Alberta takes a step forward.

What union reps have you been talking to about this? Its not the general impression that I'm getting. There are some emergency union meetings scheduled for next week, so hopefully that will bring some transparency to the issue.

The level of care question is a good one. My cynical side says the government may try to push more BLS units onto services just to save money. Of course there will be more than a little PR backlash if they try to lower the level of care. It would be awesome if they mandated some form of ALS in all parts of the province.

Well hells bells it was Gerry from Deadmonton I was quoting thank for the correction:

Union blasts 'essential service' tag

Designation vindictive measure by Tories, critics claim

Jason Markusoff, With files from Kim Guttormson and Renata D'Aliesio, Calgary Herald

The Edmonton Journal; With files from The Calgary Herald

Friday, May 30, 2008

EDMONTON - The Tory government's decision to remove ambulance workers' right to strike will weaken their abilities to push for better contracts, the Edmonton paramedics' union president said Thursday.

Emergency medical services will be deemed an "essential service" in April, once the province's health superboard takes control over ambulance services from municipalities. Last summer, the Tory cabinet prevented a strike by Calgary's EMS by declaring a public emergency days before workers were set to walk off the job and deprive the city of one million people of ambulance services. It led civic leaders to urge the province to declare the work essential.

It had been less of a major issue in Edmonton, where paramedics representative Gerry Wiles protested the government's move.

"It's not that our membership ever wants to go on strike, but it is a bargaining tool," said Wiles, of the Canadian Union of Public Employees.

"And if you take a wrench away from a mechanic, that's a tool they can't do their job very well without sometimes."

Health Minister Ron Liepert argued that having no right to strike shouldn't be too unfamiliar for people working in the life-saving business.

"Most of these people work alongside fire and police and they already don't have the right to strike," he told reporters.

"They work integrated with the health-care system and they don't have the right to strike. So it's our indication that it's not going to be a huge issue."

Calgary's paramedics union is one year away from its current agreement expiring, after it lost its wage-hike demands last year in arbitration.

"Some of the recent difficulties around collective agreements typically are the direct result of not enough funding," said union head Rick Fraser.

"Our issue is not the ability to strike; it's the ability to be heard."

Unions' complaints were tempered somewhat because they generally like the idea of the health superboard overseeing all ambulance services and have long wanted the option to send ambulance patients to places other than emergency wards, which Liepert said he will allow next year.

NDP Leader Brian Mason suggested the essential-service designation might be a vindictive measure following the union-backed Albertans for Change advertising campaign during the provincial election.

"This is unnecessary and quite frankly strikes me as a slap at working people in this province," he said.

Liberal MLA Bridget Pastoor agreed.

"I see more and more things in the province being eroded in terms of fair bargaining practices."

Wiles said EMS crews still have the right to strike in Saskatchewan and British Columbia, which are notoriously more union-friendly than conservative Alberta.

jmarkusoff@thejournal.canwest.com

© The Edmonton Journal 2008

From my understanding of my skimming of the handbook is that the "health region" will be able to a) contract out to a private company or a municipality already or B) start from scratch and aquire their own "EMS agency" or C) a combination of both A and B ?

Sounds like there is still chances for abuse by private company's, i'll have to look more into it but that then means if they contact out the province wont have full control of wages of certain agencies?

(I've looked at too much text today with my patho text book to read more into it.) :D

thanks for the article.

I understand where the Edmonton union rep was coming from. However, I think that the notion of striking as a bargaining tool is a specious argument at best. As was proven in Calgary this past year, when a service threatens to strike the government simply steps in, declares an emergency and makes it illegal to walkout. Judging by the terrible settlement we received from the city, I would say that it wasn't a particularly potent bargaining tool anyway.

Oops I think someone's opened pandora's box a little to soon.

Why I say this is, the hard cold facts of the issues are never a solved problem, even with the high cost of living here in Calgary.

If you think your ER is in bad straights, and you think non-positive attitude, then the world is a never ending chaos. :roll:

Do we really need people in Parliment running Canada, and us?

Heck no they should go!

That's just my opinon.

thanks for the article.

I understand where the Edmonton union rep was coming from. However, I think that the notion of striking as a bargaining tool is a specious argument at best. As was proven in Calgary this past year, when a service threatens to strike the government simply steps in, declares an emergency and makes it illegal to walkout. Judging by the terrible settlement we received from the city, I would say that it wasn't a particularly potent bargaining tool anyway.

I see your point as "declaring a local emergency" and making it illegal to walk, legal or not many groups have and will continue to do so. At the end of the day, no one really benefits from a walk out or strike, it sets back everyone's pocket book, if one does the math, unfortunately in Mr. Lieperts statements to the press he is under the assumption that EMS workers should be familiar with that (the loss of the right to withold services)..... never say never .... I'd say.

The walk out by Edmonton Ambulance Authority many, many years ago was true chaos, as a later result many heads rolled after the drama and it brought about many changes. The not so prepared supervisors driving skills assured that body shops profited in a major way, and still laughing about that one, very good thing no one was killed.

Judging by the terrible settlement we received from the city, I would say that it wasn't a particularly potent bargaining tool anyway.

What would have made a better and much sharper tool is that the entire province of EMS workers to back their brothers and sisters or perhaps the union was banking on that they would receive more than the pittance they did receive through binding arbitration. but that was the city of Calgarys purse then and now it will be the Provincial wallet and its way fatter.

This opening of Pandora's box just may result in labour organising on a provincial scale.

Even though Shane's nose is stuck in a book on the state of diseases, some situational irony perhaps in this case. He does make some good point's, this could open the door to very large corporations bidding on contracts and further eroding the quality of care (although we are assured in the booklet that this will never happen :^(

I always find it amusing there is no signatures at the bottom of this plan, I sure wish I could do that on my cheques, my chequebook would always balance then.

