Tattoos on the job

Maybe this has been covered maybe not, either way there are new people on this site who may have a new perspective on it.

With that said, how do you all feel about people having tattoos showing, such as the arms being sleeved, or a back tattoo that you can see the top of it above your collar.

I dont mean trash tattoos that look they were done in prison, I mean nice work, the person who does my tattoos is a world known artist with top notch work, my tattoos are in a few different magazines, and on a couple websites, their not crappy work.

I work in Florida as many know, and we are almost entirely a Fire/Rescue state, and one thing you'll find here is this is a big state for tattoos, all walks of life have them here, from firefighters to judges with full body suits.

I understand that alot of people look at people with tattoos in a negative light, but the question is, how do you look at them. The people dont concern me as much being that when im there in their home doing everything I can to fix their immediate problems, and potential oncoming problems, they dont worry about whats on my arms, chest or back.

I would appreciate some real answers here.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

honestly, boe, I could care less whether my partner has a tattoo or not. As long as they can take care of a patient and I trust them then more power to them.

You have to consider how the patient's perceive them though, that's the reason for the rules against tattoos I think.

But personally, I don't care if they have tatt's.

Boe, I'm not sure what your issue is then? What real answers are you wanting?

That its ok for you to have tatts? Or are you wanting answers to how to deal with patients who have issues with your tattoos?

Every agency is different.... Our local agencies (I'm from the midwest) don't allow visible tatto's or piercing other than the ears (traditional for women, one ear piercings for men). I think for us it is a combination of things... firstly, the protocols were written in the early 80's, secondly, we serve a very large retirement area, who are deeply religious (not saying that those with "ink" aren't religious, just stating that our retiree's wouldn't look kindly on it).

With that said... I'm with ruff on this one.. I don't care if you look like Frankenstein as long as you provide good quality patient care, while keeping good customer service.

Jo

I dont mean trash tattoos that look they were done in prison, I mean nice work...

You mean there are tattoos that don't look like trash? Sorry, I missed the memo. :) (I'm only kidding!)

Where I work, corporate policy is that they are not visible. Likewise, no facial hair below the upper lip, and no piercings except for earings in females. It's not enforced as strictly as it is written.

Interesting…. When it is a noob that posts something that has been covered numerous times, they get the “use the search function” response.

http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.ph...ghlight=#177706

When it is someone who has been here a while, they don’t…. just an observation…..

There have been several threads regarding tattoos:

http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.ph...ighlight=tattoo

http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.ph...ighlight=tattoo

However, as it is a topic that gets a lot of attention, and boe makes a valid point that there are probably new people who haven’t read the previous threads.

I agree with Ruff – I don’t care what your tatts are if you are doing a good job.

There are services that require all tatts to be hidden while on duty, and this should be taken into consideration when you get your tatt, or when you are applying for a job at a specific service.

Some people take offense to visible tatts, although tatts are much more socially acceptable than they were 10 or 20 years ago.

I agree with boe – a well done tatt is a work of art, but you should be checking what the regulations in your service are so that you are able to follow them.

Ok Ruff,

Maybe I wasnt clear enough, first I will respond, I dont care what the pt's think of their providers choice of body modification, nor do I need anyone to tell me what is ok. In this state in the majority of our fire dept you can have any tattoo anywhere, you want.

I wanted to know what "You all" thought, not protocols or citizens or rules or what have you.

[quote="boeingb13"Ok Ruff,

Maybe I wasnt clear enough, first I will respond, I dont care what the pt's think of their providers choice of body modification, nor do I need anyone to tell me what is ok. In this state in the majority of our fire dept you can have any tattoo anywhere, you want.

I wanted to know what "You all" thought, not protocols or citizens or rules or what have you.

I think this answered his personal take on tatt's bo

My thoughts are this to each his own I am no one's judge. I know its something I choose not to have but if others want them then its their bodies they may do with them as they wish.

honestly, boe, I could care less whether my partner has a tattoo or not. As long as they can take care of a patient and I trust them then more power to them.

You have to consider how the patient's perceive them though, that's the reason for the rules against tattoos I think.

But personally, I don't care if they have tatt's.

I'm pretty much the same way. In the mid 80's had one guy that looked just like that guy on "Fast Times at Ridgemont High", Jeff Spacolli that was played by Sean Penn, working with me. Some of the guys sort of steered away from working with him. But he was one of the best EMT-A's I worked with. He was right on top of things. Really good common sense. And was great with patients, especially the elderly.

So if someone who doesn't appear to look like what society thinks they should look, whether long hair, tatts, etc....don't knock 'em.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.