Syncope + Swollen penis = ??

mobey

"way bigger than normal", she says "I thought it might explode".

Man.... If I had a nickel for every time a woman said this to me...

We had a 75 y/o or so male we picked up for sever pain and slight swelling in his right knee who claimed he was dealing with the pain, but his wife noticed the swelling while he was getting out of the shower that morning and alarmed them.

The medic said, "You were getting out of the shower naked and your wife was looking at you knees?!? What's up with that!?"

The man, without missing a beat said, "I'll let you think about that for a minute."

Medic....?...."Oh man! you're my hero!!"

Dwayne

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the patient take any medications? Terazosin has been associated with syncope and priapism. Actually, this is possible with many alpha blockers. Any alternative therapies or herbal therapies? What does the physical exam tell us? Is there any chance she was looking at the testicles? Ruling out a hernia may be in order.

We should do a 12 lead and obtain a BGL. Listen for bilat carotid bruit as well.

Take care,

chbare.

Take care,

chbare.

• 4 weeks later...

Lucky guy. :wink:

Any chance he struck his back on the toilet on the way down? Sounds like he may have a pinched nerve left over from temporary swelling around the spine from the impact. Maybe have a check for lumbar spine injuries? Just a thought

Yeah well Mr Jess aka EMTDON would worry about a swollen member--needs some penicillin for sure........Need to watch when and where that goes, left hand or right hand. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Any chance he struck his back on the toilet on the way down? Sounds like he may have a pinched nerve left over from temporary swelling around the spine from the impact. Maybe have a check for lumbar spine injuries? Just a thought

When someone finds out what the mystery is, can you post it.Thanks. :)

If you want to look for a zebra, check for dependent edema..... depending on where he was at the time, i.e. recliner, there could be a fluid overload problem..... he does have varicose veins which means he already probably has fluid issues.

chbare is thinking along the same lines.... JVD and listening for bruits could be meaningful. Checking glucose is always appropriate in a syncope pt.

The other option is Kaisu's theory..... circulation was transferred from one head to the other..... got a boner and passed out.

The other option is Kaisu's theory..... circulation was transferred from one head to the other..... got a boner and passed out.

Was he hung like a horse and the transfer of blood was too great?