Should EMTs Have to Babysit Their Medics?

suzeg487

Because the protocols say we can! That's good enough for the EMTs. :roll:

The simple fact is that paramedics tend to run hot with patients a lot less often than EMTs do, but there is a good reason for that. Having over ten times the education and experience of an EMT, a medic can better determine the patient's condition and needs. Comfortable with that information, they don't have to bust arse to the ER, as an EMT would do, just because they're either stumped as to what is going on, or stumped as to what to do for them. Seems like this has already been said here multiple times, yet some people FAIL to get it. And that is why their input is resented by paramedics. If all you want to do is mouth off, but not listen and learn, you're going nowhere as an EMT.

Calling a provider "lazy" because he deprived you of the cheap thrill of driving like a maniac is pretty selfish, low-level thinking. Definitely not medic material.

The arsenal that an EMT has to use to treat patients is so much less than what paramedics have that many many times the only thing for the EMT crew to do is to get to the hospital where the patient can get to definitive treatment.

If you have a limited scope of practice and a limited amount of tools of the trade, the allergic reaction or the MI patient has to suffer with only Oxygen and transport. Often to the detriment of the patient.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I don't...quite the contrary. Your comments just make the case for what we have

"discussed" in other threads...you know the indomitable, "BLS is..limited scope of practice...nothing to offer but oxygen and transport...compromising patient care...why do we still have this level of provider..." argument :shock:

I just didn't want to make this a "..then why do we have BLS?" dragout...ya know.

Oh well..there it is. :roll:

I have also seen medics over treat patients, too. When in EMT school, the teacher was a medic and a very damn good one at that, she always said that it is better to over treat than to under treat. I still follow that to this day.

I know people are going to and read this and post what they think, and that is ok by me.

That is why I wrote this, to get people thinking and talking.

If you over or under treat, then you inappropriately treated the patient. The example of giving Epi for bee sting that was not truly anaphylactic reaction rather a reaction, then the patient was treated inappropriately, not over treated. etc..

R/r 911

but don't you know, everything here eventually gets sucked into the basics versus medics thought process.

From page 3...

Sorry for not answering D-man but I've answered questions like this numerous times and it gets a little old. Plus I know where this thread is going. Hurt feelings, Basic vs Medic, snappy comebacks, LOCKED.

Am I psychic or what? :wink:

If you over or under treat, then you inappropriately treated the patient. The example of giving Epi for bee sting that was not truly anaphylactic reaction rather a reaction, then the patient was treated inappropriately, not over treated. etc..

R/r 911

Law number 13: The delivery of medical care is to do as much nothing as possible.

I think people forget that EMT's and Paramedics are special people and we should work towards good pt. care and out comes. It's not about ALS/BLS, we all share the same skills. I have been an EMT for 3 years and my skill level is very high! I read and research tons of material. I am good at what I do,and many paramedics think I am special. I have a gift. I started at least 3 IV's in 2 months. I know what I'm doing. :wink: