Do you help off duty?

LisaO925

Lisa you are more than normal! Your attitude is what makes you a great medic! :( Don't ever feel like you shouldn't ask if they need help. In small communities they more than likely could always use help! Even if it's just to help direct traffic or talk to bystanders. Besides they can tell you no if they don' t need it. :D

Medics don't direct traffic. Police do. And what exactly are you talking to the bystanders about? The weather?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for one just because you are an emt doesn't mean you are no longer a civilian. People involved in wrecks have all kinds of needs....not just bleeding and trauma. The bystanders are also going through the stress and any scene could go bad becuase a bystander flips out. If you've been in EMS very long you should know that. And directing traffic is ok if you are off duty.....maybe the police haven't made it there or the traffic is heavy volume...anything can happen

Driving home in December and see a accident right in front of me. Head on collision truck vs. compact car. I am blocked in and due to my wonderful "star of life" sticker on vehicle, asked to help by bystanders.

I call BS.

I find it hard to believe that you just happened to run across the only non-EMS civilian in the state who actually recognises a Star of Life and has any idea what it means.

for one just because you are an emt doesn't mean you are no longer a civilian. People involved in wrecks have all kinds of needs....not just bleeding and trauma. The bystanders are also going through the stress and any scene could go bad becuase a bystander flips out. If you've been in EMS very long you should know that. And directing traffic is ok if you are off duty.....maybe the police haven't made it there or the traffic is heavy volume...anything can happen

Uh huh. I've been in EMS long enough to be laid up with a couple of injuries when a bystander "flips out", and since I really don't like it happening when I'm on duty, I would try to avoid it happening off duty as well. Secondly, standing in the road without proper reflective gear is known as "playing in traffic", also not such a good idea. Like my previous posts said, I'm sure the bystanders can use someone to talk to, but getting run over by a car doing so just isn't worth it.

BTW, what exactly happens in your neck of the woods that you routinely have dozens of shell shocked bystanders milling about here and there? Lots of plane crashes?

Lisa you are more than normal! Your attitude is what makes you a great medic! :lol: Don't ever feel like you shouldn't ask if they need help. In small communities they more than likely could always use help! Even if it's just to help direct traffic or talk to bystanders. Besides they can tell you no if they don' t need it. :)

Thanks...

School started 3 weeks ago. Its going pretty fast, but I am loving every minute of it. The first exam was on Thursday, and I was 1 of 4 out of 50 students who scored 100%. It feels right, and comfortable. I haven't started to stress yet about anything I have read, or anything from lecture, or even lab yet. I am sure I will as it gets more in depth. I really like my teachers, and feel very at home.

I do not want to get too cocky though, so I keep trying to ground myself and tell myself that it will get harder, and to just keep studying as hard as I am..

I am worried about the Paramedic part of the program though. Even though its still some months off, I keep thinking ahead, and get flustered about that. Esp. since the teachers like to remind everyone how EMT-B is nothing compared to that!

I start my ride alongs at the end of February. I've asked to do more than the 2 ride alongs they want for the class. I want to do a night run, a day run, a weekend run, and whatever else I can get into.

believe me you are abnormal...to a non-ems person which is why all that you said and felt is TOTALLY normal for an ems privider. the day that scene doesn't get your heart going is the day you should take your go-in bag and throw it all away and retire. -nuker34

Secondly, standing in the road without proper reflective gear is known as "playing in traffic", also not such a good idea. Like my previous posts said, I'm sure the bystanders can use someone to talk to, but getting run over by a car doing so just isn't worth it.

You make it sound like you are so much safer in reflective gear.

I think you forgot that peoples windshields somehow contort the stripes into the shape of a bullseye.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.