Do you help off duty?

LisaO925

I just went past a horrific two car accident, basically, both cars were shredded. I was obviously late, because there was only one medic unit there, 6 cop cars, and two fire engines. IM assuming the accident was atleast half an hour old. We live in a small town, so it didn't take long for anyone to respond. But, there wasn't even a tow truck there yet. So, driving past the accident, seeing parts, bits, and pieces of both cars ALL OVER the road, my heart started racing. I got excited. I wanted to jump in, to help, to be there. So it hit me, maybe IM just a sick freak who wants to rubber neck and thats why I want to be a medic?? I am also very nosey, and like to know all I can about things like that. In a sick way, it fascinates me. I am just chomping at the bit to be apart of that.

Do any of you "help" or offer to help out if you come across an accident when your off duty? Or are you just sick of it and keep in mind that help is on its way, or already there, and keep going?

Is it wrong to feel the way I do. Yes I want to help, yes I want to save lives, but I also just want to be apart of that, to jump in, see everything, and do what I can?

If its okay or normal to be excited (IM assuming because IM green, fresh, just a student thats why I feel the way I do) and have that rush seeing that, does it wear off over time, or go away?

For years and years I have felt that this is what I need and want to do. I would even do this with NO pay. If I only had to volunteer, I would.

I just want to know that Im somewhat normal??? :oops: :)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s perfectly normal! I do the same thing when I go to MVAs with Fire. I stand there with my charged line pointing at the engine watching the medics work (fire isn’t ems based here) wanting to jump in and help.

This excitement you deliberate about is just an adrenaline rush, you’ll get over it once you’ve got some experience.

As for stopping and helping, can’t hurt. Make sure you speak with the medic OIC and get their permission. When you say 2 cars completely wreaked and one medic truck that may be a signal for help, they may very well have 6 pts and only 2 of them.

As far as stopping normally not unless it's my area with crews that know me. If lots of cars involved I might stop and offer to help if they want me but usually not.

The excitement dies down quite a bit. I find very few really pump me up. Don't get me wrong still love what I do and the occasional adrenalin rush is fine with me.

When you say 2 cars completely wreaked and one medic truck that may be a signal for help, they may very well have 6 pts and only 2 of them.

There was no rush with any of the EMS. And none of the cars were tarped. The one abmulance that was there, was in the middle of the road with the back open. But nobody in the back working. Infact, I didn't even see the medics. Just a handful of FF's in a circle, talking, and the cops walking around. Thats what made me think that the accident was well over with. IM sure the PT's were gone, and being taken care of. My guess is that ambulance that was there was an extra one dispatched just incase. Like I said, small town. I think every single cop car in this town was there, and a few from the next town over..lol

I tend to help out by asking if anyone needs any help; like that. I usually know my boundaries legally, and if not, I'll ask.

"Normal" is a very relative statement. Yes you're normal because you're weird just like the rest of us. Know your boundaries. Don't go past them.

Hope this helps

While I would not rule out the "sicko freak" possibility, it's not probable. You have to evaluate for yourself what your motives were. Only you know. But seeing a big ugly scene like that tends to make most people's pulse quicken as they ponder the possibilities. Especially n00bs, because you start wondering if you have what it takes to actually be a help, and not a hindrance. Until you hit your stride after a LOT of education, a LOT of training, and a LOT of experience, you will always get that adrenaline rush as a result of self-doubt, regardless of whether or not the "cool" factor excites you.

Unless you have that big amount of education, training, and experience (years, not hours or runs), there is a good chance that you stopping will be more a hindrance to those on scene than a help. If you don't have a lot of experience, chances are that just the act of parking your vehicle is either going to fark up traffic or the crime scene, not to mention put you at risk by getting run over by some other rubbernecker who isn't watching where the fark she's going. I lost track of the number of times my ambulance, fire truck, or police cruiser has been crashed into on a wreck scene by rubberneckers. And I've buried a few friends who were run over on scenes too.

Generally speaking, stopping is very rarely ever a good idea, especially at a scene where authorities are already on scene. The decision is up to you, and will depend on your area, how the system works, and what kind of resources they have. It also depends on your willingness to risk your life -- the life of your family's provider/daughter/sister/wife -- just for the chance to see something gross. As an EMT-B, the chances of you actually offering something of life-or-death value on such a scene are so very remote that it's statistically insignificant, so think real hard before you decide this is something you should do.

I was recently at one of those MVCs were you can’t tell what sort of car it was…

Within 10 minutes of the incident happening the police had the highway blocked.

I find the police are normally really good here, if you want the road closed consider it done. Failing this the firefighters may take a traffic pole thing and slow the traffic 300 meters each side of the incident. Australia is currently trying to pass a law, if you see red/blue flashing lights it’s an automatic slow to 40kmh or face a big fine. We normally park the fire trucks to shield the incident. I feel pretty safe at most incidents. If you’re in your POV I normally park about 200 meters away from the incident, if possible 6 meters from the road, right out of the way.

I admit, I'll rubber neck if it's an obviously BAD car accident. If no one's on-scene, I'll slow enough to make sure no one's laid out on the road or slumped over the wheel, otherwise there's not much I can do. If EMS is already on scene, it would take a LOT to get me to stop...I'm talking MCI with obvious critical patients. It's confusing have plain-clothes people on-scene and usually there's not much you can do.

Just take comfort that you'd be able to respond to that if needed and that you can ask about the accident your next day at work. That the EMS crews have stuff handled and you're off-duty. :lol:

I would say if no one had responded yet, possibly fresh MVC..stop and be sure that the potential patients are alert, breathing, maintain calm, and are not dragged out unnecessarily and injured by other bystanders.

As soon as the professionals on duty arrive, it is most often wise to back off as they have their own way of doing things....most often.

Above all, don't get in the way. Being new, this can be very easy to do and can only end bad in most cases. If they don't mind you watching, stand back and learn!!! Keep yourself safe........

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.