Tattoos on the job

I will preface this with the information that I myself have five tattoos, none of which are visible in uniform.

About a year ago my partner and I got called to a 70ish y/o complaining of chest pain. When we got there the pt saw my partner with a few tattoos showing and changed his mind. He kept saying he was better and wouldn't allow us to do anything for him. He wasn't rude but he was very insistant about us not being in his home. Roughly about 2 hours after the pt's informed refusal we got another call to that residence. The pt was circling the drain now and we took him in. The wife rode with in the front to the ER and en route she told me that he had mentioned something about the "damn punks" trying to help and that he was referring to my partner due to his tattoos.

I actually believe tattoos should be covered for now until it becomes more accepted by the majority of your pt's. Lets just call it another 10-15 years.

We are taught to make a rapid first impression on our pt. Their appearance, posture, breathing, etc tells us many things. Likewise, our pt's will create a quick first impression of us and our abilities based on what they have available to them.... Our appearance.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked for a few years in a Jewish cemetary and the owners were both concentration camp survivors with the "tattoos" to prove it. I personally hope no one ever has to really "know" what they experienced in those camps...that's a part of our history that should be not be forgotten, but should never be experienced by anyone again.

In regards to tats; do whatever you will with your body. Just don't be surprised if someone is a bit taken aback by your flaming dragon tattoo on your forehead. :D

Again, it is all about common sense! I work with a large guy who has issues with his thyroid, and has for most of his life. He has continued to struggle with his weight throughout the years, but is an awesome medic with a lot to share (with his Pts and us). My point in telling this story (short as it may be) is that one of his issues that he deals with is the........how should I say this? Plummers crack, yea! He said that years ago when he was getting started in the field (doing ride-a-longs) that he was getting negative reviews about his appearance. He now purchases his own uniforms, and gets the extra long shirts to tuck them in very well so his ass doesn't hang out on calls.

We all have something about us that is going to found.....less than appealing to another at some point in time. The trick is to use your common sense to maintain Pt confidence. If a Pt doesn't feel like your going to be able to help because you have tattoos hanging out of your shirt, you might want to consider some means of cover up while at work. I'm not one to judge others based on "looks" alone, but I am only me, and that is the only person I can control. Get your tats, but when you have "Dr Death" written on your forearms, don't be surprised when your Pts find issue with you. We are trained to use our heads, so use them, even when your putting on that uniform and getting ready for work..............

common sense!

I can not believe this is even an issue. Heck many fast food places require all tats covered. In our business much of what we do that benefits our patients requires they be relaxed around us. If patients are thinking you are not professional or worse that you are there to rob them because of your tats do you really think they will talk freely with you? How hard is it for those that choose tats to where long sleeves or to get tats that are covered by uniform? Yes you have the right to have one if you want to, but don't throw a fit when some look at you as a thug. Yes they are getting more common and when we are all old we may be offended if our professionals don't have tats, but that day aint today.

And please don't give me the well this patient was all into my tats. Yes there are some but there are still more that think your scum if you have a tat.

There seems to be an awful lot of "I don't care..." and "who cares what others thinks..." going on in this thread.

Unfortunately, that's the wrong approach.

Once again, this isn't about us. It's not what we think. It's not what we want for ourselves. This is all about our patients. Our patients are the purpose of our job. We MUST care what they think. We MUST make the effort to make them feel more comfortable. We MUST put our personal beliefs, feelings and biases aside for their benefit.

Tats are just another example of that. Despite their increasing popularity and social acceptance, there are many, many, many people out there who view those who wear tats as thugs, punks, criminals or worse. Are these knee jerk reactions and stereotyping? Absolutely. Does everyone who has ink fit this description? Absolutely not.

However, that being said, many of the people we treat aren't in the position, nor do they really want at that time, to engage in debate that their beliefs/biases are wrong. They want to feel better and they want to think that the people sent to help them feel better can be trusted. For them, walking in with visible tattoos doesn't instill a whole lot of confidence.

If you want a tattoo, there's nothing saying you can't have one (unless your organization has a specific policy prohibiting them which is not uncommon). But as has been mentioned, use some common sense. Not everyone is as free spirited or liberated in thought to think that they're fine and harmless. Not everyone views them as art. And it's what *they* think in these instances that matters.

It's not about us, guys. As much as it pains us to think otherwise, it's true. We need to start thinking that way.

-be safe

So much has been said about, we need to do this for our pt's and we need to do that, and my favorite, they'll think were going to rob them or that were scum.

I dont remember being told in school, that your whole entire life has to change so that you are viewed in a certain way. And with that said, i'd love to see the person who can make themselves up so that every possibl pt contact they will have, will view them in a good light.

You want to know who is going to view you as a good person, the people that dont judge books by their covers. I have met many people who have judged me right off the bat, why?, because im a big guy and my usual look is one of a mean person, then I say a few words to them and they instantly loosen up, why? because im professional, and when appropriate can give them a laugh or two, to ease their mind, or just listen to what they have to say. I dont care what people think of me, I do the right thing, I have a family a house and blah blah blah. I am a responsible adult who took it upon myself to go through school and learn what it takes to save a persons life, or atleast get them to a better place in life than they were 15 minutes ago.

Everyone is going to judge you, whether its by your hair,car,shoes,house,tattoos,pay scale, whatever.

It is not our "job" to conform to what everyone thinks we should look at, it is our "job" to constantly study,and train, and learn,and practice, and do everything in our power to do the best and be the best we can.

And though I saw a few things about piercings, this was for tattoos.

Good points boe,

But how can we stop at that? In my mind the tattoo stereotype is based on motorcycle gangs (correct if i'm wrong), that stereotype also includes leather, untrimmed facial hair, and metal (chains, piercings).

I may be wrong about this but I believe the people who still have the stereotypes are the older people in our community who saw nothing but bad come out of the people who wore them. How can we now say tattoo's are ok because it is just an expression of oneself and no longer carries the bad a$$ stigma, but not say the same thing for piercings?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.