Do you help off duty?

LisaO925

LOL! Years back, I got into a wreck a few blocks from my house. The engine crew that showed up were all friends of mine, and the medic went to medic school with me. The ambulance crew were both former partners of mine. The cop went to the police academy with me. At the hospital, the doc and the nurse were both former co-workers of mine. And to top it off, the woman who I collided with was the wife of our regional state EMS officer, who I had known for years. Now that is a REAL old home week!

Thats one hell of a family reunion there Dust!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have only came across 1 accident where EMS wasn't already on scene. T'was a single vehicle rollover, there was a passerby stopped and I could see him pulling the driver out of his overturned vehicle by one arm. I slowed down then accelerated hard. My wife asked if I was going to stop to which I replied "I don't need any part of that court case"

I think the only time I would stop is if no one else has yet. Probably just ensure airway patency, check for a pulse and do C-Spine (after calling 911 that is). And I would only do those things if I had gloves if there was any blood present....

I am not willing to infect myself with Hep-C to stabilize a patient. I would just tell them not to move, and keep them calm from a distance (never telling them I'm a medic).

Of course if she was hot I'd heroically wrap my stethoscope around my neck and ask for her number while she's still shaken and rattled from the reck :)

I live in Northeastern CT and the rule here is that once you approach the scene, even off duty, you are supposed to help. Now I don't mean just driving by a MVA, but if you get out of your car and start heading toward the accident then you cannot stop and turn around. I thought that was pretty interesting when i heard that.

Well I have only came across 1 accident where EMS wasn't already on scene. T'was a single vehicle rollover, there was a passerby stopped and I could see him pulling the driver out of his overturned vehicle by one arm. I slowed down then accelerated hard. My wife asked if I was going to stop to which I replied "I don't need any part of that court case"

LOL!

Nearly twenty years ago, my partner (who was also my roommate) and I were driving home after an overnight shift, and came upon a particularly nasty wreck scene in a little rural town on our way. FD, PD, and one ambulance were already on scene, but there were obviously multiple patients of a serious, high speed wreck. We glanced around the scene as we drove through, and discussed it as we passed by. We had already passed by when I said to my partner, "Did you see that? There was a pair of legs hanging out the back window of that car in the front yard!" My partner -- who had been a medic even longer than me -- suddenly said, "Aren't you going to go back?!?" A little surprised, I asked, "What for?" He hesitated, then finally said, "Because! It's not every day you get to see a pair of legs hanging out a back window!"

:lol:

I had always stopped and helped, especially if it was in our district. I was on my way to my parent's and had a couple of units pass by me. There was a three vehicle MVA, along with a bass boat that was being towed, at a notorious intersection. Three dead. The survivors had already been transported but I stopped anyway. I wound up assisting getting the dead extricated and doing the deputy coroner bit. I was there a good hour when I noticed that one driver that was covered up had his feet sticking out. He was wearing these old slippers that I recognized. I was like, no...it can't be. I looked over the shoulder of the Trooper that was filling out some paper work and saw the man's driver's license. It was the father of one of my best friends I grew up with. That man had taken me squirrel and rabbit hunting and fishing many times. I was floored to say the least. To shorten the story some-what, I went ahead and ID'd the body so the family didn't have to. It was one of the hardest days of my professional career.

I always tend to pull up and have my window down close enough to where someone on the scene can hear me and ask if any assistance is needed. But once I did stop, it was like people were doing shot gun, taking patience out of vehicles left and right, guess what I assisted with lol, I assisted the state cop with the dog to the vet office, in which she didnt make it either I heard the next day.. So we all wonder , I think use your first instinct , it will come to you whether or not to stop..

I make sure to turn on all 16 strobe bars on the truck before jumping out with my portable extrication gear.

Never hurts to have a couple of extra scopes to hand out to the boys on scene either.

Make sure that you mark all of yer backboards, spider straps and c collars so the good folks at the ED can get em returned to ya to put back under the tonneau cover....

God...couldn't resist.....

Don't Do This! I was a EMT B, for all of about 6 months, working nights on BLS transfer truck. Driving home in December and see a accident right in front of me. Head on collision truck vs. compact car. I am blocked in and due to my wonderful "star of life" sticker on vehicle, asked to help by bystanders. The City EMS truck shows up and I am holding pressure on womans forehead(which was bleeding but very little). The City medic says "Where is your truck?" I say HUGH? Then it occurred to me, I am wearing private service jacket(also has ALS units). He had to get on the radio and call for an additional unit. That is the wanker stuff that you don't want to do!!!! Did I help, absolutely not, made things worse because the medic, thought, private ambulance was there. Just think before acting!

Lisa you are more than normal! Your attitude is what makes you a great medic! :( Don't ever feel like you shouldn't ask if they need help. In small communities they more than likely could always use help! Even if it's just to help direct traffic or talk to bystanders. Besides they can tell you no if they don' t need it. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.