Alberta takes a step forward.

Government moving ambulance services under Alberta's health system

New model reconciles governance and funding, integrate ground emergency services with health care providers

Edmonton... In a move designed to improve patient care, accountability, and efficiency, government will transfer responsibility for ground ambulance services from municipalities to the new provincial health authority. The transition will take full effect April 1, 2009.

“EMS practitioners are highly trained health care professionals providing front line care and saving lives,” said Health and Wellness Minister Ron Liepert. “They rightfully belong in the health care system as first responders to medical emergencies.”

The decision is based on extensive study done recently by an MLA committee, departmental review, discovery projects, and review of those projects by an independent third party analyst.

As well, over the past ten years a series of reports, consultations and discussions have taken place around the province on this topic. They have all generally reached the same conclusion - Emergency Medical Service (EMS) is health care, and therefore the governance and funding belong in the health system.

“This is an excellent example of what I’ve spoken of before - some of these things have been studied to death, and it’s time to take decisive action,” Liepert said. “Ambulance service is health care and as such should be part of the health system. This just makes sense. We will increase funding and provide leadership to ensure the transition is as seamless as possible.”

In preparation for the formal transfer of operational roles and responsibilities, Alberta Health and Wellness has prepared transition materials as a principal guide for the new provincial health authority to move to a fully integrated ground EMS.

Alberta is striving for a comprehensive, seamless, fully integrated health system. Repeatedly, previous research concluded and recommended that EMS should be structured and managed as an integral component of the health care system and that the services should be coordinated to be better able to address the geographic and demographic differences that exist throughout the rural and urban areas of the province.

The new provincial health authority will have the flexibility to either provide services directly, or they may establish agreements with third party providers, but the ultimate responsibility lies within the health care system. Users of ambulance services will continue to pay a portion of the cost. When the transfer of services is complete, the province will cover 90 per cent of total costs, as opposed to 67 per cent covered today.

Once ambulance governance has been transferred to the health system, for consistency purposes EMS practitioners will become an essential service.

This move represents the latest action by government on a series of fundamental reforms outlined in a health action plan released last month. Earlier this month government announced a new governance model for the health system with the creation of the Alberta Health Services Board.

-30-

Backgrounder attached.

May 29, 2008

Facts and statistics on ambulance services

The present ambulance system in Alberta costs $190 million to which the province contributes $128 million. This year, Alberta Health and Wellness will provide additional one time funding of approximately $29 million to support transition activities.

In 2009/2010 enhancements of $27 million will be introduced to increase levels of service with an additional $40 million to replace current municipal funding. Total system costs will be $217 million; which includes $19 million in patient revenue and $3 million from the Government of Canada.

In addition, this year, municipalities will continue to receive $55 million to help offset any costs they incur to ensure services are provided to March 31, 2009. This is the fourth year they have received this grant funding, which was previously unavailable to the municipalities.

More than 80 service providers supply ground ambulance services throughout Alberta. There are an average of about 260,000 trips per year, involving more than 500 ambulances and 3,000 emergency medical services practitioners.

Background studies on responsibility for ambulance services

Over the past ten years a series of reports, consultations and discussions have taken place around the province on the responsibility for ambulance services. They have all generally reached the same conclusion - Emergency Medical Service (EMS) is health care, and therefore the governance and funding belong in the health system.

Previous research and reviews provided by the MLA Review of Ambulance Service Delivery (2003) and the Minister of Health and Wellness’ Ambulance Governance Advisory Council (2006) concluded that EMS should be more focussed on patient care, and that services should be coordinated to be better able to address the geographic and demographic differences that exist throughout the rural and urban areas of the province.

Coupled with this research, the EMS Discovery Projects currently being managed by the Palliser and Peace Country Health Regions provide significant operational knowledge and understanding on how the transfer of services (including inter-professional links) could be achieved. These projects began in April 2005.

-30-

Media enquiries north of Red Deer may be directed to:

Shannon Haggarty, Communications, Alberta Health and Wellness, 780-427-7164, or

Media enquiries in Red Deer and south may be directed to:

Howard May, Communications, Alberta Health and Wellness, 403-660-1870

Alberta Government | News Room | Ministries Listing | Health and Wellness Home Page | News Releases | Top of Page |

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Send us your comments or questions

Copyright(©) 2008 Government of Alberta

Word on the street today is this is the last straw for a LOT of people. It may sound nice on paper but unless they bring some people with actual field experience into the decision-making process, this may end up being a huge step backwards.

