Tattoos on the job

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly Spenac, where I work it is not required to use medical education, but I do ! :shock:

Our patient's are important. I have never said that they are not.

My problem is that people are getting worked up over a tattoo affecting a patient. Everyone here is assuming that they will get worked up, bent out of shape, and code in front of you if they happen to see your tattoo. Numerous people have tattoos, and a majority of the persons have a good appearance. They do not strike me as cut throat, thug, killer or anything else you want to make them out to be. We are talking about people who are wearing a uniform shirt, black pants, and a hat. All that is showing is the head/neck, and the arms. I am sure there are people who feel uncomfortable around tattoos, but to have someone make a turn for the worse is unheard of, IMO. (of course now that I say that, someone is sure to find something to discredit it, or just make more personal attacks :roll: )

I believe that with a professional attitude, being a compassionate provider, and having medical competence, we can put our patient's at ease and help them to feel better. If a provider cannot calm a patient, and make them feel more comfortable with what I previously said because there is a visible tattoo, then the patient has other problems, such as they may have

Your company policy is something they have set up. I agree, if it is their policy, you can try and fight it, but the end solution may be that you are not a fit for that company. That is the company prerogative, I was under the assumption that this was just a general discussion, in general about tattoos, and being an EMS provider.

This is basically the same argument that says I am a bad person if I don't date fat, ugly women with bad teeth who have great personalities.

It's bogus.

The American Revolution was fought and won over our right to no longer date fat, ugly women with bad teeth.

He's back! Welcome back, arsehole! :lol: Missed you!!

And I believe that having a tattoo on your person, if hidden by your uniform, is your business and your business alone. If it becomes visible, and you work for a no tattoo company, then you better either get it removed or get another job...

What're ya gonna do, Dust? Have everyone strip so you can see if they've got a tiny tattoo above their buttcrack?

:D

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Ah! But it is in fact a piercing... not a normal lady's ear piercing either. So... since they have it, but it doesn't show, should they be fired? :D

Wendy

CO EMT-B

And I believe that having a tattoo on your person, if hidden by your uniform, is your business and your business alone.

Slightly off topic but I know of an EMS agency that says female employees cant wear thongs. I mean, I get the basic idea of it but if your uniform is that unkept that your butt is hanging out then at that point the underwear style isnt all that matters. My point is though, its not something youd know unless you check. And Id see a big issue with checking underwear of employees. :twisted:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.