Pest Infestation

FireMedic65

Every October around this time, my parents house got infested with them in MD... we were told that we lived along their flight path south ( dunno if that's just BS or what) but we stopped using that fake spider web stuff for Halloween because the lady bugs would get stuck in them and it upset my mom to see them die lol

• 8 months later...

One of my favorite pest control tricks/products is Silica powder. The stuff works great in places where you think they are coming in (obvious windowsill cracks, etc...) Non toxic to humans, but is major deadly to insects (silica micro-shards rip the crap out of the parts in between the exoskeleton plates and then because it is such a good desiccant sucks the water out of them) Although it may not be the be all and end all, it may stop a few? Might I also suggest a large swarm of 7 year old boys with little glass jars and magnifying glasses?

Might I also suggest a large swarm of 7 year old boys with little glass jars and magnifying glasses?

Unless you are ready to invest in a few gallons of Peanut Butter and Jelly, and a ton of whole wheat bread, that might not be such a good idea either (keep the cleaning supplies at the ready if you do!)

I could probably harvest honey from the vents on the soffit. Not many lady bugs, of course I haven't gone up to the 4th floor in a few months. Bottled CO2 and a shop vac works good, then seal up openings. How do you know where it's open? Cake pan and a red smoke bomb from an army surplus store. Put water in the cake pan, and put the smoke bomb in it.. go outside & take pics. Insist your neighbors NOT call 9-1-1.

Edited by 4c6

They are gone for now.. seems like they are only around in the fall and winter. I try to stay away from pesticides because of my pets. But if worse comes to worse.. I will just keep them locked up for a few hours while I perform genocide on the bugs.

If y9ou don't want to use pesticides, you may find that the glass cleaner Windex works on some hard shell bugs. Every falk, we get an infestation of box elder beetles (also called maple bugs), and spraying Windex around my doors and windows does help keep them out, and kills those that it hits. It is also a little better for your pets too..

I think I watch too much Billy the Exterminator... but for spraying pests, I LOVE pyrethrin based sprays. Natural source compounds from the chrysanthemum flower, you could pretty much drink the stuff and still be fine (not recommended...). It is safe around pets and disrupts the ability of insects to process energy, kills them pretty much instantly. Great stuff for keeping around the house in case of insect invasion.

I think I watch too much Billy the Exterminator...

I LOVE Billy the Exterminator! Maybe FireMedic should give him a call, and then he could be on one of the episodes!