always places close to last in some stupid list for the BC government and alot of people commplain how horrible the school is. I have always defended the teachers (as no how useless some of the parents are)and it is very true that if a child has no interest in learning, they are not going to. Case in point oldest quit school grade 11, did both grade 11 and 12 in one year and graduated with a b average, he is now the forman for a construction company. Middle child quit school in grade 10 did not go back, he hated school and now has a full time job with a demolition company. Last one graduated with a c+ average is now in collage, now this collage reuires 80% in all classes to pass. He did badly on a term exam 78% but for some reason the teacher lowered the bar for him or gave him 2% more. Now did they do that because he is an First Nations student, I sure as hell hope not. He also feels pretty down and will make that extra effort and I think that is the key is the fact that he saw his own failure didnt blame anyone else for it and recognised that he had to try harder as he understands how much money this is costing his parents. Teachers and the community are only tools in raising our children us as parents are the one responsible for our childre.

Now as far as the artical I have posted above. This man is a very good example of where it becomes the childs responsibility for their own destiny. Judge Point use to come here for court and he never let anyone get away with anything just because they are native. My freind was the court clerk in one of his postings when there was a case involving two young men that were committing serious crimes. Judge point listened to them whine and cry around about how their parents were alcoholics, abusive ect. When they were finished this is what he said to them

My parents were alcoholics

My parents were abusive

My parents never gave anything towards my education

And then he said there is a time in a PERSONS life that they need to take responsibilty for their own actions and being native is not an excuse for bad behaviour.

He is now our LT Govenor General

Now with all of that stuff with in each racial group there is also racisum. When my husband was growing up here because his family didnt live on reserve he wasnt concidered indian enough, and because his mother was native he wasnt considered white enough. Also there is the clan issue, he is from a clan that works hard and is very well known in the community, the ones who want to sit on their asses and collect social assistance will go to him and call "white boy" ect.

There is so many types of racisum in our world, it's just not a topic that will go away as when we solve one issue another group will call the rasist card and it will always be one revolving door.

All we can do is be responsible for ourselves in the end. My racisum is "I cant stand people that have NO Common sense" and I have no time for them at all.

The Dayton police department have agreed to lower the passing score for the police officer exam because not enough blacks passed the test.

Getting back on topic and perspective in this present snapshot in time on the verge of a nuclear melt down and world wide catastrophe .

Insert: The Japanese Nuclear Utilities officials have agreed to lower the passing score for the nuclear physicist's exam because not enough "chartreuse people" passed the test.

Hiring criteria based on "ethnicity, colour, sex, religion " is not only counter-productive to any society it defines racism.

cheers

40 Acres and a mule would have been a nice thought (being sarcastic; thats a fair exchange for destroying families, beating men, raping our children; yes that sounds about fair doesnt it ??), but if you studied your history, you will find it was an "empty promise" that was never delivered:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40_acres_and_a_mule

Look how upset you are over a promotional/entrance exam that none of you were involved in, put yourself in a slave's shoes for a day(oh forgot, didnt have shoes).

40 Acres and a mule would have been a nice thought (being sarcastic; thats a fair exchange for destroying families, beating men, raping our children; yes that sounds about fair doesnt it ??), but if you studied your history, you will find it was an "empty promise" that was never delivered:

Look how upset you are over a promotional/entrance exam that none of you were involved in, put yourself in a slave's shoes for a day(oh forgot, didnt have shoes).

http://www.wblrd.sk.ca/~avonlea2/grass3/grade56/lifekg.htm

It wasnt only white people that kept slaves. And so you know these slaves ended up under the Burial Pole when their master died, Alive. And Below is very interesting also.

http://www.british-israel.ca/Slavery.htm

I would respect your opinion if you would be open-minded enough to realize that blacks weren't the only people ever enslaved in the world. Get over it - blacks are not the only people ever mistreated or held as slaves; they were not the only people who ever ever forced to leave their homes, their countries, and had everything taken away from them. This has been brought up in numerous other threads, and not once have I ever seen you acknowledge that other races have also been mistreated, sometimes for centuries. If you would like, I could prepare a lengthy response, including numerous references to support this.

The whole "put yourself in a slave's shoes" comment - I get very very tired of your position that only blacks suffered in this fashion. I have my grandparent's wedding photo when they were escaping from Russia - no shoes, and my grandmother's head was shaved as she supposedly had lice. They were slaves in Russia... they were beaten, my grandmother was raped, they had family members beaten and killed in front of them. I have relatives who escaped Russia when The Wall came down, who told horrendous stories of having family members dragged out of their homes in the middle of the night, never to bee seen again, of rapes and beatings, of children being taken from their homes, of having all their belongings destroyed... and all these things were happening less than 40 years ago, in far more recent history than black slavery in the US. Get over your self-righteous anger, as you are using it as an excuse for people to get more than they deserve through their own merit.

Of course, I know that my reply here will not change your opinion, as I cannot carry on an open discussion with someone who refuses to look at a bigger picture than the one that he currently holds.

• Like 4