Alberta takes a step forward.

The "facts" that we are looking at are, how are unions currently set up throughout alberta, how do they compare to what currently exists in Edmonton/Calgary. important to us is how has transition affected the region of palliser. this region has been in a state of transition for 2-3years now. We recently concluded a trip to Peace regional and found the union to be lacking the paramedic atonomy that we currently hold. Dustdevil if you are interested we have built a power point presentation on our findings and would be more than happy to present it to you. Second to that we are providing information to services about our current local conditions in an attempt to secure a paramedic union provincewide. This might look somthing like the UNA. We would be attached to the larger voice of CUPE, but operate with the needs of EMS providers. Currently BC is under one union for the province. just to give you an example of what kind of strength that holds. The Unions of Edmonton, Calgary and BC paramedics combined to lobby the federal government and secured the right for paramedics Canada wide to have a supplimental pension. I recently returned from a Paramedic convention of CUPE members Canada wide. So, maybe this would be the development of a hybrid between UNA and IAFF. the first step is for all EMS providers to become educated on transition and build a strong future together.

Dust: micpar has a good logical plan, he is informed and has recognised some very important fact's in this transition : a serious FAILURE to communicate with the real EMS workers, as one can observe from a lot of maturity in the previous comments:

Ok so lets LOOK at the facts crunched from the handbook to transition, (albeit from the village idiots helper handbook)

A wonderful theorem, did Walt Disney write this stuff ?

1- So First EMS will be regionalised THEN SuperBoarded ... the superboard has as its primary goal as HEALTH CARE Provincially and very sorry to tell you that EMS being a very small part of that "little" item and budget too. When regional health boards managers are looking elseware (like for a another middle management job) and bitching about their job loss. Do you believe their focus will be on mere transport of the patients ... meh.

This is an exercise in doing the duck walk!

2-annie love you dearly ... but with this "improved utilization concept" .. so your truck could be attempting to find a address in the Hat ... do you feel comfortable with that after a LDT (and no coverage in your community) cause there's no trucks or transfer returns that day?

Do Calgary guys feel comfortable looking for an address on Wolf street in Banff ....

Will Leduc guys (fire based) run a code in MillyWoods ? Anyone following my ramblings its absolutely ludicruis to believe that everyone will have to know huge areas ... put it into perspective.

Edmonton is the Largest Size of a municipality in all of Canada .... it in itself is HUGE .... now send EDM crew to Sherwood Park ..... or St Albert on a possible Crib death ....?

This is the ill conceived "utilization concept" has nothing to do team playing it has everything to do controlling co$ts with a concept that has never been tested.

3- Echo is putting some issues into a very realistic perspective albeit in his own "tenor" And I bet my bottom peso HAS worked dang near everywhere, Mobey PLEASE don't judge a one post as a personal philosophy, get the milk out off the screen yet ? echo has some interesting input to be seriously considered.

4- Wendy T it becomes very obvious that you have never worked for any Government agency as "echo" is trying to point out and from my previous posts on this topic "someone has no idea the difference between the House of Parliament and the Provincial Legislature, reading the entire thread it can help out... so Health Care is going from Regionalization to Centralization (SuperBoard) EMS will first be regionalised THEN to centralization HUH ? I am confused, different plan of action for "now" essential services ? As if we have not been for decades ... this is simply a move to control labour ... HELLO !

This is a promise that will introduce yet another layer of health care administration for at least 10 years .... anyone want to take a bet ?

5- A recient directive from ACoP, so once the patient is delivered to the Hospital ... it now becomes THEIR problem, we have done our job its now up to them, oh sure help out, but don't tie up another rig as now your prime directive is to get back on the street ... check out Tammy's release from ACoP.

THIS is a HUGE problem in Grande Prairie due to the last conservative "regionalising idea back about 12 years ago" and ties up a many complete Air Ambulance Team's (thats 4 ppl and a KA 200 sitting on a ramp waiting for an overworked GP to take a look and obviously no beds at the INN anyways ?)... and this just because there is not enough RNs in GP, so not my problem I want to eat .... anything !

Lieperts claim that some how hiring Paramedics in the ER ... i.e. doing mini triage before hitting the Triage Desk .... will somehow open more beds up ?.... Man, I so want some of that CHEMOBUD from BC.

6- micpar Is that an abbreviation for something te he : I have stated over and over United we Stand, Divided we FALL (on our faces) joining the strenghth of IAFF may not in the long run address HEALTH CARE ..... IF there is 8 different unions representing Paramedics .. future government negotiators will use this to a huge advantage ... divide and conquer .... the average wage will become the deciding arbitration ruling hey just LOOK to what Calgary learned last go around !

