Tattoos on the job

A lot of us have fought hard to try and make EMS a profession. Someone with tattoos that are exposed do not project professionalism. I for one hate to see it.

I have tats, which are not exposed. I had enough sense in my younger days to think about my future and the effect they would have. I would not even grant an interview, to someone who walked in with tats on their forearms.

You do not see other medical professionals with tats all over. Most hospitals have a policy against them showing. If you want tats all over, then work at the FD, where it is accepted.

Just my .02

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if it's still enforced, but I know at one time to apply for a IL State Trooper position you could not have a tattoo below the elbow. There was an argument at one time that if someone did have a tattoo that low they could wear a long sleeve shirt to cover it. That would mean all year around also.

I finally read all the comments. There was a article by Ludwig on tattoos in a JEMS rag a few months ago. Ironically, I used it to write the policy on tattoos last week. Basically, describing no visible tattoos while wearing a standard uniform, if there is, they must be covered at all times. Period. Further, no new tattoos must be received that can be visible or regarded as tasteless with sexual content or politically motivated.

Sure you have all the right to demonstrate your artistic right, freedom of speech .. on your time. While you are employed you are representing the company, not just yourself. The company is servicing the public and you are just providing the function (saving lives) of that company. Part of that profession or job is public image. The same as wearing the official uniform, keeping it clean, starched, and shoes shined. The same if someone that has poor hygiene and refuses to care for themselves describing it is their religion, artistic right not to bathe. If I wanted you to wear pink uniform shirts with yellow bow ties, so be it. You have a choice. Follow the guidelines and work at that employers or move on.

Remember, employers have rights as well. The right to only employ those that want to present themselves in regards to my customers/clients. Those are the ones that we serve, they pay our bills, and whom we are there for.

Remember, you are really there for the patient.. not that the patient is there for you!

R/r 911

After reading all the comments on this topic, I feel compelled to wade in and offer my two cents worth of commentary.

Let me preface this by admitting that I have one tattoo, and am looking at eventually getting a second one. The one I have already is on my upper left arm, and is adequately covered when in a short sleeve uniform shirt.

I’ve seen the comments range from ‘patient comfort’ to ‘right to self expression’ and ‘in the name of professionalism’ to name a few reference points. I’ve also seen the term ‘common sense says’.

EMS is a field that isn’t readily recognized as a ‘profession’, and coming to work with tattoos that are visible isn’t a good way to becoming recognized as a profession/professional.

Yes, you have the right to ‘self expression’, but in the name of ‘professionalism’, there must be a concession of that ‘right to self expression’. Knowing that there may be some people that will look down on the tattooed healthcare provider as being ‘unprofessional’ (and maybe even downright ‘scary’), it is the RESPONSIBILITY of the tattooed healthcare provider to take steps to put the patient at ease, and take steps to have the patient feel they’re in the best hands they could possibly hope for! If this means covering up your tattoos, then so be it!

This isn’t a matter of who’s rights ‘trump’ who’s rights, it’s a matter of ‘common decency’ and taking steps to present yourself as a knowledgeable, compassionate and competent professional.

As long as there are different viewpoints on any subject known to man, there will ALWAYS be ‘prejudices’. It is the PROFESSIONAL that takes the appropriate steps to eliminate those prejudices, or at least not be the ‘target’ of them.

If being a ‘professional’ means I have to either take out any and all body piercings, covering my tattoos, and keeping hair up off the collar and ears; then so be it! I think it’s a small price to pay, to be perceived as the professional that I am.

Since you are acting as an agent for your employer, (by wearing the company uniform, dressing within the company guidelines for a dress code), and providing the services that they are selling; then the employer has the right to dictate what guidelines he/she may deem ‘appropriate’, to ensure the image he/she wants to project of their company. As an employee, it’s your responsibility to conform to those dictates, or resign your position and move on.

You must ask yourself one important question at this point: how many of those people with the multiple facial piercings, exposed tattoos and ‘unique hair styles’ do you REALLY see in ‘professional positions’?

It’s not surprising that you DON’T find them in the ‘professional areas’ within a company. They are not projecting a good image for any company! You’ll find most of these ‘social abnormalities’ working in menial jobs that don’t require a high level of customer interaction, because they do NOT project an image that the general public is comfortable with!

When its all said and done, this is our generation, just like all of you who are older did stuff looked down on by the public, we do things looked down upon by you. But the realization is, we are the people giving the care for the next 25 years, while everyone elses careers are winding down.

I hate to say it Boeing, but that is an arrogant and self centered comment! Just because a segment of society finds things more ‘acceptable’ than the general population as a whole, it doesn’t mean that the criteria of what makes a ‘professional’ should be altered, just to accommodate those ‘broader views’.

Letmesleep......I do not know of any research. There is no evidence I have seen that shows that tattoos are good or bad. From personal experience, which is all I have to rely on, I have never known any person or patient to have adverse reactions to someone who has a tattoo. I have known countless people to think tattoos are done in bad taste, but never a one to have a life altering reaction to a tattoo.

Reaper.......Tattoos do not make us any less of a professional. What makes us a professional is our craft, which is to deliver medical care. Our education standards are what holds us back, not tattoos.

RidRyder......We are there for the patients, as well as they are there for us, for without them, there would be no us. We need them to keep us in business. :wink:

Letmesleep......I do not know of any research. There is no evidence I have seen that shows that tattoos are good or bad. From personal experience, which is all I have to rely on, I have never known any person or patient to have adverse reactions to someone who has a tattoo. I have known countless people to think tattoos are done in bad taste, but never a one to have a life altering reaction to a tattoo.

Reaper.......Tattoos do not make us any less of a professional. What makes us a professional is our craft, which is to deliver medical care. Our education standards are what holds us back, not tattoos.

RidRyder......We are there for the patients, as well as they are there for us, for without them, there would be no us. We need them to keep us in business. :wink:

You keep that train of thought going. I can see you will go far in this profession! :roll:

You keep that train of thought going. I can see you will go far in this profession! :roll:

Exactly what do you mean?

I do not know why you think I can not handle this profession, it really is not that difficult to do.

Exactly what do you mean?

I do not know why you think I can not handle this profession, it really is not that difficult to do.

The problem I have with you is you put your personal preferences above that of your patients by your statements. It is hard to consider someone a professional that maintains such an attitude.

As to not difficult you must not work where you are required to use any real medical education.

We are not trying to pick on you. We are trying to get you to understand that the feelings of our patients are what we should focus on.

I would not hire anyone I knew to have tattoos.

I would fire anyone who I found to have tatoos.

I would kill anyone who tried to sue me for firing them.

Any questions?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.