Is Racism Still Alive In EMS

crotchitymedic1986

Have you heard or used the "N" word at work in 2008 ?  

20 members have voted

1. 1.

• yes
    • no
    • only by other African Americans

Typical. That is like Bill Gates saying: they are too poor to eat, why dont they go to the grocery store ?

You have benefited from centuries of your family having the opportunity at education, and you expect the entire AA race to catch up in 20 years. yes some doors were opened in the 60's, but that does not mean every AA had the opportunity in the 60's. Some families are just now sending the first member of their family to college. In case you forgot, most good colleges are rather expensive. Most AA are still subject to having to attend underperforming urban schools throughout the K-12 period, and then you expect them to ace college. Are some AA lazy, and still blaming the white man ? I will admit to that, if you will admit that there are just as many white people holding our race back.

Here is a recent example: http://www.collegerecruiter.com/insightblog/003515.php

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Typical. That is like Bill Gates saying: they are too poor to eat, why dont they go to the grocery store ?

You have benefited from centuries of your family having the opportunity at education, and you expect the entire AA race to catch up in 20 years. yes some doors were opened in the 60's, but that does not mean every AA had the opportunity in the 60's. Some families are just now sending the first member of their family to college. In case you forgot, most good colleges are rather expensive. Most AA are still subject to having to attend underperforming urban schools throughout the K-12 period, and then you expect them to ace college. Are some AA lazy, and still blaming the white man ? I will admit to that, if you will admit that there are just as many white people holding our race back.

Here is a recent example: http://www.collegerecruiter.com/insightblog/003515.php

Actually if they are low income they qualify for grants something my kids do not. If they are in the middle class they qualify for student loans and can work multiple jobs like the rest of us to pay. Race is no excuse not to get an education in this day and age. Actually some of the most educated people I have met were black. One was a very successful doctor whom I was very good friends with and he was born in the 30's. So hey guess what people get education if they really want it. And I know many white familys that have yet to have a family member get to go to college either. So race is not the factor. Yes there is discrimination in all races. I am discriminated against daily as I am one of the few white people in a hispanic border town. So yes discrimination happens but it is not just white people that are bad it is every race.

Heck even amongst same race there is discrimination because the shade of skin color is to light, to dark, hair is blond, hair is to brown, etc. Life is not fair for any of us. And discussions like what you are running with crotch actually lead to people to start believing stereo types. If I did not know better you might be pushing me to develope anti other race attitudes.

I will admit to that, if you will admit that there are just as many white people holding our race back.

Ahh, i see whats going on here, this was never supposed to be a genuine discussion, this thread exists entirely for you to push your righteousness onto other people in these forums.

Look, im sorry you have been on the hard end of descrimination in the past, it sucks and shouldn't happen, but ill let you in aon a little secret. The vast majority of people in here don't care what the color of you skin is. Its like sexual preference, marital status, gender and religion, nobody cares what category you fall in, they just care that your a decent person. But thats not enough for you?? Every single one of your threads has undoubtedly been an attention seeking farce to stroke your own ego, and the fact that no body here really cares what the colour of your skin, or any other persons pisses you off - you WANT special exception here, this time by playing the race card. "Holding my race back" indeed, your attitude holds yourself back.

And we are only interested in one race here, and thats the human race.

CONTENT REMOVED - ADMIN

="crotchitymedic1986"My apologies to the great dust, and thanks for having my back.

I sense sarcasm and disrespect here, as soon as you are challenged in any way.

And although AA in EMS/Fire are a minority,

Got any stats to prove that blanket statement ... ever been to south side Chicago ?

I do not agree that is why there are few in leadership positions,

Is that not reverse discrimination hiring based on color, or sexual orientation maybe ?

especially in the past, when a degree was not required for such positions.

Obviously your talking the US here ? not too many hose monkeys here have a degree in anything.

I find it to be similar to College Football and Pro Ball. African Americans rarely even get a chance to interview for head coach positions. How many african american coaches did U of Tennessee interview before deciding on Kiffen ?

pointless to debate, and OJ didnt do it either ! pfft.

You have to remember that AA did not even have the opportunity to go to college until the 60's, so we are way behind educationally. So as our industry demands a minimum of a BS degree to obtain a leadership position, we will be left further behind.

Ever hear of the NAACP they actually resinded entrance to universitys based on affirmitive action because that actually defined racism .

