Should EMTs Have to Babysit Their Medics?

suzeg487

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, you know, this is what really pisses me off about this fucking profession. I will take all the of the "you're anti-EMT-B" brunt that goes with this, but here is my little rant.

People here have posted some really intelligent, well thought out, well researched posts, and mixed in with them is this crap.

You know what Asysin? You make my blood boil. I am not nor did I claim to be anything special, I was asked a question and I gave the honest answer. So why in the world do you want to go back and slam me like that? This thread was a good one until you just had to put your trash in! I WAS ASKED A QUESTION!! If the one who asked me the question had an issue with my answer then allow them to respond but you need to BACK OFF! All you are trying to do is stir crap and throw mud! And why me? YOU have done this to me many times!

And you know what Asysin?

It does not’ say very much about you at all. Gives us a good insight of what and who you are. I have NO respect. YEP ZERO respect for you for taking this stance.

I am sorry if my medics failed to notice. I didn’t do it! I did not ask for it to happen that way! I wish it could have been different, and for their sake I wish they would have been the ones to notice BUT THEY DIDN’T!! I never said or insinuated that they where bad medics. I never gave the presence that they couldn’t do their job with out me. I just was going with the flow of Mistakes can and do happen, and in this case I caught it. If you read back over all the other postings, you will see where Jess started with the “questions” all I did was include that I had used this approach not to question my medics ability but to just ask the obvious that was being over looked.

Don’t jump down my throat and diss me because I was in this position. Keep your cheap Pot Shots to your self!

Now, earlier AK said my posting was “wrought with emotion” well that posting wasn’t, BUT THIS ONE IS!!!

Are all ya’ll happy now?!

You know what Asysin? You make my blood boil. I am not nor did I claim to be anything special, I was asked a question and I gave the honest answer. So why in the world do you want to go back and slam me like that? This thread was a good one until you just had to put your trash in! I WAS ASKED A QUESTION!! If the one who asked me the question had an issue with my answer then allow them to respond but you need to BACK OFF! All you are trying to do is stir crap and throw mud! And why me? YOU have done this to me many times!

And you know what Asysin?

It does not’ say very much about you at all. Gives us a good insight of what and who you are. I have NO respect. YEP ZERO respect for you for taking this stance.

I am sorry if my medics failed to notice. I didn’t do it! I did not ask for it to happen that way! I wish it could have been different, and for their sake I wish they would have been the ones to notice BUT THEY DIDN’T!! I never said or insinuated that they where bad medics. I never gave the presence that they couldn’t do their job with out me. I just was going with the flow of Mistakes can and do happen, and in this case I caught it. If you read back over all the other postings, you will see where Jess started with the “questions” all I did was include that I had used this approach not to question my medics ability but to just ask the obvious that was being over looked.

Don’t jump down my throat and diss me because I was in this position. Keep your cheap Pot Shots to your self!

Now, earlier AK said my posting was “wrought with emotion” well that posting wasn’t, BUT THIS ONE IS!!!

Are all ya’ll happy now?!

Uh huh. Like I said, I saw this coming. Sure, I got a little annoyed, so here it is again, after a good night's sleep. I have heard this story before, many times, from many different EMT-B's, and it's always the same. It's always the medics who missed the life threatening bleed because they were too focused on the IV, and it always ends with an oversimplified version of fluid replacement with Normal Saline for hypovolemia is inadequate without bleeding control. Anyway, I'm really glad to hear that once again, having a keen eye and all that trumped professional, physician directed training and education.

Now that I said that, after this bleed was noticed, you immediately applied pressure at the femoral pulse point right? And constant pressure was held until surgical intervention at the trauma facility? Or did you just give up and tie a tourniquet? Just wondering how it turned out.

Uh huh. Like I said, I saw this coming. Sure, I got a little annoyed, so here it is again, after a good night's sleep. I have heard this story before, many times, from many different EMT-B's, and it's always the same. It's always the medics who missed the life threatening bleed because they were too focused on the IV, and it always ends with an oversimplified version of fluid replacement with Normal Saline for hypovolemia is inadequate without bleeding control. Anyway, I'm really glad to hear that once again, having a keen eye and all that trumped professional, physician directed training and education.

Now that I said that, after this bleed was noticed, you immediately applied pressure at the femoral pulse point right? And constant pressure was held until surgical intervention at the trauma facility? Or did you just give up and tie a tourniquet? Just wondering how it turned out.

Is it just me, or does anyone else see something wrong here? IF you have heard this same ole story time and again……then WHY I ask you is it happening TIME AND AGAIN?

Hhhhmmm just a thought. Again, just pointing out the obvious.

AND as far as what happened, thanks to Early Activation an Aircraft had already been launched and was 5 minutes out. What was a mention of “cancel that air craft this one can go by ground” just became a “thank GOD this one needs to go straight to the vasculiar surgeon”. As for what we did, it was the Popliteal artery BEHIND the Knee so yes direct pressure was applied the knee was bent to raise the laceration ……

And as for YOU Asysin……well I will refrain from what I REALLY want to say out of respect for others…

Is it just me, or does anyone else see something wrong here? IF you have heard this same ole story time and again……then WHY I ask you is it happening TIME AND AGAIN?

Well, it could be because of idiot medics that are screwing up or because basics think that there's a set order for assessment and treatment and that any variation on their personal order (or the order they've been told) is bad. The truth is somewhere between those extremes.

As for what we did, it was the Popliteal artery BEHIND the Knee so yes direct pressure was applied the knee was bent to raise the laceration ……

The popliteal artery behind the knee? Is there another popliteal that's in front of the knee?

The title of this thread did indeed provoke me to assume a very negative first impression. It is very important to provide specific information and ask specific questions when looking for a specific answer when on line. It is very difficult to interpret concepts such as tone and intent when online, so, the importance of a good first impression when thinking of a thread title cannot be emphasized enough.

If I understand the "actual question," then the answer should be quite simple. Yes, it is appropriate to question the delivery of care. However, I suspect much of the problem may be related to the fact that some EMT's may not see the big picture. For example, a COPD patient may have A-fib or a paced rhythm and receive a breathing treatment. I could see how somebody who cannot appreciate the situation could develop concern and think the medic was wrong for "giving a breathing treatment for an arrhythmia."

With the information I current have, I do not understand why this is an issue. Good communication with your partner should solve the problem or bring to light the fact that a real problem with care delivery exists. Either way, the answer to the question is in fact related to the title of this thread. Communication.

Take care,

chbare.