I'm very interested to see how they plan on pulling this off.

It may sound nice on paper but unless they bring some people with actual field experience into the decision-making process, this may end up being a huge step backwards.

How so?

Word on the street today is this is the last straw for a LOT of people. It may sound nice on paper but unless they bring some people with actual field experience into the decision-making process, this may end up being a huge step backwards.

I'm very interested to see how they plan on pulling this off.

Totally agreed ME TO!

Just look to history of Government involvement in Health Care "restructuring" Air Ambulance contract's awards for example would be a good start.

The premise is that this will somehow lower costs and reduce wait times for EMS response? Folly plain and simple what about improving the bed availability in the ER ?

A Ten year study to consider "Ambulance" is an essential service ? Hey dood just look in the phone book under 911.

A is for Ambulance its at the top of the list .... Mr. Liepert, I could have saved you a lot of time and wasted money with "those studies" ... sheesh.

Could it be that this Conservative Government and in passing and an true Oligarchy by definition has opened the door to follow the Nova Scotia's lead ? They can punch any legislation through on a whim sooo just farm all EMS operations out to one contractor for the entire province ? .... OMG its going to be a freaken mess I think read the anouncement again with a critical eye for where YOU will now fit into the system, no chance of stricking now and bringing the government to its knees .... like anyone had enough the bollocks before, Calgary totally whimped out when the HAD a chance ... nice try but now we all are restricted to the cost of living ONLY ... pffft !

I remain so very skeptical like really, really so best pick a Good Union and right damn quick with enough clout to represent all EMS workers fairly, just saying this sure changes the picture big time.

AND Rural managers/operators be very, very afraid, I think your all toast, time to get the Jam.

The plan is to eradicate regional managers and make a SUPER stupid Board of Govenors ... please look to the required "quals" to be a Board Member ..... Thanks Ralphy it worked so well in 1993 with that "restructuring"

So just what happens to ACoP now, an arm of Government ? or is it still a viable self directing democracy for the proffession ... like as IF it ever was, was there even a Quarum for the last AGM AND has anyone actually read Bill 41 ?

No rocket science needed for to consider my "non attendance" ... AGM a week prior to sweeping changes and announcements and with a ton of forshadowing by Alberta Health .... I was fishing.

Mobey, I love you man but I believe your idealism is about to be smashed into the Dirt.

no cheer at all.

squinting

It's all speculation at this point. Hopefully the province will see fit to reveal the details of its plan soon.

In Calgary the view of things is a little more optimistic, I guess after being repeatedly boned by the city were willing to give someone else a chance ( risking of course an even bigger boning by the province). The biggest impact will be felt by the rural services, good or bad.

Our area has been served by a regional service run by the Health Authority for a number of years as one of the pilot projects for this. Our rural service seems to have come through intact, and although there have been some growing pains, the final product is no better or worse than what we had in the beginning.

Our area has been served by a regional service run by the Health Authority for a number of years as one of the pilot projects for this. Our rural service seems to have come through intact, and although there have been some growing pains, the final product is no better or worse than what we had in the beginning.

So status quo with level of providers, any squigle room for funding for education ?

It's all speculation at this point. Hopefully the province will see fit to reveal the details of its plan soon.

In Calgary the view of things is a little more optimistic, I guess after being repeatedly boned by the city were willing to give someone else a chance ( risking of course an even bigger boning by the province). The biggest impact will be felt by the rural services, good or bad.

Not acording to union representatives in CowTown and headed into negotiations very soon, just one less tool in the tool box their saying, other commentary regarding who now decides level of care ?

So why would a plan be secret anyway ? I believe there is no real plan at all.

I am still chuckling over the idea that by somehow this will reduced ER waits and quicker release of Trucks to respond when both Calgary and Edmonton have both hired Paramedics to off load to a triage before triage .... meh

Not acording to union representatives in CowTown and headed into negotiations very soon, just one less tool in the tool box their saying, other commentary regarding who now decides level of care ?

What union reps have you been talking to about this? Its not the general impression that I'm getting. There are some emergency union meetings scheduled for next week, so hopefully that will bring some transparency to the issue.

The level of care question is a good one. My cynical side says the government may try to push more BLS units onto services just to save money. Of course there will be more than a little PR backlash if they try to lower the level of care. It would be awesome if they mandated some form of ALS in all parts of the province.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.