No where in the government publication did I see improved funding for education or more stringent standards for the levels of training even hinted. Allowing for just one individual to become the head of the EMS state of affairs is very undemocratic, it so smacks of a dictatorship. I think his lifespan of rule will very limited as one perceived error by Cesar and a thumbs down, the crowd will roar ... sorry, was watching gladiator last night.

How this "restructuring" of the transport of patients will some how change the number of beds available in ER or the Hospitals in general is a bloody red herring an appeasement move perhaps, IMHO to "make it appear" to the taxpayers that something is being accomplished, when it is really affecting the publics right to choice.

ps Wendy T. it is "not" the Parliament in the province it is called the Legislature, and the conservative sweeping victory in the last general election, by an estimated whopping 22 % of the population's popular support, or those that even bothered to vote in this last election. Is it apathy that is the problem here or have people just given up on politics entirely in Alberta, frankly I just can't see how "flower power" or a chicken little "the sky is falling" or chanting slogans will make any difference at all.

I do agree with your statement regarding Pandora's Box although, I was hoping for something more than the introduction of an concept or a real action plan, and here's my bet .... the moneys for transition will be doubled before anything is accomplished, hey maybe I could get on a comittee it pays well and they always have donuts.

Well: I was eating pickled eggs last night and something is starting to smell around here.

Maybe best to shut down my computer for fear of explosion.

cheers

Read the handbook through (albeit quickly). The governance model does not sound too much different than what we have here in Ontario. What is different is the delivery options, which was just about what we used to have. private, publicly funded, providers and hospital providers for the most part. Now it is governed and dispatched by the province, and delivered by the municipalities, which is pretty good for all. Municipalities are as responsible as any employer, and perhaps more secure than private operators. As well, since most are "upper tier", or regional, they do not have direct responsibility for fire, which keeps the "fire-medic" debate to a minimum. wages are good, and pretty consistent.

The provincial group is part of the ministry of health, which keeps us plugged into the hospitals et al on the health side.

I think you would just want to keep an eye on the big red machine out there, in case municipal bidders intend to stuff EMS under fire (cause the chief says it makes sense to him)

Anyway, good luck, we'll be watching with interest.

Read the handbook through (albeit quickly). The governance model does not sound too much different than what we have here in Ontario. What is different is the delivery options, which was just about what we used to have. private, publicly funded, providers and hospital providers for the most part. Now it is governed and dispatched by the province, and delivered by the municipalities, which is pretty good for all. Municipalities are as responsible as any employer, and perhaps more secure than private operators. As well, since most are "upper tier", or regional, they do not have direct responsibility for fire, which keeps the "fire-medic" debate to a minimum. wages are good, and pretty consistent.

The provincial group is part of the ministry of health, which keeps us plugged into the hospitals et al on the health side.

I think you would just want to keep an eye on the big red machine out there, in case municipal bidders intend to stuff EMS under fire (cause the chief says it makes sense to him)

Anyway, good luck, we'll be watching with interest.

Yes I must agree with your tenor and opinion's from you post # you are new to this site and I feel obligated to greet you, wiil be looking forward to you input as an outsiders view looking in.

Yes it has been quite a busy week for Mr Stelmach.

1- Large labour group (s) are poised on the steps of the Legislature, protesting the new improved Labour regulations, thing is I think the Gov. may have twarted one of the big red machines options and not in the handbook. btw we have another type Big red machine here too they have a lotteries fund .. thank you Ralphy.

2- The opposition is up in arms unfortunately a very tiny voice these days.

3- "Restructuring" Health Care with a Superboard administration to improve the system ?

4- EMS restructuring is being recieved with caution but some optimism/ apathy.

5- The rather HUGE MLA raise, and slipped under the rug .. at least their trying to, justification to increase the 'cat bird seat' based on the estimated salary of the leader of the oppositions salary ... comedic.

Instead of remaining the "status quo" which personally I find acceptable and just provide for the increases of municipalities budgets to provide and plan for solutions to resolve the EMS underfunding issues in there communities. In the majority of cases EMS services are quite stellar including many rural of operations and "correct me if I am wrong" more ALS services in those outlying communities per capita than Ontario ?

But in this Conservative Government's wisdom they have felt fit a fitting time to change dang near everything, I can't get my head around why they just did not just provide the much needed cash to the municipalities, maybe by removing the cash removes the control ?

Rats I missed the early news, well all in all this is quite entertaining, but everyone forgot the price of gas ? sheesh.

cheers

Thanks squint for the welcome. I read fairly regularly, but don't post alot.

This situation caught my eye since Ontario had quite an upheaval not so long ago. Pros of municipal control is responsiveness as you pointed out. Cons are non-responsiveness, due to apathy, affordability etc. With the province regulating and funding 50%, it provides a kind of checque and balance (pun intended)

You are correct about ALS capture, and it perfectly illustrates the point. It is not mandatory, and is provided at the discretion of the municipal council.

It is all a question of tolerance by a) the patient and B) the taxpayer. When either one cries uncle, something happens. People will pay for what they want to pay for.

What would have made a better and much sharper tool is that the entire province of EMS workers to back their brothers and sisters or perhaps the union was banking on that they would receive more than the pittance they did receive through binding arbitration. but that was the city of Calgarys purse then and now it will be the Provincial wallet and its way fatter.

Good point. The union really was expecting a substantial improvement over the city's offer when things went to binding arbitration. Looking back on it, maybe some members of the legislature put some pressure on the arbitrator to maintain the status quo. That way, when the province takes over they wont have to bring the rest of the province in line with a precedent of higher wages set in Calgary.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.