Crotch ... this one I do agree with this statement:

Are some AA lazy, and still blaming the white man ? I will admit to that.

First off I do NOT even believe you are Black/ AA/ negro .... your just an argumentative bser.

If you will admit that there are just as many white people holding our race back.

Now this does raise my ire ... when will other nationalities immigrating to Canada or aborigionals STOP blaming things our forefathers did, and why am I as a "Canukistanian" being held responsible for history, so when does it end ?

Fact is you are perpetuating it.

You have benefited from centuries of your family having the opportunity at education

Really, quite obvious that you are a very poor historian as well .... ever hear of how the Irish, or Ukranians or Japanese or Chinese were treated ..... when they first landed in North America you hear them bitching ?

But heres the Conclusion ..... WTF has this got to do with a EMS professional discussion forum based on information sharing you have FAILED so bad, you have embarressed yourself beyond belief.

You have single handed pissed off the Majority of senior posters and ones with far greater experiance than yourself so heres a little radio riddle.

Foxtrot, Uniform, Charlie, Kilo ... Oscar Oscar Foxtrot.

cheers

WTF has this got to do with a EMS professional discussion forum....

Umm... everything. It is in the "On The Personal Side" area. There is more to life than EMS and we have an area for EMS professionals to talk about these things.

Reminder to everyone... There is a difference between spirited debate and personal attacks. The first is allowed, the second is not.

I have over 20 years of experience as an AA in the EMS field, and your are going to lecture me on race. Walk a mile in my shoes first.

And PS-- my comments towards dust were very sincere, he is one of the few professionals on this site.

And I was not saying the use of the Nword is OK if AA say it. But I asked if you heard or used it at work, and it is possible that you may have heard AA saying it, so I put it in a different category.

And my post are like TV channels, if you dont like what is on, flip to another post, your reading and/or comments are not mandatory for every post. Whenever you see crotchity, move on, especially if all you can do is attack the poster, and not bring any dialog to the debate.

Looks like you need a bit of lecturing to me....

Your poll is designed to be devisive and prove your factual opinion that racism does exist in EMS, but it does not point out hat racism is not exclusive to ems, has higher or lower rates in ems. In fact, by your poll, australian EMS is as racist as it gets, and im a racist as it gets. Do i hate the color of your skin? NO!! ive never even met an african american!

And yeah, it is a bit like a TV show, plenty of shows you just flick it over, but every now and then you come across something like, oh i dont know, Jery Springer, and despite it being trash TV, there is one "guest" making such an ass out of themselves you cant help but watch.

OK, Let us recap:

1. 50/50 on use of the "N" word in your EMS workplace recently.

2. Few African Americans in your company or in leadership positions.

3. No one has invited an AA to dinner.

4. No one has dated or married an AA.

And now you want your only AA kicked off the island --- that sounds about right,

YET THERE IS NO RACISM LEFT IN EMS. GUESS YOU GUYS ARE RIGHT, YOU HAVE PROVEN ME WRONG AGAIN.

Just remember:

Racist in glass Klanrobes, shouldnt throw stones.

Yup your right again idiot... no one here has ever worked with, dated, married or spent time with any minorities. And since its only specific to African Americans that must make you the racist. Also I want to add that quite a few of my supervisors are latino/latina and one is gay...

LEARN TO FU%ING READ!!!!

You know something... reading some of these questions I cant help but wonder the relevance. Yes there are employees of different ethnic backrounds in my work place and I respect them 100% for that. I only judge co-workers based on work performance and team work performance.

Hey crotch... show me some damn facts that not having minorities in the work place automatically makes them racist. And PROVE to me that because someone has not dated or married someone of a different ethnic backround is racist.

FYI Im Irish American, I have dated 2 African Americans, and an Asian American. By the way, Im married to a Mexican American.

But if you really want facts... show me facts that ALL companies without minorities employed and ALL people who havnt dated or married minorities are in fact racist.

(edit): Oh yes by the way Im straight.... and have worked with and gone to school with several homosexual males. I respect them all fully for their choices. This by the way has been at municipal, private and volunteer levels as well as other non-fire/ems related jobs.

I will never deny that discrimination still exists in the work place. But I have never personally seen or experienced it.

ive never even met an african american!

It would be hard to tell one apart from other Americans until you hear, say, the South-African accent, since they come in all different colors. For example, doesn't Dustdevil have African heritage, and isn't that why he favours British spelling?