Should EMTs Have to Babysit Their Medics?

suzeg487

Hmmm...seems like the catch-all reply against EMTs questioning medics can always be: Was it the medic making a mistake or was the medic inadequate, and often suggesting that for a mistake to be made the medic must be inadequate. Realistically, I don't think that's the case.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some that will never see how things need to change. I have worked with some great EMT-B's, but I always push them to go on to medic school. If EMS is your passion and the career you want, then you have no other choice but to become better and want to improve the care that is provided to the public.

You say that this forum does not reflect how it is in your neck of the woods. This forum is made up of people from all over the world. When you have this many people that are pushing for change in a better direction, that should tell you that the majority of EMS do not feel the same way as the people around you.

EMT is a stepping stone to better care and education. I push EMT's to further their education. But, I'm sorry, i have no need for career EMT's that are satisfied with minimal education and BLS care. That is not in the best interest of our pt's.

So I may sound like I am bashing EMT's, that is far from the truth. You can look back at old post. I defend EMT's for wanting to learn. I just don't like ones that "Settle".

"incognitogirl, I do have a simple question that will determine much in this discussion. Do you believe that 110 hours of training with 2 hours of anatomy and physiology and 1 hour of pharmacology is enough time to make, what is in essence (i.e. highest medical provider providing care to a patient without direct oversight), an independent medical provider?"

Okay, since I started this mess, it's time to jump back into the fray again...

To be fair, I can understand the frustration that Incognitogirl feels - even though I'm not one of them, I know a lot of BLS providers that feel the same way.

Being an EMS instructor, I feel that the standard EMT class is enough to get a student started out in the field. It's the student's responsibility to keep learning new skills, such as taking PHTLS, BTLS, GEMS, etc. I'll probably get crucified at this point, but I've begged one of the EMS chiefs that runs the ALCS and PALS courses at our local hospital to allow EMTs to sit in on them - not to be able to practice the skills, of course, but just to have MORE knowledge and understanding of the theory behind the skills.

If your skills are that good that you're getting noticed and encouraged by the medics to do something about it - DO IT!

Hmmm...seems like the catch-all reply against EMTs questioning medics can always be: Was it the medic making a mistake or was the medic inadequate, and often suggesting that for a mistake to be made the medic must be inadequate. Realistically, I don't think that's the case.

Sorry was not my intent. By no means does one have to be inadequate to make mistakes, I have done my fair share.

I am tired of the frame of thought that "I saved them cause I am BLS and they were focusing on ALS". I worked for years in an all ALS system, does this mean we screwed up a lot cause there were no Basics to save us? Possibly since there were no basics around to tell us and report it and obviously we would not know ourselves...lol.

This is what I was trying to imply. Anyone could of made that statement, it was not made only because a lower level provider was on scene.

Being an EMS instructor, I feel that the standard EMT class is enough to get a student started out in the field. It's the student's responsibility to keep learning new skills, such as taking PHTLS, BTLS, GEMS, etc. I'll probably get crucified at this point, but I've begged one of the EMS chiefs that runs the ALCS and PALS courses at our local hospital to allow EMTs to sit in on them - not to be able to practice the skills, of course, but just to have MORE knowledge and understanding of the theory behind the skills.

If your skills are that good that you're getting noticed and encouraged by the medics to do something about it - DO IT!

You shouldn't be affraid of being crucified for this statement. NOT only is it an excellent Idea I have, (and can provide proof) completed PHTLS, PALS and NRP (Neonate Recesitation Program). This does not mean in any way that I am out in the field intibating newborn babies BUT I can be ready to follow my medics every step and preceed what he needs before the speaks it.

I am tired of the frame of thought that "I saved them cause I am BLS and they were focusing on ALS".
Gotcha. Honestly, I don't think there's too much of that HERE, at EMTCity. My personal view is that EMTs help Medics, Medics help EMTs. Both by virtue of simply being an extra person at the scene, not by being smarter or more focused on BLS than the other, usually. Though, realistically, medics save waaaaaaay more EMTs than the other way around. ;D :lol:

Suzeg, the thing about taking all those other classes is that they're all still BLS level with minimal in-depth training. I think when people talk about continuing education, they mainly mean increasing with A&P, Intermediate or Paramedic training, THEN upkeeping their skills with those extra courses.

That aside, I definitely think EMTs should be taking classes like PHTLS and sitting in or actually taking ALS classes so they're (almost?) on the same page as far as specific subtopics like a pediatric resuscitation to help the scene go smoother.

My goal is to be as "least clueless" as possible on-scenes :D:D

I understand exactly what you're saying Anthony. I'm just a huge proponent of there are a ton of opportunities out there, both educational and career-wise, just waiting to be taken advange of.

I guess it depends on the comfort level of the student how far they want to take things. I'm almost ashamed to say that it's taken this long for the medics to "bully" me into going through paramedic school. But that doesn't mean I haven't been trying to better my skills in the meantime. I'm ready and looking forward to the challenge!

This thread, and the "fire" thread have turned out to be the most productive, quality threads we've seen here in quite a while!

Of course the intellect and experience needed to say anything intelligent has gone way beyond me...so I'm just sayin'...Good job all! :D

Dwayne