Tattoos on the job

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be so tempted to stir the pot on that one...

If I did wear underwear, I would ensure I had some thongs and I would make sure others knew about it "accidentally", but I am one of those that does that sort of thing.

I hate rules that have no logic or are full of double standard, whichever way it may swing.

That's more info than I wanted to know.

My boss at a private serv. I worked for would probably have insisted women to wear thongs, and he'd check daily.

Geeze guys, chill. They tell us on day one of orientation in Iraq that the Muslims consider underwear a sign of disrespect, so we can't wear it.

It's liberating, actually. Most of us grow to love it!

To bring the thread back to track...

Tattoos are simple really.

1. I dont care about the employer opinion.

2. I dont care about others opinions.

3. I dont even care about my own opinion.

That said...this rant will go past tattoos, and im sorry ahead of time for that.

The public has a pre established notion of the EMS industry. Sadly, our biggest issues is that unlike the law enforcement or fire services, everyone has a different viewpoint and pre established noption of what we should look like.

However, any variance from that notion will give the patients we serve a poor outlook for the entire call. They will begin to question our ability, our knowledge, and most importantly, our competence in performing the service they called us for.

Patients tend to expect this short list from EMS when summoned.

Uniform: Broken down, that means, single form. Matching pants, shits, jackets, gloves, belts, and undershirts.

Appearance: Clean cut. No visible tattoos. Take off your oakleys when you walk in their house. You look dumb. Seriously. No piercings or other visible accoutriments (sp). Earrings ok for women if small in size.

Smell: Wash off the cheap perfume from last nights trip to the local "lap dancing balliet". They dont want you to have a smell. If you smoke, keep it to a bare minumum ( a rule i violate)

Presentation: introduce yourself. Be polite. English please, drop the ebonics, yo.

For the most part, this is the simple expectation of most patients. Dont bring these to the table, and some patients may question you, and your ability. Tattoos are on the list.

(/endrant)

I have a tattoo which can be hid. Personally I wouldnt care if they had a tattoo or not, as long as you can do the job.

My tattoo I designed myself. I am a woman so people over her might think its not a good look for a woman but at the same time people shouldnt judge you.

I have seen bad tattoos and good ones. One bad one I saw was on my mates hand I thought it was when you write on your hand with pen but it was not straight.

Anyway it shouldnt be a problem.

Smith

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.