Once again: You have my vote micpar as does I.H. BUT you will have one hell of a PR job on your hands, the rural areas have huge fear daring to go against their local "private for profit employers" so Good Luck with that, and let me know when your in my hood please.

7- EMSEDU .... zactly! are you happily married .... :D

8- imac .... hello wake up, your dreaming again ... :roll:

NOW for your Pleasure and enjoyment sleeper makes a great point !

So check out the Government Bill 41 HEY the MDs don't like it at ALL..... any comments micpar ?

ACoP Told me basically to shut the F up "we are trying to be recognised by HPA" hey maybe HDA is a better option for now... anyway like thats going to work telling me I can't write letters to my MLA.. :twisted:

And now facing April /09 BC direct reciprocity ... yikes, :shock: yet another can of WORMS.

ps (that's called foreshadowing btw)

cheers

[2-annie love you dearly ... but with this "improved utilization concept" .. so your truck could be attempting to find a address in the Hat ... do you feel comfortable with that after a LDT (and no coverage in your community) cause there's no trucks or transfer returns that day?

Oh tniuqs, I love you dearly as well :oops: ....

The very sad fact is, when I have to head to the Hat with a patient, my area is ALWAYS under-covered... always has been.... and although this has been brought to the attention of Medicine Hat, and now Palliser, nothing has changed. I have never been comfortable with that, and never will be, and will continue to be vocal about it. Honestly, in my little neck of the woods, I am not seeing improved utilization - nothing has changed for my unit, except we have uglier uniforms (oops I said that out loud).

Another concern that I have with the superregions is the possibility of "super-dispatch" - my mother told me if I couldn't say something nice, don't say anything at all - but.... I have HUGE fears about this.... we all know how well centralized dispatch is working with the RCMP in Alberta.... how a dispatch for a huge area is not effective. The dispatch staff do not know where the units are, and do not have a good grasp of the regions that the units are in. The EMS/Fire dispatch in Medicine Hat, which already covers all of Palliser Region, has a number of internal issues already... my fear is that those issues will be compounded with the amalgamation of dispatch centres... just my humble opinion.

Mike:

EMT city has more Alberta types than you can imagine, perhaps we could convince admin to start an Alberta forum ... we are rather vocal on EMT city and great input from old devils.

I so tried 8 years ago to have a listserver with ACoP ... motion defeated due money issue? WTF?

OR perhaps they did not WANT us to Communicate ? don't get me going !

PAC site is zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

CPW site just starting out and some teck problems in notification ... har har.

As for facebook contact no freaken way, because I would be plagued with so many admirers ..... (ps thats a joke btw)

Fight the good Fight my "skirted brother" LMFAO!

cheers

hmmm... AB forum? I like the idea!!

Although I agree with echo, I disagree with the way it was put forth. I agree sticking me in downtown calgary trying to find some apartment just because I dropped off a pt at foothills is not in the best interest of that caller!

But I am not against it because I don't want to leave my turf, it is because I will turn downtown Calgary into the biggest traffic jam in history!! :(

You bet your butt these guys have some serious PR to do, but it will not be impossible if they can see the "simple" ways of the small town EMT (P), and I think these guys can!

You betcha they have my vote, I have already planted the seed in my own service about a possible union shift, sure I immediatly met resistance (you know us small towners... status quo has worked thus far) but the door was not slammed shut!

I assume this will be the responce in the majority of services in the rural population.

Hey [s:62390ab003]Mike Par[/s:62390ab003]... OOPS, micpar, let me know the days you head south, I`ll have the coffee on (and a chair for tnuiqs)

You bet your butt these guys have some serious PR to do, but it will not be impossible if they can see the "simple" ways of the small town EMT (P), and I think these guys can!

AGREED!

But maybe a Wheel Chair ?

I have to keep ahead of medicnorth you know ... LOL.

but seriously my focus right now is now on IKE, this is a fucking monster.

i love the idea of an alberta forum!!! especially with the changes that our province/services will be going through!!

i also like the idea of a union for us.... look at the strength is has given nurses!! we could be strong as well, together. i am not normally a union supporter, simply due to the fact at times they seem to get greedy and forget the reason people are in their unionized jobs - usually for the job itself! teachers need more $$, but teachers strikes always made me angry when i was in school...

but i digress... yes AB forum! yes union! and well yes, 2009 shall be a very, VERY interesting year!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.