Alberta takes a step forward.

** Labour leaders in Alberta are up in arms over a suggestion the government’s decision to declare EMS an essential service could spark violence. The CBC (June 3) quoted Alberta Federation of Labour president Gill McGowan as saying the slap in the face legislation removing the right to strike could, however, bring protests. Expected to be passed into law next week, the statute’s other provisions are also provoking ire. Along with impeding unions from topping up unionized contract bids for those competing against non-union firms, the bill also takes steps to prevent questionable tactics aimed at unionizing companies.

Just a tad alarmist don't you think ? I just can not fathom as a reality with this statement by AFoL leader Gill Mcgowan.

Mind you EMS workers in the major communities do have vests and have sharp scissors, IV catheters and syringes.

Funny thought too as if EMS workers armed with a stretcher can not access just about any where they wish in the first place .... just saying.

Or perhaps Gill just shot HIMSELF in the foot is all.

I think the suggested "violence" may just be between the different unions vying for ... yup you guessed it, more members ?

cheers

Interesting situation.

I am torn on the subject for now. It has/is working in other provinces to varying degrees.

Will be interesting how this changes schooling, protocols, ACoP etc....

Should be entertaining to watch how they deal with the oilpatch medicine side of the issue as well.

Time will tell.

Sleep

Interestingly enough, in Ontario where a strike is legal, and has happened, those areas are doing their best to get binding arbitration, in the hopes that an arbitrator will give them what City Councils won't. And they are probably right in that assumption, given the history of Fire and Police awards. There is obviously the moral factor of public safety organizations not withdrawing services involved as well, and individual medics who don't want to leave their friends and family unprotected. (not to mention that a 2 week strike will chew up a 4% pay increase)

As they say, "intelligent people can legitimately disagree".

• 2 months later...
Oops I think someone's opened pandora's box a little to soon.

Why I say this is, the hard cold facts of the issues are never a solved problem, even with the high cost of living here in Calgary.

If you think your ER is in bad straights, and you think non-positive attitude, then the world is a never ending chaos. :roll:

Do we really need people in Parliment running Canada, and us?

Heck no they should go!

That's just my opinon.

What the heck are you talking about Wendy? Non positive attitude? Whenver I enter an ER where I work, I always go in thinking hmm, perhaps the staff won't take advantage of us and expect us to watch THEIR patients. Hmm, maybe they'll realize it's actually against currnent legislation for a prehospital care provider to practice within hospital walls ... And the last thing I want is to go out of town to back up some rural crew when it's not where I work ...

I for one am not optimistic on these changes ... the only thing that I've heard which is appealing is the fact we're finally being deemed an essential service.

6echo, you have to admit these changes are in the best interest of our patients.

I guess that tells us why your in EMS :roll:

Be sure to call the superboard and complain that you don't want to leave city limits, and the rural patients have to wait till thier local ambulances get back because you don't "want" to go.

Sorry if I sound hostile but you really sound like a burned out spoiled brat! Perhaps you should work for what's best for the patient instead of what's most convienient for you.

... And the last thing I want is to go out of town to back up some rural crew when it's not where I work ....

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Although I have some reservations regarding the superboards, this comment caught me completely off guard. Is your concern that your region may make you do shifts at another centre which may not be in the city or town you are currently in? Or do you just not want to cover for a rural crew... you may be more than 10 minutes away from a Tim Hortons....

I'm siding with mobey on this one - that comment makes you look like you aren't a team player, and that your focus is not on your patients.

It may sound nice on paper but unless they bring some people with actual field experience into the decision-making process, this may end up being a huge step backwards.

I don't see it as a step back, I see potenial for this service as a huge outcome, where as you see and it's your opinion, some integrity for them to lose sight of it's true aspect.

That will be interesting to see once its actually well under way. They had an article in the newspaper last week about the service here. If they can actually get it to work together well, it should work out better than before but shall see.

Going to be some confusion with all this.

• 4 weeks later...

Members of the Edmonton paramedic union will be on a fact finding mission to central and southern alberta begining in the first week of october, We will be bringing all current transition information to date. We will also be looking to talk to any non-union services that want info on unionization. This is a program to build one paramedic union that represents all members of the province. if you have an interest, please feel free to contact me at map461@shaw.ca or call me at 780-862-8376. Its your future, be part of it

mike

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.